LiriaB

CR1, but we aren't married (yet)

7 posts in this topic

I'm a US Citizen living in the USA, he is in the UK.  We've know each other 10 years, and although we haven't been a couple quite that long, we have had many many visits and this has been a long time coming. 

Initially we were looking in to the K1 visa and were intent on applying for that however the reason we've begun considering CR1 instead is because he works online from home, intends to keep his job after moving here, and would not need to take an extended leave before he could legally work here.  To do so might put his job at risk and would certainly cost him some income.

Obviously to do this we need to get married first.  So we were talking about the possibility of us getting legally married here while he is visiting me, he would then return to the UK during the application process until approval.  The one question I have about this is...do we need to do anything special to allow us to get married here?  I can't find much information about this.  Is it okay to get married with the intent of later applying for immigration while he is here on an ETSA, provided he does not overstay and then returns home until he is approved?  Do we need to do anything specific or file anything/arrange anything in regards to this?  I am afraid of doing anything that may cause us problems further down the line.

4 minutes ago, LiriaB said:

I'm a US Citizen living in the USA, he is in the UK.  We've know each other 10 years, and although we haven't been a couple quite that long, we have had many many visits and this has been a long time coming. 

Initially we were looking in to the K1 visa and were intent on applying for that however the reason we've begun considering CR1 instead is because he works online from home, intends to keep his job after moving here, and would not need to take an extended leave before he could legally work here.  To do so might put his job at risk and would certainly cost him some income.

Obviously to do this we need to get married first.  So we were talking about the possibility of us getting legally married here while he is visiting me, he would then return to the UK during the application process until approval.  The one question I have about this is...do we need to do anything special to allow us to get married here?  I can't find much information about this.  Is it okay to get married with the intent of later applying for immigration while he is here on an ETSA, provided he does not overstay and then returns home until he is approved?  Do we need to do anything specific or file anything/arrange anything in regards to this?  I am afraid of doing anything that may cause us problems further down the line.

Totally  fine and legal to do what you plan.

Happy that you choose the best way.

You can check how to get the marriage license on your state and if they need any special documents from your fiancé.

Good luck and best wishes.

Just now, PaulaCJohnny said:

Totally  fine and legal to do what you plan.

Happy that you choose the best way.

You can check how to get the marriage license on your state and if they need any special documents from your fiancé.

Good luck and best wishes.

I have checked with my state government website and all they require of him is his passport to get the marriage license!  Thank you so much for your answer.

19 minutes ago, LiriaB said:

do we need to do anything special to allow us to get married here?  I can't find much information about this.  Is it okay to get married with the intent of later applying for immigration while he is here on an ETSA, provided he does not overstay and then returns home until he is approved?

It's perfectly legal to get married in the US while on ESTA, as long as the traveler can convince CBP that they intend to return to the UK on time.  From the website of the US embassy in the UK -- https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visa-faqs/

image.png.496177a9e1daca3b48f79c762f226642.png

Just remember that he is not allowed to work, not even remotely for his UK employer, while he is in the US on ESTA.  Even mentioning remote work could lead the CBP officer to suspect that he won't return home and deny him entry, like what happened to this VJ member --

17 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Just remember that he is not allowed to work, not even remotely for his UK employer, while he is in the US on ESTA.  Even mentioning remote work could lead the CBP officer to suspect that he won't return home and deny him entry, like what happened to this VJ member --

Yes, we have encountered this before when he was coming here for a visit, and his boss had given him paid time off.  He is always asked if he intends to work when here.  He has never been denied though, at immigration he has shown things such as proof of a return flight, communication from his boss approving paid time off, the fact that he has property in the UK, and also he has even printed bank statements to prove he has enough money to support his time in the US without earning additional income.  He worked remote before it became as common with COVID, it always seems to raise some suspicion at immigration so he comes prepared.

Go to Vegas! We have a vj member here who does the ceremonies as an officiant and can get you marriage certificate fast. Paging @Loren Y

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

As @milimelohas mentioned, if you need married quick and easy just get to Las Vegas,NV, and I can get you set-up with certificate in hand in an hour or so. It's a really easy process, and you can have everything you need in an hour. Very few places in the US can match the ease and quickness you can get married in Vegas. It is the " Marriage capital of the World".  Message me if you need more information, and I can send you my contact information.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.