mocha0221

Lost my greencard while abroad.

20 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My green card got stolen as well as my car in Montreal, Canada.

I entered US with my foreign passport and greencard.

I searched onine about the procedure and seems like I have to apply I-131A for travel document.

HOWEVER, the US consulate in Montreal does not take I-131A form.

Do you know what should I do? 

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

"You will need to follow the steps below:

1. Report your lost/stolen green card (I-551) to the local police office and get a police report on the incident. Please have two (2) photocopies with you.
  2. Complete form I-90 (100KB PDF) (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) and make two (2) photocopies. Instructions to complete form I-90 (64KB PDF).
  3. Complete form I-193 (280KB PDF) (Application for Waiver of Passport and/or Visa) and make two (2) photocopies if you want to reenter the United States without the alien’s passport and/or visa.
  4. Make two (2) photocopies of your passport (biographic data page and all pages that contain entry stamps in the U.S.) (if available).
  5. Make two (2) photocopies of your green-card (if available).
  6. Get four (4) passport size photographs.
  7. Go to the nearest Port of Entry to the USA and present yourself to the U.S. Customs and Border Officer for further processing."

Source:  https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/transportation-letter/

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You will need to follow the steps below:

1. Report your lost/stolen green card (I-551) to the local police office and get a police report on the incident. Please have two (2) photocopies with you.
  2. Complete form I-90 (100KB PDF) (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) and make two (2) photocopies. Instructions to complete form I-90 (64KB PDF).
  3. Complete form I-193 (280KB PDF) (Application for Waiver of Passport and/or Visa) and make two (2) photocopies if you want to reenter the United States without the alien’s passport and/or visa.
  4. Make two (2) photocopies of your passport (biographic data page and all pages that contain entry stamps in the U.S.) (if available).
  5. Make two (2) photocopies of your green-card (if available).
  6. Get four (4) passport size photographs.
  7. Go to the nearest Port of Entry to the USA and present yourself to the U.S. Customs and Border Officer for further processing.

Source:  https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/transportation-letter/

Thank you. This mean, If I have all papers mentioned above, I can board airplane? and talk to US customs when I arrive there?

8 minutes ago, mocha0221 said:

Thank you. This mean, If I have all papers mentioned above, I can board airplane? and talk to US customs when I arrive there?

I think you should cross through land.

You can also try asking in the nearest preclearance location - there's one in each of the following cities in Canada: Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Victoria, and Winnipeg-.

Timeline
On 3/30/2023 at 5:56 PM, Allaboutwaiting said:

I think you should cross through land.

You can also try asking in the nearest preclearance location - there's one in each of the following cities in Canada: Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Victoria, and Winnipeg-.

Thank you so much for the information. I did not know about pre clearance location. 

I called Customs and Boarder Protection, they said it should be okay, as long as I have police report, passport and copy of the green card. 

4 minutes ago, mocha0221 said:

Thank you so much for the information. I did not know about pre clearance location. 

I called Customs and Boarder Protection, they said it should be okay, as long as I have police report, passport and copy of the green card. 

Great! Hope all goes well. 

Keep us updated please. 

Timeline

Latest update.

I went to US consulate in Montreal and Quebec, hoping them to issue boarding foil.

But no luck. They said they do not issue such a thing. 

I was completely hopeless.

Then I called Customs and Boarder Protection at the Montreal airport.

They said I will be fine as long as I have police report, passport and copy of green card. 

I booked a flight and checked in at the counter. 

At the customs, I was sent to second investigation and was told I had to pay $575 to go through. (Maybe it is a fee for boarding foil?)

Officer came back after he discussed with his supervisor, he said the fee will be waived but it will not ever happen. 

I was told I should not travel until new green card is in hand, or get a ADIT (I-551) stamp on my passport. 

Finally, I managed to catch the flight and got back to US.

I appreciate for those of you who sent me a help!

I also applied I-90 on March 31st.

I received receipt notice and biometric reuse notice on the same day.

6 minutes ago, mocha0221 said:

Latest update.

I went to US consulate in Montreal and Quebec, hoping them to issue boarding foil.

But no luck. They said they do not issue such a thing. 

I was completely hopeless.

Then I called Customs and Boarder Protection at the Montreal airport.

They said I will be fine as long as I have police report, passport and copy of green card. 

I booked a flight and checked in at the counter. 

At the customs, I was sent to second investigation and was told I had to pay $575 to go through. (Maybe it is a fee for boarding foil?)

Officer came back after he discussed with his supervisor, he said the fee will be waived but it will not ever happen. 

I was told I should not travel until new green card is in hand, or get a ADIT (I-551) stamp on my passport. 

Finally, I managed to catch the flight and got back to US.

I appreciate for those of you who sent me a help!

I also applied I-90 on March 31st.

So glad you were able to fly back to the US. 😊

One question: What did the airline ask for to let you board the plane? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 hours ago, mocha0221 said:

also applied I-90 on March 31st.

Did you file I-90 before or after your flight to the U.S.?

Timeline
8 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

So glad you were able to fly back to the US. 😊

One question: What did the airline ask for to let you board the plane? 

Thank you!

I told the agent at the check in counter that I called CBP already and CBP told me that I'll be okay with all necessary documents.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, mocha0221 said:

Before the flight to the US.

I applied online in Canada.

Then their initial knee jerk to assess the I-193 fee was incorrect, especially since two consulates denied your I-134a. Fortunately they waived the fee

Timeline
4 hours ago, Mike E said:

Then their initial knee jerk to assess the I-193 fee was incorrect, especially since two consulates denied your I-134a. Fortunately they waived the fee

I am not sure which application he try to insist to pay and the exact price...it was five hundred something. 

Now I am trying to make appointment to get ADIT (I-551) stamp at local USCIS office. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.