Boiler

Sponsoring a Tourist Visa

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/CHNV

Processes for Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans, and Venezuelans

Generally you cannot not sponsor a tourist visa but I have seen a few cases now where people have used this program for friends and relatives to visit.

Some of the advantages:

• No application fee
  • No Consulate Interview
  • Visit is up to 2 years not 6 months or possibly less
  • Allows you to work etc if you want to
  • No risk of application being denied for immigrant intent etc
  • Depending where you are visiting you may qualify for benefits such as free healthcare etc
  • May be quicker to obtain

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
5 hours ago, Bill Oxner said:

I wonder why just those countries

Why not El Salvador or Guatemela?

Maybe the program will be extended but this is what it is for now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks for the info.

I don't know if I would consider this a sponsorship of a tourist visa, though. More like a sponsorship for temporary stay for humanitarian reasons. If a person from those countries really just wanted to come to the US for tourism this does not seem like the appropriate way. Although it would be better for those who are in extreme hardship to at least have a lifeline.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Also, the travel authorization document based on CHNV program is single-entry.  Beneficiaries would need to apply for AP (or re-apply under CHNV) if they ever want to leave and re-enter the US.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Unlockable said:

Thanks for the info.

I don't know if I would consider this a sponsorship of a tourist visa, though. More like a sponsorship for temporary stay for humanitarian reasons. If a person from those countries really just wanted to come to the US for tourism this does not seem like the appropriate way. Although it would be better for those who are in extreme hardship to at least have a lifeline.

It has been mentioned a few times, I saw a case recently involved  Cuba, where this person had family who just wanted to visit for 2 weeks.

Normally HP requires a good reason, but no reason required for the 4 countries plus of course Ukraine 

Obviously will not help a lot of people but could help some

Timeline
49 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Also, the travel authorization document based on CHNV program is single-entry.  Beneficiaries would need to apply for AP (or re-apply under CHNV) if they ever want to leave and re-enter the US.

I had not thought of using it for Multi use, possible and AP does require a reason in this case 

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

AP does require a reason in this case

Yep.  AP for CHNV beneficiaries not adjusting status requires reason for travel.  Also, not free.  If CHNV applicants intend to travel in and out of the US, CHNV+AP would be more expensive than B visa application.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Chancy said:

Yep.  AP for CHNV beneficiaries not adjusting status requires reason for travel.  Also, not free.  If CHNV applicants intend to travel in and out of the US, CHNV+AP would be more expensive than B visa application.

I would imagine most qualify for a fee waiver but we are assuming they would get a B and it would be multi entry

On 3/16/2023 at 6:27 PM, Boiler said:

https://www.uscis.gov/CHNV

Processes for Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans, and Venezuelans

Generally you cannot not sponsor a tourist visa but I have seen a few cases now where people have used this program for friends and relatives to visit.

Some of the advantages:

• No application fee
  • No Consulate Interview
  • Visit is up to 2 years not 6 months or possibly less
  • Allows you to work etc if you want to
  • No risk of application being denied for immigrant intent etc
  • Depending where you are visiting you may qualify for benefits such as free healthcare etc
  • May be quicker to obtain

Is this filed under B1/B2?  I looked at the link and didn't see the link to Tourist Visa?

10 hours ago, Unlockable said:

Thanks for the info.

I think it's a great way to get a nanny or maybe a live in helper to come from that area since they are allowed to work

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Bill Oxner said:

Is this filed under B1/B2?  I looked at the link and didn't see the link to Tourist Visa?

Nor sure what you mean, it is a program that can be used for multiple reasons, visiting was the one I was concentrating on, but you mentioned others such as nannies, gardeners, cleaners etc.

I am sure it is, the program is set up to allow businesses to sponsor.

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Nor sure what you mean, it is a program that can be used for multiple reasons, visiting was the one I was concentrating on, but you mentioned others such as nannies, gardeners, cleaners etc.

I am sure it is, the program is set up to allow businesses to sponsor.

My question is. Is this initial visa applicaiton done as a Tourist Visa?

They haven't made up some other visa like a new catergory calle a B4 for this?   B4 is just an example

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Bill Oxner said:

My question is. Is this initial visa applicaiton done as a Tourist Visa?

They haven't made up some other visa like a new catergory calle a B4 for this?   B4 is just an example

It is a new category, the link I gave above describes how it is done in full detail. It falls under the Humanitarian category, but does not follow the usual policy for Humanitarian Parole.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.