26 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, David Mpoyi said:

Honestly that is a valid question to ask. But we have in contact and what makes this process  difficult is that there is a child involved. She left when she was pregnant.

That does put a different light on the situation. Is your name on baby’s birth certificate? 
You have your hands full …did you complete CBRA and US passport for baby? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Family said:

That does put a different light on the situation. Is your name on baby’s birth certificate? 
You have your hands full …did you complete CBRA and US passport for baby? 

I have not done either. I am going to start on that process as soon as possible. I have to reply to the AOS RFE by march of this year. The best route will probably getting a lawyer :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
37 minutes ago, jan22 said:

per the timeline, the AOS was filed in November 2021, not after she left in January 2022.

"She left while I was doing the AOS paperwork".

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Just now, David Mpoyi said:

have not done either. I am going to start on that process as soon as possible. I have to reply to the AOS RFE by march of this year. The best route will probably getting a lawyer :(

Unless you get her back here …and file I-130/I-485 again …no matter how much you pay any attorney and no matter what you respond ,  it will be denied for abandonment. 

Since baby cannot travel w his mom, and I doubt you can manage getting yourself added to birth certificate and a successful CRBA until March, take a different approach now.

1, File I-130 online / consular process, today. The good bit is that she will get a 10:yr green card at the end of the road. You have everything you need to file it.

2. Have her start process to add you to baby’s birth certificate ( maybe get help from local attorney)

3. Download CRBA and start putting together proof you have lived in US 

Plan for a few trips to be w your family and reconnect..if it’s meant to be time won’t separate you. 

13 minutes ago, jan22 said:
40 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

"She left while I was doing the AOS paperwork".

I read that, but we don't know exactly what "doing" the AOS paperwork means to the OP.  His time line definitely shows it was filed November 1, 2021 with a USCIS receipt date of November 20, 2021

OP, you have two excellent members engaging your issues, please clarify if wife left before receipt date on I-485…cause if that’s the case, it’s NOT worth trying to get her back in on AP before March and..,.a withdrawal letter of the I-485 is warranted now

Edited by Family

Timeline
12 minutes ago, jan22 said:

I read that, but we don't know exactly what "doing" the AOS paperwork means to the OP.  His time line definitely shows it was filed November 1, 2021 with a USCIS receipt date of November 20, 2021.

I phrased that wrong. I had already submitted the AOS paperwork. I was waiting on the response when she left. That is before she got the EAD.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
13 minutes ago, David Mpoyi said:

I phrased that wrong. I had already submitted the AOS paperwork. I was waiting on the response when she left. That is before she got the EAD.

Regardless, she abandoned the Adjustment of Status. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. That is what I am going to do. Withdrawal the I485 and try to submit for spousal visa.

1 minute ago, David Mpoyi said:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. That is what I am going to do. Withdrawal the I485 and try to submit for spousal visa.

Make sure you understand the wait times and the process, plus have your wife on the same page with you before you file anything. Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.