wazzujoel

Cuban I-134 success story!

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, wazzujoel said:

Yeah, I know that's an option for some, however I personally would prefer a 'good enough' wedding on a rushed 90 day timeline, verses a courthouse wedding with big ceremony later. My first marriage (to an American) was basically a rushed courthouse marriage and it's something I personally don't want to ever do again. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the idea, it makes a lot of sense for sure... but it's just not for me. 🙂 Regardless since my partner is coming on Humanitarian Parole there is a lot of things on our plate and now we will have the time to marry when it's an appropriate time for us. I sponsored her entire family so getting everyone integrated into American society will be a massive chore. 

The sooner she becomes a Green card holder, the sooner she can file for citizenship.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

The sooner she becomes a Green card holder, the sooner she can file for citizenship.  

Absolutely true but in the case and some others I can see competing interests.

Seems all her family is here so not likely there is anybody she wishes to sponsor.

Cuban Adjustment Act route means OP does not need to be her sponsor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Absolutely true but in the case and some others I can see competing interests.

Seems all her family is here so not likely there is anybody she wishes to sponsor.

Cuban Adjustment Act route means OP does not need to be her sponsor.

Yeah all of this is spot on with my situation. I have heard that marriage based i-485 AOS are taking 1-2 years for approval, and I have seen two cases where a Cuban Adjustment Act (CAA) based i-485 AOS took 1 month. So it's not clear what path would really be faster for citizenship if that was our main motivating factor (It isn't). Marry on day one, and then marriage based AOS in 1-2 years, or wait a year to qualify for CAA and then AOS in 1 additional month. 

Timeline

I have seen all sorts of odd processing times, I am not sure 1 month is normal, why it would be so quick for CAA. To my knowledge that is not how they operate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I have seen all sorts of odd processing times, I am not sure 1 month is normal, why it would be so quick for CAA. To my knowledge that is not how they operate.

I've seen two people approved with a 1 month processing time. I am not an expert on USCIS's process, however I would guess perhaps the reason for the quick processing time is because the burden of proof is so much lower for CAA. All the agent needs to verify is that it's been 1 years since they entered (i-94) and that they have a Cuban birth certificate. It's gotta be one of the easier AOS's categories right? That is a real question because I haven't looked at the i-485 for marriage or any other category. I just know the amount of evidence required for CAA i-485 is almost nothing. 

Timeline

Most cases are pretty much nothing, I think my interview was 15 minutes, job done. It is waiting to get the interview, your file reviewed that takes time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, wazzujoel said:

I've seen two people approved with a 1 month processing time.

That will probably make a lot of people angry around here.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

By the way, the previous thread was:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/795780-urgent-time-critical-humanitarian-crisis/

Dude, your news gladdens everyone's heart.  Your focus and persistence, and keeping your head, have paid off.  She's beautiful, and you're a fine-looking couple.

Before she leaves, have her gather copies of all official documents (birth cert., vaccination records, school records, et al.) that would be difficult, expensive, or impossible to get after she leaves.

Remember amidst the whirlwind of activity that there will inevitably be culture-shock.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 6 months later...
On 3/27/2023 at 2:53 PM, wazzujoel said:

77 days waiting for me... I emailed/called congressmen regularly, senators regularly, filed application with ombudsman, emailed the President of USCIS, made duplicates that I regret I made, called USCIS often, was put in a queue to talk to a Tier 2 agent on 1/31 and never received a callback.  Analyzed this from every possible angle, trying to find some logical sense to why some are processed within days, while others wait 6+ months.... In my experience, everything I did was wasted efforts. And this is what I would suggest for anyone waiting on this process : 

Limit social media time. Accept this is a unfair random process, and there is nothing you could have done differently for your application to be accepted. I do believe that the longer you go in the system, the system does put some weight on those that are bumping up close to 90 days. This is pretty much all the advice I can offer. Be patient and try your best to not allow yourself going crazy over how unfair the process is. 

Tips for those about to apply - Submit your application at 11am EST on a Monday. idk why but I am superstitious a little and this was the submission time on the application I submitted that got approved. Note - it wasn't my fiancée who was initially approved but one of her family members that I applied for on 3/20 at 11am. They were confirmed at 11:46 pm on 3/24, and then everyone I applied to sponsor was then approved. 

77 days waiting time is amazing!! Congratulations!

We submitted on March 06 and are still waiting in the ".. Receipt Notice Was Sent" status.

I tried to get through to a real person on the phone but the best I could  manage was a chat with an associate at USCIS about 5 weeks ago.
They couldn't give me an update on my case but did tell me they were only just getting to the applications from January.

The waiting is the worst... all one can do is breathe!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Raychaa said:

77 days waiting time is amazing!! Congratulations!

We submitted on March 06 and are still waiting in the ".. Receipt Notice Was Sent" status.

I tried to get through to a real person on the phone but the best I could  manage was a chat with an associate at USCIS about 5 weeks ago.
They couldn't give me an update on my case but did tell me they were only just getting to the applications from January.

The waiting is the worst... all one can do is breathe!

Is this a K1? Or HP?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Raychaa said:

HP

I am going to assume not Ukraine so you are looking at a long wait unless you come up in the lottery 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Raychaa said:

No not Ukraine. My beneficiary is from/in Cuba.

https://cu.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/diversity-visa/

Should also enter the DV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.