sunflower4

I-485 is supposed to automatically register you for selective service, but I can't find my registration?

6 posts in this topic

My spouse filed the I-495 AOS to adjust from a K1 visa when he was 25. The form said

I understand that if I am a male who is 18 to 26 years of age,
submitting this application will automatically register me with
the Selective Service System as required by the Military
Selective Service Act.

So he expected to be automatically registered. But now he's 27 and we're getting ready to file the N-400 for citizenship, and it looks like that form requires your Selective Service registration info. I went on the official Selective Service website to look up his information with his name, birthday, and SSN, but it says it can't find him in the system. I also can't find any document we were mailed regarding the registration. 

I'm panicking now because it says if you didn't register before your 26th birthday, you are barred from citizenship, student aid, government jobs, and more, for the rest of your life. We're contacting a lawyer, but I have no idea what happened here.

Could it actually be the form tells you that you'll be automatically registered, and then they don't automatically register you? Anyone get the automatic registration and found info about it to put on the N-400?

Edit: I just remembered when he got his Maryland Driver's License, I think there was a question about signing up for Selective Service there too, and I'm pretty sure he answered "yes" to register. That should've been before his 27th birthday. But I still can't find his info on the Selective Service site?

Edited by shinysong
addl info

@shinysong I do not believe there is any "automatic" registration for selective service.

Correction: I found the wording on I-485 form. You could try arguing the spouse relied on this statement in the form...

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

its in there

Selective Service. Most males between 18 and 26 years of age are required by the Military Selective Service Act to register with the Selective Service System. Nonimmigrants are not required to register. If USCIS approves your application, we will send your name, current address, Social Security number, date of birth, and the date you filed the application to the Selective Service System for registration. Men can register at a local post office or at the website, www.sss.gov.

If USCIS does not approve your application, you are still required to register with the Selective Service System by using another means. If you have already registered, the Selective Service System will check its records to avoid any duplication. Acknowledgement of Selective Service.

Review the Selective Service Acknowledgement in Part 10. The purpose of this acknowledgement is to confirm that you understand USCIS will be sending your information to the Selective Service System for registration.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, shinysong said:

My spouse filed the I-495 AOS to adjust from a K1 visa when he was 25. The form said

So he expected to be automatically registered. But now he's 27 and we're getting ready to file the N-400 for citizenship, and it looks like that form requires your Selective Service registration info. I went on the official Selective Service website to look up his information with his name, birthday, and SSN, but it says it can't find him in the system.

1. Did he have an SSN at the time  he filed I-485?

2. If so, did he provide his SSN in his I-485?

3. Your timeline  says he entered the USA on a K-1. Was he under age 26 when he entered the U.S.?

4. Was he under age 26 90 days after he entered the U.S. on his K-1?

I also can't find any document we were mailed regarding the registration. 

I'm panicking now because it says if you didn't register before your 26th birthday, you are barred from citizenship, student aid, government jobs, and more, for the rest of your life.

False. Worse case he can apply for citizenship after he reaches age 31.  

However he can argue that he relied on the promise USCIS made in form I-485.  However we haven’t yet established he had to register or that he wasn’t registered. See my questions above. 

?Edit: I just remembered when he got his Maryland Driver's License, I think there was a question about signing up for Selective Service there too, and I'm pretty sure he answered "yes" to register. That should've been before his 27th birthday. But I still can't find his info on the Selective Service site?

If he was age 26 or older when he applied for his drivers license then it would have too late to register.  

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.