smp17

N400 - Failure to register with selective service

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Did anyone file N400 successfully after failing to register with selective service?  Totally unintentional but understanding of the consequences.  I can either file now and try mitigating it with a personal statement, or wait until I reach 31 where the issue cannot be considered for Citizenship purposes.  Grateful for any experience here! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I have read claims you can file N-400 at age 29 on the basis of 3 years of marital union to a U.S. citizen.

I have never heard of anyone over coming the age 29/31 rule. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I was in the same boat, with a good explanation an a letter from the selctive service, you will be fine. In any case you cannot register after your 26th birthday

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
10 hours ago, gstrength said:

I was in the same boat, with a good explanation an a letter from the selctive service, you will be fine. In any case you cannot register after your 26th birthday

Thanks!  I’m now 28, about to turn 28.  Pondering whether to apply with a personal statement along with the selective service letter, or simply wait until 31 where they no longer consider the issue for immigration purposes.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

your choice to get the letter and apply now or wait

the following site explains it all and has the National  address

https://www.sss.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Applicants-Over-31-Letter-Updated-03-02-2021.pdf

If you are age 31 or older, and applying for naturalization, there is no need to get a “status information letter” from the Selective Service System. The U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) Application for Naturalization Form N-400, Part 12 (44)(c)(2), only asks applicants age 26 to 31 to provide a “status information letter”, if they did not register with Selective Service. In addition, in accordance with USCIS Policy Manual - Volume 12 - Part D - Chapter 7(B), applicants for naturalization who are over age 31 are eligible for naturalization even if they knowingly and willfully failed to register (attached). This is because the applicant’s failure to register would be outside of the statutory period during which the applicant must show that he is of good moral character and disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States. Thus, your failure to register with the Selective Service System does not make you ineligible for naturalization because you are age 31 or older.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Even at age 31 a status information letter is required. And also there is no 90 day early filing; must be age 31 to file.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/attachments.pdf

If you did not register with the Selective Service and you (1) are male, (2) are 26 years old or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send: A "Status Information Letter from the Selective Service

Getting a status information letter is trivial. 

https://www.sss.gov/verify/sil/

Do not call SSS to get the letter. SSS will try to cajole you into not getting the letter. Instead follow the process to print, fill out, sign, and mail the request.

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.