Micam

Suggested Tax Information to Submit

9 posts in this topic

So we are still waiting on the I-130 approval but we are trying to get the documents for the next stage in order so we have them ready to go. We are just not sure what the best information would be to provide, and I would like to get it right first time. I am aware that we need at least the last year of tax transcripts, but can provide up to 3 years. To give you a background of finances:

2022 - comfortably over the poverty threshold, working in US, tax returns will be sorted ASAP. Can also provide pay slips/letter from employer etc.

2021 - below poverty threshold, working abroad, taxes filed 

2020 - below poverty threshold, working abroad, below amount needed to file taxes so not filed (and didn't realise they needed to be done despite this), payslips or proof of payment may be difficult to obtain from past employer 

Would you recommend that we only file the most recent year and include recent pay slips? We don't have any assets either.

Additionally we could get parents on the US side to be joint sponsors for us - would this be the simplest way for us to get a definite approval ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Choose 1. 

1. Tax transcripts 

2. Tax returns + W2s 

3. Get joint sponsor. 

You cannot mix and match. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

7 minutes ago, Timona said:

Choose 1. 

1. Tax transcripts 

2. Tax returns + W2s 

3. Get joint sponsor. 

You cannot mix and match. 

Oh really, I did not realise this. I saw you can fill out "first" or "second of two joint sponsors" on the I-864. I assumed this would be 2 x different forms and could include the petitioner and the joint sponsor, and therefore have separate proof for each. Am I totally misunderstanding the form? 

Would you suggest that a joint sponsor would be safer than just 1 year of transcripts? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

since u just sent petition late september 2022,  you are looking to have the 2022  tax returns by time of interview

interview after april 15th,  2023,  then 2022

On 12/28/2022 at 5:45 PM, Misscloud said:

we submitted

3 years tax transcripts + w2 ( because there is a year my husband filed single when we havent got married, and then 2 years married filing jointly)

6 months paystubs + employment letter

get joint sponsor 

Sorry, do you mean you submitted all of those? Or are you suggesting I get a joint sponsor?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Micam said:

Sorry, do you mean you submitted all of those? Or are you suggesting I get a joint sponsor?

I... am suggesting you become an A-Student of not just the form, but it's PDF instructions.  Sounds like you will qualify along.  After studying the instructions, come back with any further questions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

I... am suggesting you become an A-Student of not just the form, but it's PDF instructions.  Sounds like you will qualify along.  After studying the instructions, come back with any further questions.

Yes, I did take a look before I posted this and I thought that you could include all of these. But now I am getting confused and am thinking that maybe I misunderstood the instructions, as Timona's response stated you had to choose only 1, and we wouldn't be able to file our financial information AND have a joint sponsor?

I was under the impression that we would file our tax/financial information (as much as we think would be beneficial) and the joint sponsor would also include theirs on their own form also. My original question was if we should go ahead and file with the joint sponsor, or if we would be in an okay situation to try without (without getting turned away).

Edited by Micam

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, Micam said:

Yes, I did take a look before I posted this and I thought that you could include all of these. But now I am getting confused and am thinking that maybe I misunderstood the instructions, as Timona's response stated you had to choose only 1, and we wouldn't be able to file our financial information AND have a joint sponsor?

I was under the impression that we would file our tax/financial information (as much as we think would be beneficial) and the joint sponsor would also include theirs on their own form also. My original question was if we should go ahead and file with the joint sponsor, or if we would be in an okay situation to try without (without getting turned away).

I didn't suggest "taking a look".  I am encouraging you to become an A-Student of both the instructions and the form.  Yes, file your 2022 tax return ASAP and before you complete the I-864.  One recent pay stub for a full pay period will do nicely.  No need for multiple pay stubs.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.