ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/4/2017 at 10:21 PM, NikLR said:

It's not a bad thing to keep claiming even with a part time job.  My first job here, my paycheck was less than my EI payment.  I may have well have not worked and that was 30+ hours a week.  At least the minimum wage has gone up where I live, but the cost of living is so high that you'd need 3 people at minimum wage, pouring all their earnings just to have a 2 bedroom apt.  It's ridiculous. 

Yep, my first paycheck was a measly $80 because I was hired and worked a very short, single shift right at the end of the payroll period. I'm fortunate to have been re-hired by my previous company except now state-side, so they matched my pay for when I was living in Calgary (In USD equivalency) and bridged my service so now it states I've worked for them for 2.75 years instead of just one month :D and double-fortunate that GA is actually really cheap to live. Downside is although they re-hired me, they unfortunately only re-hired me as a part timer (I was previously full time), and for others the minimum wage of GA is actually LOWER than the federal minimum wage, so that kinda sucks too.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 7/4/2017 at 8:21 PM, NikLR said:

It's not a bad thing to keep claiming even with a part time job.  My first job here, my paycheck was less than my EI payment.  I may have well have not worked and that was 30+ hours a week.  At least the minimum wage has gone up where I live, but the cost of living is so high that you'd need 3 people at minimum wage, pouring all their earnings just to have a 2 bedroom apt.  It's ridiculous. 

Is this for real? You can apply for ei when you move out of the country?! Im shocked that i didnt know this as i process roes for people at work all the time lol this is exciting news!    Any tips you can give me?

Timeline
On 5/4/2017 at 7:03 AM, zilchfox said:

Never mind! Service Canada called me back this morning to let me know they've approved my EAD, I should start seeing payments as early as tomorrow, or as late as next Monday. :D

Curious... did they back pay you? Or start the payments from ead date ? 

Timeline

Did you know you (beneficiary) could apply for ei(unemployment insurance) (within 4 weeks of leaving your job) when you apply for your ead?! 🤔 I thought this was super interesting and i will for sure try it! Never know how long it will take before you find a job after ead !(apparently as per this forum payments are held until ead but still! )🤓 @L&LM @gob332 @joannan @Nathan&Amy

@twoDs

15 hours ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

Curious... did they back pay you? Or start the payments from ead date ? 

Payments will start from EAD date.  Before then you are unable to work.  You can only claim benefits if you are willing and able to work.  Claim too long and they will check up to make sure you're actively looking for work.  Depending on your pay and hours put into EI, will depend on how much you can make.  Mine was the full amount for the full time allowed for expats.  (like 55% for 36 weeks?)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
14 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Payments will start from EAD date.  Before then you are unable to work.  You can only claim benefits if you are willing and able to work.  Claim too long and they will check up to make sure you're actively looking for work.  Depending on your pay and hours put into EI, will depend on how much you can make.  Mine was the full amount for the full time allowed for expats.  (like 55% for 36 weeks?)

☺ thanks for answering regarding when it starts! You never know how difficult it will be to find work so its a nice backup.

On a side note I know how ei works regarding actively searching for work etc. I would also get the max based on how much i make/contributed (max annual earnings every yr)  i think i would rather work, staying at home would drive me crazy ...besides its a great way to make new friends!

I wonder if the 36 week period has changed. Some of the e.i. periods have changed recently and it can go up to a max of 45 weeks but im not sure if that is also for expats (cant see much about expats and ei on the service canads website but maybe im not searching good enough ..im sure i will find out when the time comes  !   Thanks again😊 

*note for those of you reading*  55% of insurable earnings  but to a max of $543 a week as of 2017. 

