ta&na

April 2024?

20 posts in this topic

I submitted the I-130 form in October.

I submitted electronically and it went to the Nebraska office.  the wait time is about 10 months.  this puts her approval around September.

My current work contract ends in March 20224.  

we have almost all the information ready for the IV and AOS packets. 

only thing we don't have ready is the Background checks.  would there be any issue if I tried to get those now or within the next couple of months?

What are the chances that my wife will have her green card and be able to fly to the US by April 2024?

I think a significant consideration is where your partner is right now - different countries have different wait times for interviews.

By background checks I assume you mean police checks? I would probably wait on getting those if they're in your partners current country of residence as there is a time limit on those. I believe if she no longer lives there then the time limit is longer/it doesn't run out. So may be worth getting those if she has lived anywhere else. 

1 hour ago, Micam said:

I think a significant consideration is where your partner is right now - different countries have different wait times for interviews.

By background checks I assume you mean police checks? I would probably wait on getting those if they're in your partners current country of residence as there is a time limit on those. I believe if she no longer lives there then the time limit is longer/it doesn't run out. So may be worth getting those if she has lived anywhere else. 

We are living together in Japan.

yes, i meant police checks.  we would need one for Japan, and Korea.  the korean one was for a temporary job she had shortly after high school.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Find out what the expiration is on police checks before you get them. From what I've read, most PCC's have a 6 month expiration time. She will also need to get a PCC from each country she has lived in for 6 months since turning 16 (not sure if this is relevant). In the case that she has lived in a different country and doesn't plan on returning to said country, you can try and get those beforehand as they will not expire for this purpose. If you are only getting PCC's from Japan, I would recommend getting them closer to the I130 approval estimate, or getting them once the I130 is approved and you are waiting for the NVC welcome letter.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Dewald & Brittney said:

Find out what the expiration is on police checks before you get them. From what I've read, most PCC's have a 6 month expiration time. She will also need to get a PCC from each country she has lived in for 6 months since turning 16 (not sure if this is relevant). In the case that she has lived in a different country and doesn't plan on returning to said country, you can try and get those beforehand as they will not expire for this purpose. If you are only getting PCC's from Japan, I would recommend getting them closer to the I130 approval estimate, or getting them once the I130 is approved and you are waiting for the NVC welcome letter.

Expiration dates on Police checks are meaningless.  Consulates only care about issue dates.  For the old job in Korea, get them now.  No expiration because she doesn't live there anymore.  For Japan, wait until closer to when you think the petition would be approved, but the one from Japan will be acceptable up until 2 years after issue.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

get the US passports for the 2 kids using your CBRA and its good u have those as otherwise they would need I 130 too 

Normal timeframe for the entire process is 2 years  but no one here can predict when her visa will be issued 

Filed: Timeline
59 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

get the US passports for the 2 kids using your CBRA and its good u have those as otherwise they would need I 130 too 

Normal timeframe for the entire process is 2 years  but no one here can predict when her visa will be issued 

Perhaps you posted this to the wrong thread?

Timeline
2 hours ago, jan22 said:

Perhaps you posted this to the wrong thread?

No,  December 25th she wrote that she had gotten the CBRA for 2 children

Ive seen posts with long lists of evidence for bona fide relationships.  I already submitted the I-130, but reading some of the posts makes me question if I should have added more evidence. 

I submitted our Marriage certificate, C.R.B.A. certificates for our two children, and we have had the same address for the last 4 years.  She also took my last name after we married.

Should I have submitted more?  

I have plenty of pictures, and an apartment contract with our names on it that I can technically submit. 

12 hours ago, ta&na said:

I submitted the I-130 form in October.

I submitted electronically and it went to the Nebraska office.  the wait time is about 10 months.  this puts her approval around September.

My current work contract ends in March 20224.  

we have almost all the information ready for the IV and AOS packets. 

only thing we don't have ready is the Background checks.  would there be any issue if I tried to get those now or within the next couple of months?

