DrewM

Adjustment of Status for my son

62 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

You need one more certificate, the marriage certificate between the parent and stepparent. It’s hardly onerous.

Got it. I already filled out i-864 and i-864a.

i-864a is the most confusing form I ever had to fill out... 🙂

Edited by DrewM

13 minutes ago, DrewM said:

Is it worth bothering with i-765 and i-131, if my stepson is not likely to travel or work in the next year or so?

Absolutely - you can’t predict the future. Plus it can be used as evidence of status/ID. And It is free when you file with I-485! 

2 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Absolutely - you can’t predict the future. Plus it can be used as evidence of status/ID. And It is free when you file with I-485! 

Yes, telling the future is tough... 🙂

I'm just not sure what to enter for intended travel. We don't have any plans yet. Or just provide whatever is likely?

2 minutes ago, DrewM said:

Yes, telling the future is tough... 🙂

I'm just not sure what to enter for intended travel. We don't have any plans yet. Or just provide whatever is likely?

You can put N/A or TBD. That’s what I put after reading threads on VJ 

On 11/13/2022 at 11:24 AM, powerpuff said:

Question about i-765. What is would be the correct eligibility category for someone adjusting from B-2 to AOS?

Is it (c)(9)?

Edited by DrewM

On 11/13/2022 at 11:30 AM, powerpuff said:

You can put N/A or TBD. That’s what I put after reading threads on VJ 

I'm having an address conundrum. In form i-485, what should be entered as the PHYSICAL address? The address in Russia? The address in US (even though this is just a visitor)???

Same for the form i-130!!!

please help... 😞

Edited by DrewM

1 hour ago, DrewM said:

Question about i-765. What is would be the correct eligibility category for someone adjusting from B-2 to AOS?

Is it (c)(9)?

Yes c9 is correct 

56 minutes ago, DrewM said:

I'm having an address conundrum. In form i-485, what should be entered as the PHYSICAL address? The address in Russia? The address in US (even though this is just a visitor)???

Same for the form i-130!!!

please help... 😞

the address in the US, this is where he lives right now

On 10/29/2022 at 9:46 AM, Lil bear said:

Apply also for the employment authorization and travel permit .. I 765 and I 131 as these are fee waived when applying concurrently and will be processed earlier than the AOS. He can then get a SSN, a job, and if needs to he can leave the US for a short trip and return   As he is still a minor, do you have written agreement  from his other parent to allow him to immigrate ? 

Question about i-131 (and yes, I read relevant threads): is it still advisable to file it even if no plans to travel have been made?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, DrewM said:

Question about i-131 (and yes, I read relevant threads): is it still advisable to file it even if no plans to travel have been made?

Yes … it is only fee exempt if filed concurrently and you never know what may happen that will necessitate emergency travel. The best question is not “ why should i get it” but “ is there any reason not to get it?”  A resounding “no reason at all not to get it “ 

8 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Yes … it is only fee exempt if filed concurrently and you never know what may happen that will necessitate emergency travel. The best question is not “ why should i get it” but “ is there any reason not to get it?”  A resounding “no reason at all not to get it “ 

It's the part about having to explain the reason etc that bugs me, but I suppose that should be ignored. Thank you!

Timeline
11 minutes ago, DrewM said:

It's the part about having to explain the reason etc that bugs me, but I suppose that should be ignored. Thank you!

Correct. 

1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

Correct. 

Since I got your attention... 🙂

Should we include certificate of marriage #1 + certificate of divorce for the marriage #1? I'm thinking since mother's maiden name was changed when she got married (and this is asked in the application form), this would be helpful / appropriate / not confusing... 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, DrewM said:

Since I got your attention... 🙂

Should we include certificate of marriage #1 + certificate of divorce for the marriage #1? I'm thinking since mother's maiden name was changed when she got married (and this is asked in the application form), this would be helpful / appropriate / not confusing... 

include these for what .. AOS or I 131

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.