MandKF

Salary when transferring jobs

6 posts in this topic

My husband will be moving to the US on a Ir1 visa and there’s a possibility for him to transfer positions in his company (Sweden to NC). Is there any formula on how we could calculate his new salary or what he should ask for? Someone told me to times by 2.5? Does that sound right? He’s an engineer so he should have a pretty big pay bump hopefully 🤞

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I never heard of a standard pay conversion.

Look at glassdoor or other sites that show typical salaries.  You should be able to filter it down to states and cities, and perhaps even years of experience.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was going to say double

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 months later...
Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 11/5/2022 at 5:43 AM, MandKF said:

My husband will be moving to the US on a Ir1 visa and there’s a possibility for him to transfer positions in his company (Sweden to NC). Is there any formula on how we could calculate his new salary or what he should ask for? Someone told me to times by 2.5? Does that sound right? He’s an engineer so he should have a pretty big pay bump hopefully 🤞

In my opinion this should be handled as a negotiation. Who started the transfer? The company asked him to move or did he ask the company? How long is he working for the company and what role? Will his cost be accounted in the Sweden division or in the NC division? If his cost will be "paid" by the US side of the business he will probably be limited to their pay ranges to avoid equity issues, but you never know. Ask as much as you think they are willing to pay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 3:57 PM, jostermacedo said:

In my opinion this should be handled as a negotiation. Who started the transfer? The company asked him to move or did he ask the company? How long is he working for the company and what role? Will his cost be accounted in the Sweden division or in the NC division? If his cost will be "paid" by the US side of the business he will probably be limited to their pay ranges to avoid equity issues, but you never know. Ask as much as you think they are willing to pay.

He’s moving because I’m a U.S. citizen but he’s worked for his company for 8 years now and asked if they would be interested in keeping him on when we move and they said yes. He’ll be completely switching to the us branch so Sweden has no influence over anything. His role has been very tailored to him so it’s hard to find an exact comparison but Glassdoor lists his managers salary at 180.  The U.S. division has a much better pay range than Sweden which I why I feel he should get a good pay bump. 

Does the US side of the business not have clear salary grading/bands or have any precedent? I'm in a similar situation where I will continue to work for my company when I move on my CR1 - I'll be hired out of our US office & seconded to our London office. I had to send US HR my job description and CV so they could grade my role according to their internal system. It's resulting in an increase because the salary scales are higher than in the UK but it's the company's own calculations. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.