KateD

Ghana Passport Renewal

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with renewing their Ghana passport from the US? The Ghana NY/Washington DC consulate passport renewal application requires 2 Ghanaian relatives as guarantors. My husband does not 2 Ghanaian relatives living in the US, so it seems like this might be a dead end for him to renew from here.

As a potential alternative, my husband spoke to a Ghana Immigration officer and he said that he could provide a new passport for him, but he wasn't sure about shipping it to the US. Does anyone know if passports are allowed to be shipped to the US? Does anyone have experience with shipping to the US from Ghana with FedEx or DHL? I have shipped from the US to Ghana with FedEX with no problems but not the other way.

If nothing else, I guess he'll have to travel back to Ghana to get his passport renewed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

US washington DC says nothing about this "he Ghana NY/Washington DC consulate passport renewal application requires 2 Ghanaian relatives as guarantors"

it says

RENEWAL

Previous Ghanaian passport.
Documents to support identity (originals only) such as School Certificate, Driver’s License, Employment/Student / Other I.D. Cards.
Processing fee

and requires an appointment to be made in Ghana US embassy

https://ghanaembassydc.org/passport/

Timeline
14 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

US washington DC says nothing about this "he Ghana NY/Washington DC consulate passport renewal application requires 2 Ghanaian relatives as guarantors"

it says

RENEWAL

Previous Ghanaian passport.
Documents to support identity (originals only) such as School Certificate, Driver’s License, Employment/Student / Other I.D. Cards.
Processing fee

and requires an appointment to be made in Ghana US embassy

https://ghanaembassydc.org/passport/

Yes, agreed. It doesn't say anything pre-application. However, once into the application it is a requirement. I called to verify with the NY consulate they said that it is a requirement to renew a passport in the US. I would take a picture but it isn't allowing back into the application at the moment.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

1 hour ago, KateD said:

The Ghana NY/Washington DC consulate passport renewal application requires 2 Ghanaian relatives as guarantors. My husband does not 2 Ghanaian relatives living in the US, so it seems like this might be a dead end for him to renew from here.

Absolutely, the guarantors and witness section are required.

The guarantors don't have to be living in the US. Your husband can just use two guarantors living in Ghana.

If you are concerned about signatures, husband can complete the application email to the guarantors and let them sign it and mail it back using DHL or EMS or similar couriers.

If you husby is tech savvy he could even have the relatives e-sign the application and email it back.

However, what husband doesn't want to do is go back to GH just because of passport renewal or have the immigration officer or whoever send it by mail. I say it's dangerous to mail your passport from Ghana. And top of that it's a hustle to get your passport on time in Ghana without greasing some palms. 

Less hustle and pretty straightforward if he renews in the US and sleep worry free.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

Absolutely, the guarantors and witness section are required.

The guarantors don't have to be living in the US. Your husband can just use two guarantors living in Ghana.

If you are concerned about signatures, husband can complete the application email to the guarantors and let them sign it and mail it back using DHL or EMS or similar couriers.

If you husby is tech savvy he could even have the relatives e-sign the application and email it back.

However, what husband doesn't want to do is go back to GH just because of passport renewal or have the immigration officer or whoever send it by mail. I say it's dangerous to mail your passport from Ghana. And top of that it's a hustle to get your passport on time in Ghana without greasing some palms. 

Less hustle and pretty straightforward if he renews in the US and sleep worry free.

Thanks, @nastra30 for the response. The application specifies "relatives living in the United States" or am I reading it wrong (see below)? It does seem excessive to have to go all the way back to Ghana for passport renewal but it wouldn't be the craziest thing in this process.

image.thumb.png.c4e2c4036c2130318a6450baf353358f.png

Timeline
2 minutes ago, KateD said:

Thanks, @nastra30 for the response. The application specifies "relatives living in the United States" or am I reading it wrong (see below)? It does seem excessive to have to go all the way back to Ghana for passport renewal but it wouldn't be the craziest thing in this process.

image.thumb.png.c4e2c4036c2130318a6450baf353358f.png

You are definitely reading it correctly but they won't be strict about it because husby doesn't have relatives in the US. As I said just use two relatives in GH and you should be fine, and consulate will understand. I have done so before.

Oh, and another thing - the witness section will require the witness official stamp or seal and the application will list only certain people or officials who can act as a witness. Also ignore this. Husby can ask any Ghanaian to act as witness. And shouldn't even stress himself with the stupid stamp or seal being requested. I'm not sure you guys are located but I will recommend the consulate in NY. Remember it's biometric so husband will physically have to go into the consulate.

