cew

2 year wait to remove conditions

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I met and married my husband while I was working here in the US on a visa. My visa expired while I was in the greencard process and now I am totally reliant on my husband for my greencard.

I have my interview in 3 weeks. I just found out he is having an affair. We are going through with the interview so I will get my greencard in 3 weeks, but, I am pretending all is ok, and I want to work on this marriage etc, to make sure he goes through with it. Truth is, I want to leave him asap, I hate him right now, and if he wasn't my sponser I would be long gone.

Is there any way out of the 2 year wait if he is being unfaithful, or do I have to stay in this sham of a marriage and pretend everything is ok for 2 whole years? I am so trapped right now, any advice would be most welcome. For what its worth, this was a real marriage, I would never have done this for a GC, but now I am this far in, I am not going to lose it.

Thank you,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You need to first get conditional LPR Status.

You can have the Joint filing condition wavered for lifting the conditions if divorced, however they do look at the length of marriage and other circumstances, they can deny lifting conditions, if they think that all the original marriage was just to get a green-card.

Filing after Divorce or Annulment

A conditional permanent resident with a marriage that was terminated due to divorce or annulment must file for a waiver of the requirement of the joint filing of Form I-751. To obtain an approval of the I-751 and be granted unconditional lawful permanent resident status, the conditional permanent resident spouse must be able to show that s/he entered into the marriage in good faith.

The person seeking permanent resident status should expect to undergo an interview at the USCIS about the marriage. The USCIS will closely scrutinize whether the marriage was bona fide at its inception. The USCIS will review the divorce decree and complaint for matters that may be reflective of whether the marriage was entered into purely for immigration purposes or to perpetrate fraud against the United States citizen spouse or the USCIS.

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_remcon.html

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I am not an expert but do you think they will also want to see that she has more ties/reason to stay here than go back to her own country? like property or job or whatever?

Those are not issues considered when determining if she can file to lift conditions separately.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I know it's a tough situation but if I were you, I would stick to it until I got my 10 year card in my hands. If the US is the place where you want to live and you were in a real marriage, it's a shame to have to leave because you didn't wait a while to get it. You don't have a timeline so I don't know how much more time you have left.

I totally understand that this is a very personal decision and I hope you choose well.

Best wishes,

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

I am so sorry to hear about your situation:(. I can't give information on the green-card bit because I'm not that far yet, but I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope everything works out for the best. (F)

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

Timeline

I dont know about timelines etc, but I have my interview in 3 weeks for my greencard, then I understood I had to wait another 2 years until it was truely mine, without needing my husband. It was a genuine marriage, although I dont know how to prove this, other than trips, photos, emails, two wedding ceremonies etc.

I will wait out the 2 years pretending I dont know/care about the affair if I have too, I have been here in the US for nearly 3 years, and have great friends/job etc that I dont want to give up, but I would love to leave him if I could, I would never let someone treat me like this if I wasn't trapped.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

So sorry to hear that - it's a tough situation, especially when most of your support network is probably far away right now. I think for the greencard interview, I would do the same as what you're thinking - go ahead as planned, get this first step out of the way.

Then, I would recommend reading the I-751 "Removal of conditions" form instructions (on USCIS webiste/forms). They're pretty clear that in 2 years you have a choice:

* File jointly, if the marriage is still intact, OR

* File on your own, if you have separated.

If you do separate, you'd need to prove that the original marriage was genuine, entered into in good faith and not for the purposes of getting a green card. It might be hard to prove that if you separate straight away after the interview, but start collecting evidence! Anything that shows the two of you living right now as husband and wife. Are you thinking about trying to work it out with him? See a marriage counsellor. Keep documentation of your appointments. In 2 years, whether your marriage works or not, the marriage counsellor would be a great person to write an affadavit for you about the circumstances of your genuine marriage, the affair, and whatever happens next.

Personally, if my husband cheated on me? I would have no reason to be in US so i'd go back to my life in Australia very happily. But it's your life and your circumstances are your own. You've come this far in the immigration process - if you really want to stay in the US, right now you just need to take care of whatever it is that you need to do for yourself and the rest of your life.

All the best to you with whatever you choose.

Mike (Connecticut, USA) and Rosemary (Blue Mountains, Australia)

NATURALISATION UPDATE:

Nov 5 2008 - sent in N400 to CSC

Nov 13 2008 - check cashed

Nov 19 2008 - received NOA dated Nov 13, says application transferred to Nat'l Benefits Center

Dec 4 2008 - Biometrics done

Feb 9 2009 - Received letter saying interview on Mar 18 2009.

Mar 18 2009 - Interview - in and out in 8 minutes!

Mar 23 2009 - Received oath letter for ceremony April 10. Doh!! I'll be travelling. Sent letter requesting later ceremony date.

May 29 2009 - OATH CEREMONY, Reno. I am now a US citizen!

I-751 UPDATE:

May 2007 - Moved to Reno NV, and so we file at CSC instead of NSC - yay!!!

July 23, 2007 - I-751 mailed

July 25, 2007, 10.47am - envelope delivered to CSC

August 2, 2007 - Check cashed

August 6, 2007 - NOA 1 received

Sept 10, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

Sept 21, 2007 - Received 10yGC approval letter dated 9/18 - wow, speedy, and no interview!

