ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/26/2017 at 11:19 PM, Marzena & Stephen said:

Did you know you (beneficiary) could apply for ei(unemployment insurance) (within 4 weeks of leaving your job) when you apply for your ead?! 🤔 I thought this was super interesting and i will for sure try it! Never know how long it will take before you find a job after ead !(apparently as per this forum payments are held until ead but still! )🤓 @L&LM @gob332 @joannan @Nathan&Amy

@twoDs

can you explain a little more how this works? You have to apply for EI in Canada within 4 weeks after you stop working? I don't think I would be able to do this as I finished at my job on September 30 then came into the US on October 29. We have filed the I-485 but are just filing the EAD now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Nathan&Amy said:

can you explain a little more how this works? You have to apply for EI in Canada within 4 weeks after you stop working? I don't think I would be able to do this as I finished at my job on September 30 then came into the US on October 29. We have filed the I-485 but are just filing the EAD now.

Hey, Yes you had to have applied already (within 4 weeks of leaving your job)

You don't get paid ei until you have your work permit so there is a huge waiting period as we are not available to work until we have a work permit in hand.

I purposely got married and applied for the work permit within the 4 weeks but I know most dont. I'm not sure if it's possible to get ei if you dont ?

You could call and ask if you would like more information   the out of Canada line is 1-877-486-1650

They pretty well aways pick up the phone or call you back if you leave a message.

Timeline
On 10/19/2017 at 4:24 PM, LittleLeaf said:

The Out of Canada branch is great! Got Patrick on the phone and as others have stated, he is very friendly and explains everything so clearly.

Within about 3 weeks of filing a claim online, I received my first 'report cards' and questionnaire. It wasn't enough time to mail back by their due date, but he said it is usually easiest to complete reports by phone (which we promptly did) and he marked my file that my questionnaire was on it's way and all was well. 

Im surprised and impressed with how straightforward it's been so far. :)

Just curious ..are you calling your zero hours report cards in biweekly. They tell me to call back every 2 weeks but someone else mentioned that the person on the phone set a note on their file that they won't be working and won't need to call until they have their ead

Timeline
On 1/16/2018 at 3:53 PM, Marzena & Stephen said:

Just curious ..are you calling your zero hours report cards in biweekly. They tell me to call back every 2 weeks but someone else mentioned that the person on the phone set a note on their file that they won't be working and won't need to call until they have their ead

Yes, but you don't have to. You will eventually get a letter that says your file is on administrative hold until you get your EAD, but when I called in to ask and do my report, she said it is beneficial to just continue doing the biweekly report calls. Apparently the hold can take a few weeks to reactivate once you do get your EAD, whereas if you continue to call you can forward the EAD on when received and they can immediately start your payments (atleast what she said to me).

I don't find the calls too much of a bother anyways, I just get a google reminder that recycles biweekly. And the EAD usually takes 3-4 months tops, so it's only 8 calls.

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

Timeline
2 hours ago, LittleLeaf said:

Yes, but you don't have to. You will eventually get a letter that says your file is on administrative hold until you get your EAD, but when I called in to ask and do my report, she said it is beneficial to just continue doing the biweekly report calls. Apparently the hold can take a few weeks to reactivate once you do get your EAD, whereas if you continue to call you can forward the EAD on when received and they can immediately start your payments (atleast what she said to me).

I don't find the calls too much of a bother anyways, I just get a google reminder that recycles biweekly. And the EAD usually takes 3-4 months tops, so it's only 8 calls.

Thank you! I have been calling and will continue. I was just curious and this was very informative much appreciated !

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I missed some of this thread.  Would someone kindly explain briefly with process?

Apply for EI within 4 weeks of leaving your job?  Even if you have moved to the U.S.?

What happens if it has been more than 4 weeks?  I am just hearing about this now.  I never knew you could apply for EI.  And I read about not receiving benefits until your EAD is in hand.  How long do you receive benefits for?  From the time you get your EAD to the time you work?  or the time you apply until the time you get a job?  Has anyone had luck getting approved for EI applying after the 4 weeks?  I am really disappointed that I didn't know about this.  For me it's been well over 4 weeks and I am waiting for my EAD still.  Thanks for the info.

Timeline
On 2/11/2018 at 10:38 PM, Aker said:

I missed some of this thread.  Would someone kindly explain briefly with process?

Apply for EI within 4 weeks of leaving your job?  Even if you have moved to the U.S.?

What happens if it has been more than 4 weeks?  I am just hearing about this now.  I never knew you could apply for EI.  And I read about not receiving benefits until your EAD is in hand.  How long do you receive benefits for?  From the time you get your EAD to the time you work?  or the time you apply until the time you get a job?  Has anyone had luck getting approved for EI applying after the 4 weeks?  I am really disappointed that I didn't know about this.  For me it's been well over 4 weeks and I am waiting for my EAD still.  Thanks for the info.

No worries, it looks like the parent thread has been deleted and there's a lot to sift through.

Unfortunately that old guide was more thorough than I can be, but I'll try and hit the main points.

CR-1 and K1/K3 visa holders are eligible for EI based on needing to voluntarily leave work to relocate with/for your spouse (more info here under circumstances ). You are correct in that you don't start getting money until you receive your EAD, and as far as Ive gathered you get paid from your EAD approval date up until you get your first paycheck.

They do say you need to file a claim within 4 weeks of leaving your job, however others in this thread have successfully made a claim outside that period, so I'd give it a shot. It is also required that you have at least about 700hours of work in the last 52 weeks to be eligible as well, and there are other specifics about self eployed individuals and EI, so peruse here if needed.