You might be skeptical with what I'm saying but come back and thank me later. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, nastra30 said:

You are definitely reading it correctly but they won't be strict about it because husby doesn't have relatives in the US. As I said just use two relatives in GH and you should be fine, and consulate will understand. I have done so before.

Oh, and another thing - the witness section will require the witness official stamp or seal and the application will list only certain people or officials who can act as a witness. Also ignore this. Husby can ask any Ghanaian to act as witness. And shouldn't even stress himself with the stupid stamp or seal being requested. I'm not sure you guys are located but I will recommend the consulate in NY. Remember it's biometric so husband will physically have to go into the consulate.

You might be skeptical with what I'm saying but come back and thank me later. 

Thanks @nastra30! Much appreciated sharing your insight and experiences. When I called the NY consulate they didn't seem like they would be flexible about the 2 Ghana guarantors. We are applying through the NY office but they have an option to go to LA for the biometrics. That's where we are considering going since it is the closest.

Timeline
1 hour ago, KateD said:

When I called the NY consulate they didn't seem like they would be flexible about the 2 Ghana guarantors. .

Hmm, maybe they are becoming strict about it but I'm still confident he should be ok. Give it a shot. 

I'm surprised you actually got to speak with someone over the phone at the GH consulate in NY; they never seem to ever answer that phone or call anybody back. That's a first.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

Hmm, maybe they are becoming strict about it but I'm still confident he should be ok. Give it a shot. 

I'm surprised you actually got to speak with someone over the phone at the GH consulate in NY; they never seem to ever answer that phone or call anybody back. That's a first.

@nastra30 It was a lot of redialing. Extension 239 is the only line that answers.

I'm going to give it a shot! I'll let you know if it works.

Timeline

I think you are definitely overthinking this. I don’t think they are worried about wet signatures. If they have a question, they will call your relative in Ghana to confirm. When my wife was there (DC), they asked her to sign for her dad when she left the signature part blank. The important thing to them is that the form is filled. I think I was my wife’s other guarantor, and I think I just put my US passport number in and crossed out “Ghanaian” on the printed form.

Edited by D-R-J

Timeline
2 hours ago, D-R-J said:

I think you are definitely overthinking this. I don’t think they are worried about wet signatures. If they have a question, they will call your relative in Ghana to confirm. When my wife was there (DC), they asked her to sign for her dad when she left the signature part blank. The important thing to them is that the form is filled. I think I was my wife’s other guarantor, and I think I just put my US passport number in and crossed out “Ghanaian” on the printed form.

You're probably right that I'm overthinking it. I'm concerned that we will spend all this $ on a trip to LA only to have them tell us we did it wrong and have to start over or worse make a trip to Ghana to get it renewed. But after hearing from you and @nastra30, we're moving ahead and submitting the application.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Its good to hear from others that have done it.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

@nastra30 You were right, the visa appointment went well. We used relatives in Ghana as the guarantors and myself as the witness (without a professional stamp) and they didn't have an issue with it --although we'll breathe a final sigh of relief when we get the new passport in, hopefully, a month's time.

Just FYI, the LA office is in Beverly Hills and is run by VFS Global. The man that worked on my husband's passport application said it's rare to have someone from Ghana renew their passport at the LA office and not in NY or DC. Also it cost $250 and not the mentioned $130 plus $30 shipping fee mentioned in the application. Either they haven't updated the application or it costs more because it is run through VFS. Just wanted to mention this incase someone else renews via the LA office.

Timeline
16 hours ago, KateD said:

@nastra30 You were right, the visa appointment went well. We used relatives in Ghana as the guarantors and myself as the witness (without a professional stamp) and they didn't have an issue with it --although we'll breathe a final sigh of relief when we get the new passport in, hopefully, a month's time.

Just FYI, the LA office is in Beverly Hills and is run by VFS Global. The man that worked on my husband's passport application said it's rare to have someone from Ghana renew their passport at the LA office and not in NY or DC. Also it cost $250 and not the mentioned $130 plus $30 shipping fee mentioned in the application. Either they haven't updated the application or it costs more because it is run through VFS. Just wanted to mention this incase someone else renews via the LA office.

Ouch; the extra $120 you paid is certainly VFS administrative charges/processing fees. All the same, that saves you a plane trip all the way to the east coast.

Thanks for coming back and providing feedback; I'm sure it will be helpful to someone else someday. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.