What are the chances that my wife will have her green card and be able to fly to the US by April 2024?

The petition might not be in Nebraska. 

It might take longer than 10 months and having all documents approved first time round at NVC is not guaranteed. 

It sounds like you are currently living overseas and have dependents. Do you have sufficient assets or will you be using a joint sponsor?

I would study the requirements for domicile and I-864 supplementary evidence before the I-130 is approved so you're approved at NVC after first submission. 

ETA: Get the Korean Background check NOW. And make sure you get the correct Korean Background check as different forms are produced for Koreans, non-Koreans and those living overseas. Make sure your wife does not go to Korea after she receives her PC from Korea. Get the Japanese background check as soon as the petition is approved. It takes a few days for NVC to receive your information and you cannot upload documents until you've paid the fees. 

Edited by ROK2USA

3 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

The petition might not be in Nebraska. 

It might take longer than 10 months and having all documents approved first time round at NVC is not guaranteed. 

It sounds like you are currently living overseas and have dependents. Do you have sufficient assets or will you be using a joint sponsor?

I would study the requirements for domicile and I-864 supplementary evidence before the I-130 is approved so you're approved at NVC after first submission. 

ETA: Get the Korean Background check NOW. And make sure you get the correct Korean Background check as different forms are produced for Koreans, non-Koreans and those living overseas. Make sure your wife does not go to Korea after she receives her PC from Korea. Get the Japanese background check as soon as the petition is approved. It takes a few days for NVC to receive your information and you cannot upload documents until you've paid the fees. 

The  I-797c notice was from the nebraska service center.  i was assuming thats who got the paperwork.  Is there a way to find out for sure?

We have 2 dependents,  both have CRBA and U.S. passports.  the I-130 petition is for my wife only.

I have a joint sponsor for the I-864.  all I-864 paperwork is filled out.  I have been looking through the forums here to make sure everything is correct.

we also set money aside for the fees.

ill talk to my wife and get the Korean PC.

Timeline
1 hour ago, ta&na said:

The  I-797c notice was from the nebraska service center.  i was assuming thats who got the paperwork.  Is there a way to find out for sure?

We have 2 dependents,  both have CRBA and U.S. passports.  the I-130 petition is for my wife only.

I have a joint sponsor for the I-864.  all I-864 paperwork is filled out.  I have been looking through the forums here to make sure everything is correct.

we also set money aside for the fees.

ill talk to my wife and get the Korean PC.

u can hit the word portal above and in the right hand column ,  check timelines on that page (under members, or those with pending appointments 

4 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

u can hit the word portal above and in the right hand column ,  check timelines on that page (under members, or those with pending appointments 

I looked,  Nebraska has an average of 285 days between NOA1 and NOA2. Ive read that the transfer between the cervice center and the consulate can take about 4 weeks.  The Tokyo Embassy has an average of 123 between NOA2 and the Interview.  I also read that it can take up to 30 days to hear back from the Consulate about the decision. 

there are about 517 days between the time I submitted and April 1st. 517-(285+28+123+30)=51.

this is assuming that I am close to or below average time, that everything is approved first time, and that there are no requests for more information.

Is 51 days enough time to get the paperwork needed for my wife to move to the US in April?

I guess I am also looking for advice or info on how to make sure there are no mistakes and that everything is accepted and no extra information is needed.

Edited by ta&na

Timeline

immigration documents will be scanned to NVC before the interview

she needs to take the originals to the interview 

i would have  her get school transcripts and an original birth certificate for ur records

even another marriage certificate if possible

and copy of record of all shots from her dr

23 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

i would have  her get school transcripts and an original birth certificate for ur records

even another marriage certificate if possible

and copy of record of all shots from her dr

I new they asked about her education, but didnt know they need the transcripts.  Do we need to go back all the way to High school, or would just College be ok?

Her father had her shot record, but they dont have a friendly relationship.  We are trying to see if he still has them, If not then she will be getting the shots again.

I am assuming everything needs to be translated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.