busyybeee

Things to do while waiting for Greencard ---IR-1 Visa

5 posts in this topic

I will finally reunite with my husband after a week.  How long does Social Security card and green card take to arrive? Also, how soon before he can work, does he need a work permit? When can I put his name under my insurance? When can he open a bank account/credit card? When to apply for ID card? So many questions..... Thank you VJ family for always having answers 😀

My understading that your husband should receive a I-551 stamp in his passport. That authorizes him to work. As soon as he gets SSN he should be able to start. Not all employers may have seen I-551 stamp in the passport, however, meaning he will have to wait for his Green Card as a proof of work authorization.

As for banking, he should be able to open an account as soon as he gets SSN.

For credit card, because he doesn't have US credit history, he may need to apply for a secure credit card. Or if you have a good history, you can add him as authorized user until he accumulates enough history to apply under his name.

Can try applying for ID with I-551 stamp in his passport. People at DMV may know / not know what to do with it. Or wait for Green Card, which will make it easier.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You can apply for SS card as soon as he comes thru POE. Go to your local office and complete the SS-5 application I think it is ( Available on their website). You should see the card a few weeks after the office visit. He can work as soon as he arrives technically with the stamp in the passport, but some employers want you to have a SS number first, once again technically they don't need it to hire, they are only required to pay SS taxes and stuff quarterly, but most places want it for the on boarding process, unless he is a 1099 employee, then it doesn't matter. You can add him to your insurance as soon as he enter thru POE. Arriving on an immigrant visa to the US is a Life Change event with insurance companies, and you have 31 days from entry to add him. If they give you any flack about the SS number, tell them to put in a placeholder number until you can provide his SS number when you get it. Don't let them tell you otherwise, you don't need a SS number to add him to your insurance. Some banks will let you open an account without a SS number, some won't( when you apply for the SS card at the office, they give you a letter with the stamped date on it for proof you filed for a SS card. Sometimes banks and employers will let you roll with a copy of the letter showing you applied). Best to wait for the SS card in the mail before you mess with Banks, credit cards, and the State ID.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

6 hours ago, busyybeee said:

I will finally reunite with my husband after a week.  How long does Social Security card and green card take to arrive? Also, how soon before he can work, does he need a work permit? When can I put his name under my insurance? When can he open a bank account/credit card? When to apply for ID card? So many questions..... Thank you VJ family for always having answers 😀

From my experience here in NY, I had to wait 20 business days for immigration to process my SSN, but unfortunately after that they didn't so I had to apply at a SSA office, it took 1.5 weeks to arrive. For insurance (1199) ssn is required. As for bank account n state id, proof of address is required. I had to post a mail to myself (post marked mail), since I am new and don't have anything in my name (utility bill, lease, vehicle registration etc.). Bank of America is more flexible to open an account. After two weeks I applied for a credit card (secured one) because I don't have a credit history. All of the above was done with my temporary gc. My gc took 1.5 months after I arrived and was paid for before I entered the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.