ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all :)

My Canadian husband is living here in the US with me and has been since June. We are sending our paperwork in on Sept 29th. He was let go from his job in Canada on Dec 31st 2016 as the company claimed they were re-structuring the company. Anyway,  do any of you know if he can apply for EI while here in the states? 

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

♥ We met on a phone chat line December 1998

♥ Met in person June 1999

♥ Married September 2000

♥ I moved to Canada February 2001

♥ I moved back to Ohio April 2005

♥ Starting immigration process finally on September 30th 2017
♥ USCIS received all forms on October 6th 2017
♥ Hubby had biometric appointment on October 30th 2017
♥ Received RFE for I-485 on December 9th 2017

♥ EAD combo card received on February 9th 2018

AOS interview on February 15th 2018
♥ Residence card is being processed on February 22nd 2018

27 minutes ago, Destiny2000 said:

My Canadian husband is living here in the US with me and has been since June. We are sending our paperwork in on Sept 29th. He was let go from his job in Canada on Dec 31st 2016 as the company claimed they were re-structuring the company. Anyway,  do any of you know if he can apply for EI while here in the states? 

I think he had to apply when he was laid off. Contact service Canada.

48 minutes ago, Destiny2000 said:

You have to apply within 4 weeks of the job change status.  So no he is far beyond the timeframe. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Ok thanks!!

♥ Married September 2000

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 3:36 PM, NikLR said:

You have to apply within 4 weeks of the job change status.  So no he is far beyond the timeframe. 

That's fair enough - but wasn't there also a clause that if you apply later it's not a 100% denial? I thought there is still a chance? 

I would still try to apply - worst that happens, you get denied. Plus the folks in the interstate office are super helpful and responsive - so the con's are definitely less than the pro's. 

He left 9 months ago and wont even be able to get benefits until his EAD is approved.  Let's be honest, it's a waste of time but as you stated, it's their choice. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

On 10/1/2017 at 9:20 AM, NikLR said:

He left 9 months ago and wont even be able to get benefits until his EAD is approved.  Let's be honest, it's a waste of time but as you stated, it's their choice. 

I did forget about that...  benefits only with EAD in hand. I think you are right in this case. 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The Out of Canada branch is great! Got Patrick on the phone and as others have stated, he is very friendly and explains everything so clearly.

Within about 3 weeks of filing a claim online, I received my first 'report cards' and questionnaire. It wasn't enough time to mail back by their due date, but he said it is usually easiest to complete reports by phone (which we promptly did) and he marked my file that my questionnaire was on it's way and all was well. 

Im surprised and impressed with how straightforward it's been so far. :)

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 10/19/2017 at 5:24 PM, LittleLeaf said:

The Out of Canada branch is great! Got Patrick on the phone and as others have stated, he is very friendly and explains everything so clearly.

Within about 3 weeks of filing a claim online, I received my first 'report cards' and questionnaire. It wasn't enough time to mail back by their due date, but he said it is usually easiest to complete reports by phone (which we promptly did) and he marked my file that my questionnaire was on it's way and all was well. 

Im surprised and impressed with how straightforward it's been so far. :)

The branch is a very small team of like 5-6 people. I am always getting either Patrick or Brad on the phone every single time I call, so I wouldn't be surprised if they started remembering you as you keep calling every couple weeks.

With that said, my EI is all dried up now, coincidentally right as I began working full-time! I just recently received my most recent payment of a measly $36 CAD, LOL!

I guess it's time for me to close my RBC account, since I no longer have a need for it and the monthly payments are ridiculous to keep it open, it'd always be in overdraft by tens of dollars if it wasn't for EI.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 9/21/2017 at 9:59 PM, NikLR said:

You are relocating to be with a spouse or family.  Also this is why K1 arent able to recieve benefits until you get your EAD  unlike a CR1/IR1 

Payments are direct deposit into a Canadian bank so I recommend either TD or RBC who have banks in both countries for ease of moving money across.  

I was able to look at my account with service Canada but you have to call a specific international line or mail in the cards. 

I received my roe this week and will look into applying for ei tomorrow. I got married Friday and will apply for ead once I get my marriage certificate this coming up Friday or the following Monday.

I am wondering if there is anything specific I have to write when asked why I am applying. Do you just say moved to marry spouse? My roe says quit. 

48 minutes ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

I received my roe this week and will look into applying for ei tomorrow. I got married Friday and will apply for ead once I get my marriage certificate this coming up Friday or the following Monday.

I am wondering if there is anything specific I have to write when asked why I am applying. Do you just say moved to marry spouse? My roe says quit. 

relocating to be with family/spouse. 

Timeline

Hi everyone, hope you're all having a wonderful holiday season :)

I sent all the forms in a couple months ago. I got a letter today from USCIS "Request For Initial Evidence (I-485)."  
It says they want an English translation with the applicant's foreign birth certificate issued by the appropriate civil authority. If the document is in a language other than English, you must submit a copy of the foreign document and an English document.

Hubby was born in Toronto & I was certain I enclosed a copy of his birth certificate with the I-485. Is that what they are asking for? Do I just need to send a copy of his birth certificate in to them?

Thanks in advance & again I hope I put this in the correct thread.

♥ Married September 2000

Timeline
On 12/3/2017 at 9:48 PM, NikLR said:

relocating to be with family/spouse. 

Hello,

I was hoping i could pick your brain as you seem very knowledgeable.

I was wondering when you decided to change your name on the SIN# and if you would recommend doing this after applying for EI.

I am hesitant as i applied for EI and dont want to mess anything up with name changes.

Also i was not sure if i should be filing my canadian taxes with my maiden name is my married name is not on my sin.

Thank you

I changed my name on everything right after I was married in Canada.  Im not sure how that works for a K1. Not sure changing your name in Canada really matters for intents and purposes unless you move back. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/11/2017 at 3:40 PM, Marzena & Stephen said:

Hello,

I was hoping i could pick your brain as you seem very knowledgeable.

I was wondering when you decided to change your name on the SIN# and if you would recommend doing this after applying for EI.

I am hesitant as i applied for EI and dont want to mess anything up with name changes.

Also i was not sure if i should be filing my canadian taxes with my maiden name is my married name is not on my sin.

Thank you

It shouldn't be an issue one way or the other. But Id recommend you do both SIN and CRA so your taxes match. 

You would normally pop by the nearest Service Canada Office and bring a passport your marriage certificate, but if you're in the US I'd call them at their toll free number here https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/corporate/contact/sin.html to figure out how to send them the files. It should be reflected on all further Service Canada account info, including your EI claims, just like a change of address. I'm just not sure how quickly it takes them (I left mine be/am keeping my maiden name). It may be beneficial to start the EI paperwork/online claim, then worry about doing the name change, but you can ask if you call too.

If you leave it be, just remember it's in your maiden name when you contact them and they ask to confirm your info. If they end up mailing cheques (though most ppl have direct deposit set up) in your maiden name and you've updated the bank, just make sure you have ID with the old name when you go to deposit it (birth cert etc) - but even that shouldn't be an issue.

Hopefully that helps a bit!

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.