There is an Out of Canada Claims office - specifically the interstate US unit you can reach here: 1-877-486-1650

It's a small team that's very friendly and should be able to point you in the right direction

OR you can try the EI customer service line: 1-800-206-7218

If you haven't already Id suggest updating your Services Canada account online with your current address. You can then apply online and check the status of your application. The application does require quite a bit of info, and can time out but it does have a save button, so make use of it! I'd suggest gathering everything mentioned here .

The process I found was pretty streamlined.

• You finish the application and it will be pending for a few weeks while they create a file.
  • From there you should receive a letter in the mail with a questionnaire about your status in the US. You mail/fax that with the required documents (usually your I-94 and a scan of your visa).
  • Once that is processed and your case is finally accepted, you will get a letter with an access code. Shortly after that you start to receive bi-weekly report cards which you can either mail in or call in (*you will need that access code and your SIN when calling).
  • If your EAD is taking a while from when you apply they may send you a notice putting your case on administrative hold, however it was suggested to me by them to keep doing the report calls as the hold can take up to 2 weeks to reactivate.
  • Once you receive your EAD approval letter you can either fax it to them or mail in a copy and they'll start your payments back-paying from the date on the approval letter. Note that they can only direct deposit to a Canadian bank. So you can either go that route OR remove any direct deposit info from your account and they will mail you cheques (in canadian funds which will likely take some time to clear).
  • From other users it looks like the pay period maxes out between 20-36 weeks, plently of time to find work.

Hopefully that helps clarify things. :) 

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

• 8 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello I was just made aware of EI! How does it work with someone on the CR1 visa? I am assuming since there is no EAD because it's immediately a green card and social security # issued. How does one apply for EI? You just have to wait for your green card or social security card? Or is the visa they put in your passport sufficient enough? My husband has a GREAT job and we are looking for the opportunity of transfer within the company or another similar job but if neither of those work out, we are lost.

On 10/17/2018 at 2:06 PM, Hill.ary said:

Hello I was just made aware of EI! How does it work with someone on the CR1 visa? I am assuming since there is no EAD because it's immediately a green card and social security # issued. How does one apply for EI? You just have to wait for your green card or social security card? Or is the visa they put in your passport sufficient enough? My husband has a GREAT job and we are looking for the opportunity of transfer within the company or another similar job but if neither of those work out, we are lost.

As the Canadian citizen he can get help at a local Service Canada location to apply for EI if necessary.  He should apply within 4 weeks of quitting his job to relocate regardless of visa or SSN.  However before receiving EI he will need to be willing and ABLE to work.  So he can apply earlier, but must be truthful when calling in his reports about his ability to work. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

On 10/24/2018 at 6:54 PM, inrainbows said:

Similar to a couple posts above, i had a question if it is possible to apply for EI if under the F2A category (immigrating spouse through Permanent Resident). Thanks for any info.

Of course. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 month later...

Does it matter that we never lived together while we were in a relationship. We are married now but still living separately in US and Canada while the process goes thru the phases. I read on the EI website that co-habitance may be necessary to be eligible?

19 hours ago, inrainbows said:

Does it matter that we never lived together while we were in a relationship. We are married now but still living separately in US and Canada while the process goes thru the phases. I read on the EI website that co-habitance may be necessary to be eligible?

No doesnt matter.  You are relocating to be with your spouse.  So when you recieve the EI you will be co-habitating. 

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Does anyone have experience getting a T4E for the EI they received in the previous year, for tax purposes? Did you go online or was a T4E mailed to you. I am unable to login to my service canada for this so i was not sure..? Also how did you report this on your USA taxes? Im curious if this would bump your USA tax bracket up for total earnings.  

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

Does anyone have experience getting a T4E for the EI they received in the previous year, for tax purposes? Did you go online or was a T4E mailed to you. I am unable to login to my service canada for this so i was not sure..? Also how did you report this on your USA taxes? Im curious if this would bump your USA tax bracket up for total earnings.  

Yes, I have just downloaded from My Service Canada :) Also it is mentioned that they have already mailed it to my US address. 

Spoiler

I-129F sent - April 24th 2017     CSC date received - April 27th 2017   NOA1 date - May 1st 2017

RFE - CSC sent October 2nd (case tracker shows 27th September)  RFE - received October 5th  RFE - sent back to CSC  October 6th  RFE- CSC received -October 7th (case tracker shows October 13th) 

NOA2 date - October 18th 2017(case tracker shows October 19th), NOA2 Hard copy -October 24th;  NVC #assigned - November 15th NVC left November 21st

Consulate received - November 28th Packet 3 sent - December 18th; Packet 4 received - December 22nd; Medical exam - January 3rd 2018; Interview -January 17th 2018 APPROVED

Visa issued - January 18th Visa delivered - January 19th POE - January 28th

AOS+EAD+AP

Package sent Feb 23rd 2018, Delivered Feb 26th 2018, NOA1 - text and email confirmations March 8th 2018, NOA1 - hard copies received March 12th 2018

Biometrics appointement - March 30th 2018 (requests received March 16th), 2nd Biometrics appointment for EAD for one of my K2s - April 16 2018

New card is being prepared for I-765 - August 13 2018 (online status), Card is mailed - August 16 2018 (online status), Received approvals for i-130 and i-765, also letter for interview - August 17 2018, Status updated to USPS received your Card - August 17 2018, EAD/AP combo cards received in mailbox - August 18 2018,

SSN cards(K1+K2) received in mailbox August 20 2018

Interview - August 29 2018 Green card for me K1 received September 7th 2018, K2s received 2 weeks later

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.