eeaaggllee

Obtaining an unrestricted SSN with expired green card + 24 month extension letter?

5 posts in this topic

I went to the local SSA on Friday and the representative was not 100% she can do this. She asked her supervisor and enter the application for me anyway, saying it’s now dependent upon if DHS approves or not. The extension letter just proves that my PR status was extended, but in the system she mostly used the A-number for DHS verification.

The weird thing is, on the SSN receipt, it still says “work only if you have authorization from the DHS”. But in my subsequent call after the visit, another representative said my immigration status was cleared and I should receive an unrestricted SSN.

It is so confusing…not sure if it actually went through or not. ☹️☹️

3D5AE38B-AF3A-4681-B699-2F829354B97A.jpeg

Edited by eeaaggllee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Your SSA office is staffed with  incompetents.  We got my wife an unrestricted SS card with her 2 year gc abs extension letter by walking into 88 W 38th St #100, Tucson, AZ 85713. Make the trip.  

The clerk knew exactly what the deal was and even knew where my wife lived. It was the easiest social security experience I’ve ever had.  

Edited by Mike E

41 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Your SSA office is staffed with  incompetents.  We got my wife an unrestricted SS card with her 2 year gc abs extension letter by walking into 88 W 38th St #100, Tucson, AZ 85713. Make the trip.  

The clerk knew exactly what the deal was and even knew where my wife lived. It was the easiest social security experience I’ve ever had.  

Thank you! Hopefully it did go through and I am as lucky as your wife

• 6 months later...
On 12/10/2022 at 7:33 PM, eeaaggllee said:

I went to the local SSA on Friday and the representative was not 100% she can do this. She asked her supervisor and enter the application for me anyway, saying it’s now dependent upon if DHS approves or not. The extension letter just proves that my PR status was extended, but in the system she mostly used the A-number for DHS verification.

The weird thing is, on the SSN receipt, it still says “work only if you have authorization from the DHS”. But in my subsequent call after the visit, another representative said my immigration status was cleared and I should receive an unrestricted SSN.

It is so confusing…not sure if it actually went through or not. ☹️☹️

3D5AE38B-AF3A-4681-B699-2F829354B97A.jpeg

I got this exact same letter. Did it go through for you?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.