apgk

Translations for documents

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

The Moscow embassy says the below about the needed translations:

"

Copies and translations of each document into English are required. Translations must be notarized only when the original is in a language OTHER than Russian. (e.g. a translation from Ukrainian into English must be notarized, translation from Russian into English does not need to be notarized).

"

The above instructions talk about notorization requirements but I want to find out if the english translations have to be certified by someone. For example - her Police report is in Russian and now it needs to be translated in English. We

have already translated it in English but now do we need to get it certified by some linguistic center or someone local who can certify and stamp the english translation? What heve other done here?

thx

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
The Moscow embassy says the below about the needed translations:

"

Copies and translations of each document into English are required. Translations must be notarized only when the original is in a language OTHER than Russian. (e.g. a translation from Ukrainian into English must be notarized, translation from Russian into English does not need to be notarized).

"

The above instructions talk about notorization requirements but I want to find out if the english translations have to be certified by someone. For example - her Police report is in Russian and now it needs to be translated in English. We

have already translated it in English but now do we need to get it certified by some linguistic center or someone local who can certify and stamp the english translation? What heve other done here?

thx

We used ASTA-USA Translation Sevices 858-756-7156 www.asta-usa.com

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Who ever did the translation should make a note at the bottom of the translation stating that they are conversant in foreign language, and English, at the the translation is accurate, and print name sign and date the translation. Doing that certifies the translation, the person doing the translation certifies their translation.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Who ever did the translation should make a note at the bottom of the translation stating that they are conversant in foreign language, and English, at the the translation is accurate, and print name sign and date the translation. Doing that certifies the translation, the person doing the translation certifies their translation.

Just to add a caveat... What YuandDan describe above is the USCIS standard for translations. This standard may or may not be acceptable by the consulate. It is best to understand if the individual consulate prescribes something different.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
For example - her Police report is in Russian and now it needs to be translated in English.
Why does it need to be translated into English? Based on personal experience and the instructions in the embassy packet the police certificate if issued within Russia does not need to be translated. On the same note, most translation services in Russia are very cheap in comparison to services here and notary functions usually accompany their services.

Timeline
For example - her Police report is in Russian and now it needs to be translated in English.
Why does it need to be translated into English? Based on personal experience and the instructions in the embassy packet the police certificate if issued within Russia does not need to be translated. On the same note, most translation services in Russia are very cheap in comparison to services here and notary functions usually accompany their services.

The moscow embassy website mentions the below and they seem to require the english translation for russian documents. Only notorization is conditional but it does not mention anything about certification for the translation. How have others handled it?

"

"

Timeline

This is from a USCIS filing instructions concerning translations to English:

Translations. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that thetranslator has certified as complete and correct, and bythe translator's certification that he or she is competentto translate the foreign language into English.

We chose to have it notorized as well as be reccognized as an official translation. Better safe than sorry.

Timeline
The Moscow embassy website mentions the below and they seem to require the English translation for Russian documents. Only notarization is conditional but it does not mention anything about certification for the translation. How have others handled it?

"

"

This topic has been discussed so many times before. Look at the embassy instructions in the following post:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry965549

Don't mix apples and oranges. The police certificate only goes to the embassy and not the USCIS. Therefore, different instructions are given as to which documents must be translated and notarized and which ones are not and in which format.

The reason one needs to translate the birth certificate and divorce decree is because those documents will follow their way into the sealed envelope and back to USCIS for future AOS. The police certificate is only used to prove one is not inadmissible for a visa to begin with. Once in the US, biometrics -> background checks will then determine if one has committed any crimes in the US to cover the period after the visa is issued to determine if one is admissible to adjust status.

Timeline

Translations. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that thetranslator has certified as complete and correct, and bythe translator's certification that he or she is competentto translate the foreign language into English.

We chose to have it notorized as well as be reccognized as an official translation. Better safe than sorry.

Yes, but please remember that the consulate is not a part of the USCIS (which is a part of the Department of Homeland Security) but a component of the Department of State. Different departments withing the US government may have different needs and/or requirements.

YMMV

Timeline
The Moscow embassy website mentions the below and they seem to require the English translation for Russian documents. Only notarization is conditional but it does not mention anything about certification for the translation. How have others handled it?

"

"

This topic has been discussed so many times before. Look at the embassy instructions in the following post:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry965549

:) there is no clear answer in that post also. The language on the embassy website about Police certificate in specific does not mention translation, however the language on the top of all documentary requirement list contradicts this.

I guess we will wait for packet 4 to arrive and follow any instructions there. If none, will get it certified to be safe.

by the way we have our interview date and packet 4 has been mailed - i called DOS this morning and got the info.

Timeline
:) there is no clear answer in that post also. The language on the embassy website about Police certificate in specific does not mention translation, however the language on the top of all documentary requirement list contradicts this.
All I can tell you is that I and a bunch of others did nothing with the police certificate and all of us got our visas. If you want to blow of a couple hundred rubles on it for your peace of mind you are welcome to do so. Likewise to resolve the problem you can always email the embassy at:

consulMo@state.gov

They always responded to all my questions within a few days free of charge.

Timeline

The USCIS will need those same documents translated for your AOS so why not meet the more stringent requirements? As I said before better safe than sorry. You have to deal with Border Patrol at your POE, i would rather have the documents meeting USCIS requirements when they rip open the sealed manilla envolope you can't open. If they want to be difficult they can.

Timeline
The USCIS will need those same documents translated for your AOS so why not meet the more stringent requirements?

My point was and always has been that the consulate's requirement might be more stringent not the fairly innocuous USCIS requirement.

YMMV

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife's degree is in English and, as part of her job, she translates back and forth Russian/English.

I've asked the consulate if she may translate her own documents, and certify them herself, or if we need a third party. I'll post the answer to my query when it comes.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Timeline
The USCIS will need those same documents translated for your AOS so why not meet the more stringent requirements?
Like I said before, the foreign police certificate is not needed for USCIS, thus making your argument mute.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.