3. How much you could receive

We cannot tell you exactly how much you will receive before we process your application. For most people, the basic rate for calculating EI benefits is 55% of your average insurable weekly earnings, up to a maximum amount. As of January 1, 2017, the maximum yearly insurable earnings amount is $51,300. This means that you can receive a maximum amount of $543 per week.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit/benefit-amount.html

Edited by Marzena & Stephen
Pasting info from service canada website :)

EI for expats is different than for those staying in Canada.  You get longer if you stay in Canada with the potential for higher wage %, at least when I last used it.  

generally speaking, you will want your ROE to state, relocating for family, but mine said "quit" and I was able to get EI without issues.  Likely because I used my new US address when I applied since I was leaving within the week and was already married. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2017-08-27 at 0:19 AM, Marzena & Stephen said:

Did you know you (beneficiary) could apply for ei(unemployment insurance) (within 4 weeks of leaving your job) when you apply for your ead?! 🤔 I thought this was super interesting and i will for sure try it! Never know how long it will take before you find a job after ead !(apparently as per this forum payments are held until ead but still! )🤓 @L&LM @gob332 @joannan @Nathan&Amy

@twoDs

sorry just to clarify, this is once you get to the US?

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Nathan&Amy said:

sorry just to clarify, this is once you get to the US?

Yes! I was pretty shocked myself

(I work with creating record of employments for people at work so I know a lot about this and I always thought when you leave the country you can not get EI) However, if you leave a job due to moving for a spouse it is just cause to quit your job. So you don't get EI the first months that you are waiting for an EAD  *as you are not available to work.. however, if you marry, apply for EAD within 4 weeks of quiting your job.. once you get your EAD- EI will pay you weekly until you find a job in the USA!

I am going to apply just incase I can not find the job I am looking for in time.. its always good to have a backup plan!

Timeline
On 8/27/2017 at 2:47 PM, NikLR said:

EI for expats is different than for those staying in Canada.  You get longer if you stay in Canada with the potential for higher wage %, at least when I last used it.  

generally speaking, you will want your ROE to state, relocating for family, but mine said "quit" and I was able to get EI without issues.  Likely because I used my new US address when I applied since I was leaving within the week and was already married. 

Mine also said quit and I got my EI stuff fine. 

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 8/28/2017 at 4:49 PM, zilchfox said:

Mine also said quit and I got my EI stuff fine. 

Just curious the steps everyone took?

@NikLR

Move to usa

Get married

Apply for ead

Apply for ei?

Is this all possible within the 4 week from leaving your job. Do you have to just show you applied for ead ..?

I just want to make sure i plan everything timely so i dont miss out if its needed in rhe future.

Also @NikLR what is the different in regards to %s and payment ? You mentioned its not the same? Is it substaintially lower?

no you h ave to apply for EI before the 4 week deadline regardless of where you live and if you have EAD or not. It just won't given to you until you have your EAD.

Yes the % and payments can be lower in the USA.  I earned the full 55% because I had so many accumulated hours, but each person is individual and you may not get the same % down here as you would staying in Canada. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just got my ROE in the mail, so Im diving into this.

Would you recommend calling in to do it, or does the online filing cover for the K1 situation? I'm also not sure if it would file under regular benefits "Benefits can be paid to persons who have lost their employment and are available, capable and actively seeking work.."  if I did continue online.

None of the categories really fit. >.<

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For those who have been successful in filing their EI Claim, were you able to access or view your claim through My Service Canada? I had an update this morning that says that Claim is Finalized but, I can't view the claim because I am living outside Canada. 

Also, how did you receive payments? Was it through a direct deposit to your bank in Canada?

Thanks in advance!

Patricia

On 9/15/2017 at 8:37 PM, LittleLeaf said:

Just got my ROE in the mail, so Im diving into this.

Would you recommend calling in to do it, or does the online filing cover for the K1 situation? I'm also not sure if it would file under regular benefits "Benefits can be paid to persons who have lost their employment and are available, capable and actively seeking work.."  if I did continue online.

None of the categories really fit. >.<

You are relocating to be with a spouse or family.  Also this is why K1 arent able to recieve benefits until you get your EAD  unlike a CR1/IR1 

On 9/20/2017 at 0:51 AM, pdc29 said:

For those who have been successful in filing their EI Claim, were you able to access or view your claim through My Service Canada? I had an update this morning that says that Claim is Finalized but, I can't view the claim because I am living outside Canada. 

Also, how did you receive payments? Was it through a direct deposit to your bank in Canada?

Thanks in advance!

Patricia

Payments are direct deposit into a Canadian bank so I recommend either TD or RBC who have banks in both countries for ease of moving money across.  

I was able to look at my account with service Canada but you have to call a specific international line or mail in the cards. 

Edited by NikLR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.