4 posts in this topic

Hello, we have the interview coming up next week so I was looking through what we have to do if he gets approved/once he's here and we're married. So far I'm kind of confused. How do we go about getting his SS card/number? And which forms do I have to fill out for this process? I've been seeing a few different things, and it's been saying he has to go through a medical exam, interview, etc. Are we having to go through all that again but now in the US or am I looking at the wrong things? I also seen that we should have proof of joint bank account, lease, etc for these steps but my bank won't allow him to be added until he has a SS #, and we'll be living with family so no rental agreements. 

I was assuming the Adjustment of Status form (I-485), the Affidavit of support (I-864), the work one (I-765), and the travel one (I-131) we should be doing, but is the I-130 Petition for a Spouse another one we have to do? It seemed a lot like the I-129F that we've already been approved for, but for a spouse instead. Honestly if someone has a sort of outline of this part of the process after already having I-129F/NVC/interview approval for the K1, and having already arrived and gotten married in the US, it would be immensely helpful. Or to point out where I could get some accurate information. Starting to have a bit of a panic over it since my fiancé wants to move nearly as soon as he can should we get the interview approval, and I don't want to make any mistakes in the next part of this. 

Thank you for any help/insight on this! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband came here on a K1 Visa, and applied for his Social Security number the day after he arrived. He just needed his I-94 and it was approved immediately. He had his card within two weeks. No medical exam is required and you don't have to have a joint bank account or anything else. 

*** Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to AOS from K1 Visas forum ***

16 hours ago, NoMatterWhat said:

is the I-130 Petition for a Spouse another one we have to do?

I-130 is not required if you marry within 90 days of US entry, as per the terms of the K1 visa.  New medical in the US is not required if the K1 visa holder's DS-3025 worksheet is marked completed (ie. all required vaccinations completed on or prior to the visa medical) AND the I-485 package is filed within 1 year of the K1 visa medical date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.