Ani_B

What to carry when conditional green card expires?

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I was wondering if I could have some advice?

My conditional residency green card expires in March and I will be submitting my form to remove conditions at the start of the new year, so I make it to the start of the 90 day window. But I was wondering, when my card expires and I just have an NOA that proves my extended status, do I carry both my expired green card and the NOA with me at all times?

I am always worried about losing or damaging the NOA because I know we only get the one copy. Would there be any way that I could make a photocopy of the front and back of the NOA and carry that around with me instead?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I don’t know what the law is when you have an expired gc.  

We carried my wife’s gc and extension letter when we were near the border due to internal border patrol check points near our home.  

Otherwise the letter stayed locked up in a safe and we had digital copies on our phones.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

My husband got his driver license updated with the extension letter to have current ID if needed (if you don’t drive, get a state ID).   But like the other person said, we didn’t carry the letter anywhere.  We would have to travel, but we filed just a few months before Covid, so no travel for a while.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

When travelling internationally or near the border I do carry the original letter + gc, but otherwise I only carry a photocopy of the letter.

I usually just use my driver's license within the country, the only time I've needed to show my GC + letter in the US was to renew my license.

Edited by AffableAndy

I did get a Non Driver ID and then later  Learner Permit ID earlier this year, so I have that ID I can also carry around. Sounds like a photocopy of the lettter is what I will stick with for just normal day to day things, but if we go anywhere official or near any borders, I'll be sure to carry the original. I'll carry my GC even after it has expired, just to be safe. Thanks for all the advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.