panetone

N400 Travel history - challange

21 posts in this topic

So, I went though the online N400 application. I am challenged with providing the travel history. I travel a lot for business and some vacation.

I can read out my trips from my United account for about a year. But beyond it becomes a challenge. I tried my best with emails I found. However, since I changed employer I do not have 5 year travel itineraries.  I did my best.... but will it be good enough? How detailed is this being reviewed? Frankly,  immigration would have a better record than I do....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
1 hour ago, panetone said:

So, I went though the online N400 application. I am challenged with providing the travel history. I travel a lot for business and some vacation.

I can read out my trips from my United account for about a year. But beyond it becomes a challenge. I tried my best with emails I found. However, since I changed employer I do not have 5 year travel itineraries.  I did my best.... but will it be good enough? How detailed is this being reviewed? Frankly,  immigration would have a better record than I do....

It will be good enough. When it comes to that part be upfront. I am sure they know all your enter/exit dates. I bought a list of my travels after my n400 application was submitted and the officer had all the dates on the computer without me filling it out in the n400 application since they were trips after applying. The only real question if you met the physical presence and continuous residency  requirement due to a lot of trips

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, panetone said:

Do you import your flights and hotels into tripit and/tripcase?

13 hours ago, OldUser said:

@panetone I would imagine you'd have confirmation emails when you booked flights. If you used credit card to pay abroad, the statements will also have records of paying overseas. Maybe those can be of help?

i changed job, so itineraries went to old email, same with corp credit card.

They will do two things with that information: 

- background checks if you traveled to any banned country

- calculate if you fulfill the physical presence and continuous residence requirement

If you feel too concerned, maybe include a brief letter explaining why the dates and places could be not particularly accurate. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

50 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

If you feel too concerned, maybe include a brief letter explaining why the dates and places could be not particularly accurate. 

Or wait to file until you know all the dates accurately. E.g. if it is one year of missing data, file the next year. Or do FOIA request to get any information about entries to the US. I wonder if there would be anything useful there.

Edited by OldUser

7 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Or wait to file until you know all the dates accurately. E.g. if it is one year of missing data, file the next year. Or do FOIA request to get any information about entries to the US. I wonder if there would be anything useful there.

A FOIA from CBP would indeed include records of international travel to and from the US.

Some of the answers are trying to make your simple problem more complicated.

Do you fullfil the residency requirement? 

Did you take more than 50 trips in the last 5 years? You make it sound like you are travelling in and out every month, which could be a different issue. 

Did you visit in banned country, or any country with muddy US relation? No? Then again, its simple.

Check your passports for stamps, and please don't tell us you throw away your old passport,  that is your only bet.  Also feel free to use rough estimate if the stamp is not clear. Check your Credit Card Statement for airline purchases, or whatever website you purchase your tickets from

DHS knows your travel history, and they know you can't access I-94 after getting GC,  so there ain't much you can do that using the passport stamps, and approximate data range for your trips.  In the very end of your application, note that since you can't get access to your I-94, you are approximating dates.  If you think there is a trip missing, and you can't remember the exact date, note that in the end of the application. 

Just be honest, and everything will be fine.

1 hour ago, OldUser said:

FOIA, no?

I will try the FOIA path. I see that as the only way in my case. Or just mention during my interview that I did a best effort. N

@Zeppelinn1630  90% of my trips do not have a passport stamp - I do have all my passports. I do not have print credit card statement form my old employer. No trips to banned countries. Less than 50 trips. COVID helped a bit. Maybe 20 short week trips.

5 minutes ago, panetone said:

I will try the FOIA path. I see that as the only way in my case. Or just mention during my interview that I did a best effort. N

@Zeppelinn1630  90% of my trips do not have a passport stamp - I do have all my passports. I do not have print credit card statement form my old employer. No trips to banned countries. Less than 50 trips. COVID helped a bit. Maybe 20 short week trips.

You could also try reconstructing trips based on Google Location History (if you have Android and history enabled) or messages to your friends / family. You may have taken photos on your phone on those trips. You may provided expense reports or kept receipts. Otherwise yes, FOIA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.