TastyCake

N400 status - Attention Boston filers !!!

165 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have a question for those who have recently had their citizenship interview at the downtown Boston USCIS office (JFK Federal Building across from City Hall).

How might you recommend preparing for the English test (Speaking, Writing, Reading)? IS there a way to prepare? Is it simple and straightforward?

Any information and guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Timeline
11 hours ago, TastyCake said:

I have a question for those who have recently had their citizenship interview at the downtown Boston USCIS office (JFK Federal Building across from City Hall).

How might you recommend preparing for the English test (Speaking, Writing, Reading)? IS there a way to prepare? Is it simple and straightforward?

Any information and guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

My hubby took the free classes at our local library for a while. And  then just kept reading and rereading the study material. Closer to the interview- I was quizzing him, asking the questions and he responded. And it worked!

K-1

NOA1: 01/25/2019

NOA2: 04/22/2019

I-485

NOA1: 07/25/2019

Interview: 11/21/2019 Approved

I-751

NOA1: 09/03/2021

Interview: 02/08/2024

Approved: 02/08/2024

N-400

NOA1:08/24/2022

Oath:02/21/2024

Timeline
47 minutes ago, zanzala said:

My hubby took the free classes at our local library for a while. And  then just kept reading and rereading the study material. Closer to the interview- I was quizzing him, asking the questions and he responded. And it worked!

I think you may be referring to the civics test. If so, that is not what I was asking about. I was asking about the part of the test where you have to read one sentence correctly in English and write one sentence correctly in English.

34 minutes ago, TastyCake said:

you have to read one sentence correctly in English and write one sentence correctly in English.

That's exactly it. You're writing paragraphs in perfect English, there's nothing that will trip you up. The sentences are similar to the questions on the civis test, as you will have to read " who was the first president" and write "the first president was George Washington". Don't overthink it, it's one phrase each.

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

Timeline
3 hours ago, TastyCake said:

I think you may be referring to the civics test. If so, that is not what I was asking about. I was asking about the part of the test where you have to read one sentence correctly in English and write one sentence correctly in English.

Lol, you are right! :)

K-1

NOA1: 01/25/2019

NOA2: 04/22/2019

I-485

NOA1: 07/25/2019

Interview: 11/21/2019 Approved

I-751

NOA1: 09/03/2021

Approved: 02/08/2024

N-400

NOA1:08/24/2022

Oath:02/21/2024

Any updates on new interviews being set? Tracker says last updated 195 days ago and “case taking longer than expected.” I know it won’t necessarily do anything because i’m sure there’s some crazy system they have but has anyone reached out to some form of the government stating their case and seeing if it can get sped up? 

3 minutes ago, kjc22 said:

Any updates on new interviews being set? Tracker says last updated 195 days ago and “case taking longer than expected.” I know it won’t necessarily do anything because i’m sure there’s some crazy system they have but has anyone reached out to some form of the government stating their case and seeing if it can get sped up? 

Expedite request is one option. Writ of Mandamus is another. For the first one - you gotta have a valid reason why your case should be handled before other cases.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Expedite request is one option. Writ of Mandamus is another. For the first one - you gotta have a valid reason why your case should be handled before other cases.

And for the second one I hope you have ample discretionary cash in your bank account or you're going to be eating tuna casserole for the next 6 months to fund that option.

Just now, TastyCake said:

And for the second one I hope you have ample discretionary cash in your bank account or you're going to be eating tuna casserole for the next 6 months to fund that option.

1 minute ago, TastyCake said:

The total cost for me was $420 (filing cost).

Timeline

We had our combo interview today. We checked in, waited maybe 10-15 minutes and were called in.

The officer never asked a question or looked at a document we brought for the I-751. Went straight into the citizenship interview.

My wife nailed the reading and writing tests and then it was time for the civics test. 6 questions asked, 6 unwavering (and correct) answers provided and we were done.

Just the usual questions after that and then the officer gave us some GREAT news. Even though my wife was doing a small name change, they could accommodate that TODAY because they were doing oaths in the building.

After an hour or so my wife took the oath, got her naturalization document with her new name on it and moments later we were out celebrating!

We made an appointment with the USPS for tomorrow morning to send out the passport application.

WE'RE DONE !!!!! Good luck to everyone out there!

4 minutes ago, TastyCake said:

We had our combo interview today. We checked in, waited maybe 10-15 minutes and were called in.

The officer never asked a question or looked at a document we brought for the I-751. Went straight into the citizenship interview.

My wife nailed the reading and writing tests and then it was time for the civics test. 6 questions asked, 6 unwavering (and correct) answers provided and we were done.

Just the usual questions after that and then the officer gave us some GREAT news. Even though my wife was doing a small name change, they could accommodate that TODAY because they were doing oaths in the building.

After an hour or so my wife took the oath, got her naturalization document with her new name on it and moments later we were out celebrating!

We made an appointment with the USPS for tomorrow morning to send out the passport application.

Congrats! That's a big deal! Hope you will celebrate accordingly! Curious what type of name change did she do? Is she getting a name change document? If yes, you may want to wait until you file for her passport 

1 hour ago, TastyCake said:

Three cheers! hip, Hip, hooray! 
Congratulations to both of you!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳

A big hug from Cata

15 hours ago, TastyCake said:

Congratulations! Hopefully the long wait will be something you folks will chuckle about in times to come.

Given the gap in time between when the I-751 was filed and when the interview happened, how many supporting documents of the intervening time did you take? Past 6 months? A year? The entire time window?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.