Kawika & Michelle

Flying Fiance to the US

72 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

Ugghh...thanks for the suggestions on picking her up. I've never picked anyone up from the international terminal but am very familiar with having to walk to the next terminal to get to my parking lot pick up van. She hasn't traveled much, so I think she would be very confused & out of place trying to figure everything on her own. I'll just plan to park in Lot C (if that's the closest one) and just walk with her there. How long has Terminal E been hosed? It has been under repair at least since 2021. 

I've also been tracking the flight using FlightAware. Right now FlightAware has the flight arriving over 3 hours late. It left on time, so I'm not sure why the lengthy delay. EVA Air website indicates that it is about 20 minutes behind.

I'll have to look for some maps so I even know where to park & where to go.

Flights were has dead spots where it says "estimated", where they don't have any tracking info. Usually once they get to the US airspace the tracking info gets more accurate. And I have been on many flights where we lost time taking off too late where the pilot makes up the difference in the air. I'm sure it will about on time or not too far off at least.

Timeline

Yeah...I know her well enough to know that she would be much more comfortable for me to meet her there versus trying to pick her up at a column. Maybe in future trips she may take back home alone we'll use that method as it makes the most sense. 

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Together since June 10th, 2020.

Cebu, Philippines to Katy, TX.

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

www.facebook.com/groups/texasfilipinacouples/

Timeline

Oh...and with FlightAware...it magically course corrected & went from the latest of over 3 hours late to being right on time again. I'm glad I didn't try to show up late... :)

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

How'd it go?

I landed at 10pm.

Welcome her to Houston, with thunderstorms. Such a mighty welcome.

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

42 minutes ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

She landed at 11:05 pm or so...I think we finally made it out of there around 12:25 am...and then finally back home in Katy around 2:30 am.

Congrats! 

How was the drive home? Did you get her snacks? Did she nap in the car? Did you hold hands the whole drive home. So great to hear she is home safe~ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

She landed at 11:05 pm or so...I think we finally made it out of there around 12:25 am...and then finally back home in Katy around 2:30 am.

Hahahah you should have told me to pick her up. I had a car parked at the airport park n fly & I live in Katy too!

Hahahaha.

Anyways, welcome her to Houston..

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Redro said:

Congrats! 

How was the drive home? Did you get her snacks? Did she nap in the car? Did you hold hands the whole drive home. So great to hear she is home safe~ 

I bet despite being exhausted and the late hour, the  "snacks" and "holding hands" that you had asked about is going to be too private to answer 😂

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Lol...hard to believe it's been 12 days now. We did indeed hold hands the entire way home...and she stayed awake the whole way. I had ordered food & had it waiting for us at the house when we got there. It's been a constant up & down rollercoaster ride since she's been here of both good & bad. 

Kawika & Michelle

Timeline
10 hours ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

Lol...hard to believe it's been 12 days now. We did indeed hold hands the entire way home...and she stayed awake the whole way. I had ordered food & had it waiting for us at the house when we got there. It's been a constant up & down rollercoaster ride since she's been here of both good & bad. 

If you don't mind me asking (if you do, just ignore my questions), did the rollercoaster happen during your LDR or did it start when she arrived? What are the biggest challenges that is making it "bad"?  I'm asking for my own sake for anything that I need to be on the lookout for or better prepare for when my Filipino fianceé arrives.

In anycase,  it quite normal to have ups and downs. The key according to the science for what will predict that you will get a divorce and how long before it will happen is explained in this video.  It all depends on "how" you argue.. 

Timeline

I'm well versed with Mr. Gottman as well as a plethora of other relationship gurus/books like His Needs, Her Needs, The Five Love Languages, Love & Respect, etc. The issue is....like with most every situation...is that you can only control your actions & how you respond to others. You cannot force your partner to want to be a better partner or to understand certain things, etc. We've had issues throughout our relationship which I believe primarily revolves around circumstances from her past that she has never fully healed from or worked through. My fiancé has had to deal with both mental & physical abuse from her last relationship as well as from her own family, this naturally taints her view on most anyone or anything that happens or may potentially happen in her life. None of the issues we've had involve anything serious but typically revolve around simple misunderstandings or assumptions that she often makes regarding what I mean when I say certain words. Remember that while they may know some English...they are not going to know all of the meanings associated with a specific word or term...especially when you start including slang or colloquialisms. While you & I may know several meanings to specific words or phrases....they may only be familiar with one of them...and at least in my case...the majority of the time it is taken in a negative way. My situation is primarily due to my fiancé's past experiences as she tends to look at anything a person says in a negative light. If you're a sarcastic person like me...that adds a whole other dimension of potential issues with someone who may not know the English language like we do. It's all part of the learning process for the both of us. You just have to make the decision early on whether or not your partner is worth it or not. The sooner you can make that decision...the sooner you can both either start working towards making things better or the sooner you can end it & start to heal.

Kawika & Michelle

Timeline
On 5/25/2023 at 10:03 AM, Kawika & Michelle said:

[clip[]..the sooner you can both either start working towards making things better or the sooner you can end it & start to heal.

Thank you for sharing. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.