Jose1028

any help is needed for f1 visa re-entry question

77 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
19 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

Not sure if I am misreading your statement here, but Northeastern University is IN Boston. OP stated their master's program was through Northeastern, and Northeastern directed OP to attend a language school in Boston. OP then requested to attend a less expensive language school in a cheaper city instead (Chicago). 

Ah, gotcha. I meant go to Chicago.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Family said:

It is quite common for language only accredited schools to be well versed in the International Students Transfer playbook.

The more nuanced issue here is if OP will encounter a tough CBP .. or pass easily. 

Aa OPs Reddit link suggested ..CBP doesn’t care , USCIS doesn’t pay attention ..but your very valid point that F-1 was granted because of school A reputation, academic standards conditions, .tuition and all 

. Would school B ( language only ) have resulted in the initial F-1 grant ?…. 

I have seen people bounced at the PoE in this sort of case, now very rare for anybody to recount a story where they had no issue entering, which may be more common.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Family said:

It is quite common for language only accredited schools to be well versed in the International Students Transfer playbook.

The more nuanced issue here is if OP will encounter a tough CBP .. or pass easily. 

Aa OPs Reddit link suggested ..CBP doesn’t care , USCIS doesn’t pay attention ..but your very valid point that F-1 was granted because of school A reputation, academic standards conditions, .tuition and all 

. Would school B ( language only ) have resulted in the initial F-1 grant ?…. 

OP wouldn't have enrolled in "school B" if he had a good performance on "school A"

I guess I am also comparing Northwestern with WVU. At WVU they would periodically check that, as an international student, you would be enrolled in the necessary credits AND I had to take TOEFL to be accepted. If your score was "iffy" but you had the overall profile they were looking for, they would accept you but you had to take a class and retest again within the same university.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

6 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

OP wouldn't have enrolled in "school B" if he had a good performance on "school A"

In this scenario, school A conditional acceptance to master program , low scores and all proficiency conditions were part and parcel of F-1 grant…thus no surprises or forced conditions.

There was never any attendances or performance at school A , since he transferred out within one week of arrival in the US. 

Just now, Family said:

In this scenario, school A conditional acceptance to master program , low scores and all proficiency conditions were part and parcel of F-1 grant…thus no surprises or forced conditions.

There was never any attendances or performance at school A , since he transferred out within one week of arrival in the US. 

What I personally find odd is the University not requiring TOEFL score prior acceptance.

12 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

What I personally find odd is the University not requiring TOEFL score prior acceptance.

As other poster noted, conditions vary by schools. In this instance , school A , lists them as such :

https://admissions.neiu.edu/international-applicants/conditional-admission

Conditional Admission in Conjunction with SAELL

International applicants who do not meet the English language proficiency minimum scores for graduate admission, but who meet all other academic requirements, may be considered for conditional admission in conjunction with School for the Advancement of English Language and Learning (SAELL). SAELL provides training for international students to meet the English language proficiency requirement.

2 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

Exactly what program were you pursuing? I find it hard to believe that they would force an international student to go to Boston all of a sudden. If so, that's a huge red flag for them. I am actually looking at their webpage and it says that some programs do require TOEFL to be admitted, some do not. So how come they admitted you and then you took TOEFL?

How are you able to pay for those classes, but not for a one way ticket to the US when you know that not coming back would jeopardize your status

No one said it was uncommon or illegal. But just because something is common and legal it doesn't mean DHS or USCIS sees it the same way. If you transfer from one program to another without being able to provide a well- rounded explanation, it might be frowned upon. Or it might not.

A) you're not able to answer questions about your case to strangers on the internet, let alone when and if confronted by CBP

B) Your immigration history is starting to get jacked up, so I would not move forward without at least one consultation. Maybe you can even set up a conference call with an ISO at Northwestern and an immigration attorney that can help you clarify doubts.

What's your country of origin and how old are you?

hi. i think you're misunderstanding. school is in boston. and i came to boston for school. their language school was in boston too. they admitted me with condition to finish language school before starting the program. because my toefl score was low.

where did i say i can't pay for ticket? not sure where it came from. i said, i have sponsor now, i have no problem with ticket or school pay.. i had to go back to my home country because loss of my father who was my sponsor. 

i am from spain, 24 years old. already had my degree in here in spain. my masters will be in criminal justice program. thank you.

1 hour ago, beloved_dingo said:

Not sure if I am misreading your statement here, but Northeastern University is IN Boston. OP stated their master's program was through Northeastern, and Northeastern directed OP to attend a language school in Boston. OP then requested to attend a less expensive language school in a cheaper city instead (Chicago). 

yes excatly. thanks for helping me to explain. 

cheaper city and cheaper school. but school is big, and have many students including some of my friends who went and studied. teachers are good, people at school is good so i just don't know what else to know to make sure they are fake. 

1 hour ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

they are requiring it. many many school has same policy. if student is good, and only their toelf score is low, they give him an acceptance letter WITH THE CONDITION to finish english classes before starting.

i really want to thank you all for caring and giving me advise. i'm sorry for confusion if i caused so i want to summurize everything again. i hope i'm clear now. 

if you can read it again, give me advise, i would really appriciate. i can explain more if you need to know details.

