Adujarric

Naturalization & years as LPR.

11 posts in this topic

A little background story to my questions. I came to the US at the age of 11. I pretty much grow up here not knowing the difference between being a citizen or permanent resident as weird as it sounds it wasnt important for me. I know plenty of ppl that came to this country as early as 1 years old and as adults found themselves being deported for committing criminal offenses and not knowing they could have gotten deported because they were not citizens. Some ppl live their whole life as LPRs not knowing the difference. I was one of those 🤦🏾‍♂️. Anyways fast forward 20 something years to 2019 when I decided to became a citizen because at that time i was an adult & well informed. For my N-400 interview i didnt have to bring much just prove my child support was current and a couple of dispositions of things that happened during my teenage years. My question is after how many years does the requirement of alot information like tax returns & employement status is not needed? Or was my interview unique in the sense that the IO didnt ask me for no paper work other than the ones i mentioned. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Sometimes tax transcripts are not requested. 

You are fortunate 

I was an LPR for over 30 years and I had to provide tax transcripts to naturalize.  I’m surprised you attempted without them. 

19 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Sometimes tax transcripts are not requested. 

You are fortunate 

I was an LPR for over 30 years and I had to provide tax transcripts to naturalize.  I’m surprised you attempted without them. 

Ok i was wondering if those were documenta required to LPRs applying under the 3 or 5 year rule but now i see it depends on the IO i guess. But it makes sense they dont want anyone acquiring citizenship that they might consider a public burden. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with @Mike E, it all really depends on the IO handling the case and the circumstances of the case.  The N400 instructions as well as the interview letter list a lot of material to bring to the interview, in my wife’s case, she brought everything and the IO interviewing her asked for none of it.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Adujarric said:

Ok i was wondering if those were documenta required to LPRs applying under the 3 or 5 year rule but now i see it depends on the IO i guess. But it makes sense they dont want anyone acquiring citizenship that they might consider a public burden. 

The big difference between the 3 and 5 year rule is needing to show a strong marital union to the spouse that petitioned the applicant initially when applying under the 3 yr rule.  Everything else is the same.  Btw, even if submitting an N400 after being an LPR 20-30 years, it is still considered applying under the 5 yr rule.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Adujarric said:

Tax transcripts are evidence the  LPR maintained continuous residency 

If filing under the 3 year rule joint tax transcripts are evidence the LPR maintained  continuous marital union with a U.S. citizen 

LPRs should file tax returns each year even if the IRS doesn’t require it. USCIS requires it. 

34 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Tax transcripts are evidence the  LPR maintained continuous residency 

If filing under the 3 year rule joint tax transcripts are evidence the LPR maintained  continuous marital union with a U.S. citizen 

LPRs should file tax returns each year even if the IRS doesn’t require it. USCIS requires it. 

Yeah it makes sense in my case i still had my original passport with no travel history at all i never left the country after i got here. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Adujarric said:

As an LPR in 96 via my father who was an LPR. 

Okay. I assume your father didn't naturalize before your 18th birthday? 

20 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

Okay. I assume your father didn't naturalize before your 18th birthday? 

No when both my parents did it i was over 21. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.