Sept 29, 2007 - 10yr GC arrives

OUR HISTORY:

Oct 1 2005 - AUSTRALIAN WEDDING!!

Oct 4 - DCF Sydney Interview, Visa in Hand!

Oct 18 - WE FLY BACK TO UTAH TOGETHER!!!!!! POE LAX

Nov 1 2005 - Received Green Card by Mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Then, I would recommend reading the I-751 "Removal of conditions" form instructions (on USCIS webiste/forms). They're pretty clear that in 2 years you have a choice:

* File jointly, if the marriage is still intact, OR

* File on your own, if you have separated.

If you do separate, you'd need to prove that the original marriage was genuine, entered into in good faith and not for the purposes of getting a green card. It might be hard to prove that if you separate straight away after the interview, but start collecting evidence! Anything that shows the two of you living right now as husband and wife. Are you thinking about trying to work it out with him? See a marriage counsellor. Keep documentation of your appointments. In 2 years, whether your marriage works or not, the marriage counsellor would be a great person to write an affadavit for you about the circumstances of your genuine marriage, the affair, and whatever happens next.

Personally, if my husband cheated on me? I would have no reason to be in US so i'd go back to my life in Australia very happily. But it's your life and your circumstances are your own. You've come this far in the immigration process - if you really want to stay in the US, right now you just need to take care of whatever it is that you need to do for yourself and the rest of your life.

All the best to you with whatever you choose.

Needs to be divorced or annulled in order to waive the joint filing requirement, if only separated, it has to be filed jointly, with limited exception.
Filing if the Couple is Separated

More troublesome is if the couple is still married, but separated or otherwise not getting along. With limited exception, as long as the couple is legally married, it is necessary to have a joint petition. Thus, troubled marriages often need either to be reconciled or terminated in order to file the I-751. As explained below, the I-751 can be filed by divorced individuals, and may be approved, as long as there is sufficient evidence that the marriage was genuine when initially entered into. It is more difficult to satisfy the USCIS in such scenarios, however.

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_remcon.html

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Thank you so much for all your help.

I did book us in to see a marriage therapist, and he told my husband exactly what I did, 'you cannot be friends with your ex if she is still in love with you' but he cannot let her go, so thats that.

Maybe I should book some more therapy though, so that the doctor can write a letter to say that I tried, and that the marriage was real, thats a good idea.

I wonder how often people are sucsessful in filing alone and getting an unconditional greencard?

I guess the next two years are going to go very slowly for me....

I met and married my husband while I was working here in the US on a visa. My visa expired while I was in the greencard process and now I am totally reliant on my husband for my greencard.

I have my interview in 3 weeks. I just found out he is having an affair. We are going through with the interview so I will get my greencard in 3 weeks, but, I am pretending all is ok, and I want to work on this marriage etc, to make sure he goes through with it. Truth is, I want to leave him asap, I hate him right now, and if he wasn't my sponser I would be long gone.

Is there any way out of the 2 year wait if he is being unfaithful, or do I have to stay in this sham of a marriage and pretend everything is ok for 2 whole years? I am so trapped right now, any advice would be most welcome. For what its worth, this was a real marriage, I would never have done this for a GC, but now I am this far in, I am not going to lose it.

Thank you,

Sorry to hear about your situation but don't you think you are commiting fraud by lying in front of immigration officer, USCIS and US govt? IMO, if you feel that your situtaion might improve, ask USCIS to postpone the interview.

If you divorce him after getting conditional GC, you can apply for "removal of conditions" anytime on basis of "good faith waiver". You need not to wait for 2 years.

Edited by R751

Filed: Timeline
Thank you so much for all your help.

I did book us in to see a marriage therapist, and he told my husband exactly what I did, 'you cannot be friends with your ex if she is still in love with you' but he cannot let her go, so thats that.

Maybe I should book some more therapy though, so that the doctor can write a letter to say that I tried, and that the marriage was real, thats a good idea.

I wonder how often people are sucsessful in filing alone and getting an unconditional greencard?

I guess the next two years are going to go very slowly for me....

What state to do you live in?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Thank you,

Sorry to hear about your situation but don't you think you are commiting fraud by lying in front of immigration officer, USCIS and US govt? IMO, if you feel that your situtaion might improve, ask USCIS to postpone the interview.

If you divorce him after getting conditional GC, you can apply for "removal of conditions" anytime on basis of "good faith waiver". You need not to wait for 2 years.

<<Sorry to hear about your situation but don't you think you are commiting fraud by lying in front of immigration officer, USCIS and US govt?>> :innocent:

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

I wonder what happens if a couple goes to an AOS interview and admits that they are having problems in the marriage and tells the AO that they are seeking counseling, but may end up splitting up...

... anyone know of such a situation? How was it adjudicated?

Curious.

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

I wonder what happens if a couple goes to an AOS interview and admits that they are having problems in the marriage and tells the AO that they are seeking counseling, but may end up splitting up...

... anyone know of such a situation? How was it adjudicated?

Curious.

Maya

I would expect it to be approved. The purpose of the conditional period is to make it more difficult to marry purely for immigrantion. They are looking to see if the marriage is bonafide--not whether it is a good marriage. The indication that they will seek counseling shows that the marriage is bonafide albeit bad.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.