1 - i'm 24 year old spanish citizen and i went to us embassy to get F1 visa to get my masters at northeastern uni in boston. (masters in criminal justice)

2 - school gave me conditional acceptance because my toefl score was low. condition was to come to boston, finish language school(SCHOOL A) (different than northerstearn, but their partner) and start my program next year. When i went to embassy, the condition was there so i didn't lie or hide it. 

3 - i arrived boston last year(10 days before my class starts). their tution increased a lot, cost of living in boston was more than i guessed so i decided it would cost so much and i wanted to find cheaper option for just language school. 

4 - i researched and found a school in chicago. went to my friends place who went to this school. this school (SCHOOL B) was cheaper, i also found a roommate for a lot less price.

5 - i contacted SCHOOL A to transfer me to SCHOOL B. They did it. I got A NEW I-20 from SCHOOL B.

6 - i have no way of checking transfer process, i just asked my school "if everything is fine" they said "fine you are good"

7 - I went to SCHOOL B for 9 months. no issues. learned a lot. getting ready to take toefl again.

8 - Had to move back to spain for 2 months. i spent a month in spain to find sponsor. now i have it. SCHOOL B gave me a new I20 before leaving us. 

9 - now i have valid F1 visa with SCHOOL A, and I20 from SCHOOL B.

10 - I read it is fine(having f1 visa from another school) and very common to re-enter in this case, but i want to ask you guys. i also read i don't need a new visa. 

I really didn't make any illegal move or mistakes without knowing but i'm dealing with a system i don't know well and im worried something can be missed in all of this.

i was told many students change school, nobody care as long as you have valid visa and valid i20 document and valid student status. now i get different views which makes me worry. 

thanks again, thank you a lot. 

Edited by Jose1028

21 minutes ago, Jose1028 said:

i really want to thank you all for caring and giving me advise. i'm sorry for confusion if i caused so i want to summurize everything again. i hope i'm clear now. 

if you can read it again, give me advise, i would really appriciate. i can explain more if you need to know details.

1 - i'm 24 year old spanish citizen and i went to us embassy to get F1 visa to get my masters at northeastern uni in boston. (masters in criminal justice)

2 - school gave me conditional acceptance because my toefl score was low. condition was to come to boston, finish language school(SCHOOL A) (different than northerstearn, but their partner) and start my program next year. When i went to embassy, the condition was there so i didn't lie or hide it. 

3 - i arrived boston last year(10 days before my class starts). their tution increased a lot, cost of living in boston was more than i guessed so i decided it would cost so much and i wanted to find cheaper option for just language school. 

4 - i researched and found a school in chicago. went to my friends place who went to this school. this school (SCHOOL B) was cheaper, i also found a roommate for a lot less price.

5 - i contacted SCHOOL A to transfer me to SCHOOL B. They did it. I got A NEW I-20 from SCHOOL B.

6 - i have no way of checking transfer process, i just asked my school "if everything is fine" they said "fine you are good"

7 - I went to SCHOOL B for 9 months. no issues. learned a lot. getting ready to take toefl again.

8 - Had to move back to spain for 2 months. i spent a month in spain to find sponsor. now i have it. SCHOOL B gave me a new I20 before leaving us. 

9 - now i have valid F1 visa with SCHOOL A, and I20 from SCHOOL B.

10 - I read it is fine(having f1 visa from another school) and very common to re-enter in this case, but i want to ask you guys. i also read i don't need a new visa. 

I really didn't make any illegal move or mistakes without knowing but i'm dealing with a system i don't know well and im worried something can be missed in all of this.

i was told many students change school, nobody care as long as you have valid visa and valid i20 document and valid student status. now i get different views which makes me worry. 

thanks again, thank you a lot. 

Why don't you take the TOEFL in Spain?

That way you can come back to the US directly to do your master's.

Timeline
21 hours ago, Jose1028 said:

couldn't return to US because I didn't have money

You literally said you couldn’t return because you didn’t have the money, that’s where I got this crazy idea of you not having the money for a ticket from 

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

You literally said you couldn’t return because you didn’t have the money, that’s where I got this crazy idea of you not having the money for a ticket from 

I think he meant when his father died. Which makes sense since his father was his sponsor. He has now secured another sponsor, and can now cover all his fees including his ticket. 

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Kanja said:

I think he meant when his father died. Which makes sense since his father was his sponsor. He has now secured another sponsor, and can now cover all his fees including his ticket. 

Probably. He definitely needs to be clearer and user better terms when seeking for help!

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

1 hour ago, Jose1028 said:

they are requiring it. many many school has same policy. if student is good, and only their toelf score is low, they give him an acceptance letter WITH THE CONDITION to finish english classes before starting

Are you referring to the Global Pathways program for graduate studies…with allowed 4 credits transfer toward masters ? First link

A bit of  school accreditation guidance , Second  link.

But as you know from friends who have done it before , it has been successfully navigated , so wishing you best of luck . Hopefully you will update your post once you enter the US.

https://international.northeastern.edu/global-pathways/

After successful completion of Global Pathways and its progression requirements, you can transfer up to 4 credits toward your master’s degree in the area of your interest

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students/instructions-for-transferring-to-another-school-as-an-f-1-student

This means all pathway programs must contain credit-bearing coursework that is transferrable to the curricular requirements of a certified degree program at the school.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.