HashWad

Where to now?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

In other news, White House invited any Russian males attempting to flee to file for asylum in the United States.

However, there's a caveat, based on current USCIS policies: only those already within United States can apply for it.

But I always welcome corrections, if I miss something.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lynxyonok said:

In other news, White House invited any Russian males attempting to flee to file for asylum in the United States.

However, there's a caveat, based on current USCIS policies: only those already within United States can apply for it.

But I always welcome corrections, if I miss something.

Already - future entrants can as well.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Already - future entrants can as well.

Thank you. An excellent catch. I should have said:

Based on USCIS site, to apply for asylum, a Russian male has to make it to U.S. soil first.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, Lynxyonok said:

Thank you. An excellent catch. I should have said:

Based on USCIS site, to apply for asylum, a Russian male has to make it to U.S. soil first.

This may sound picky, I do not mean it to be so.

Asylum by definition is something you apply for in country. People outside are refugees. 

I have been of the view that most Russians would have a good case for asylum since this started, refugee status would be more complicated and less clear. Different definitions.

Now males likely to be conscripted and their families would seem to be a shoe in for asylum.

Quite what Joe has added to the situation saying this I do not know. Asylum is based on individual circumstances and up to USCIS, IJ's not the WH.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

This may sound picky, I do not mean it to be so.

Asylum by definition is something you apply for in country. People outside are refugees. 

I have been of the view that most Russians would have a good case for asylum since this started, refugee status would be more complicated and less clear. Different definitions.

Now males likely to be conscripted and their families would seem to be a shoe in for asylum.

Quite what Joe has added to the situation saying this I do not know. Asylum is based on individual circumstances and up to USCIS, IJ's not the WH.

I am very grateful for your correction. You were in the full right to be picky. That one tiny change may have impacted someone else's life choice for the worse in the future.

I'm reading all the Telegram chats, and my blood is freezing. All those people escaping through border check points would have to acquire local residency somehow before they can even attempt a Schengen or U.S. Visa of any kind. In the meantime, they are literally abandoning their personal cars just to cross the line sooner, only to run into sharply rising rents and blatant ads with a tint of human trafficking...

It's evacuation of White Crimea in November 1920 all over again.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lynxyonok said:

acquire local residency somehow before they can even attempt a Schengen or U.S. Visa of any kind.

This is actually something very concerning, as pretty much every external country (I was checking Turkey just for the heck of it, before even reading your comment) has some statement to the effect of "Third-country nationals legally present but not residing in Turkey, if the applicant provides adequate justification for lodging the application in Turkey." (From Spanish application center) or "Foreign nationals must prove that they have residence permit in Turkey." (Greek application center).

That's basically damning anyone who has fled and can't return to Russia for fear of conscription/incarceration, unless these centers/countries are going to fudge the rules a bit. I wonder for those couples or individuals who have already exited Russia, how on earth they are supposed to now get a Schengen visa to go to Poland. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Simplytex said:

This is actually something very concerning, as pretty much every external country (I was checking Turkey just for the heck of it, before even reading your comment) has some statement to the effect of "Third-country nationals legally present but not residing in Turkey, if the applicant provides adequate justification for lodging the application in Turkey." (From Spanish application center) or "Foreign nationals must prove that they have residence permit in Turkey." (Greek application center).

That's basically damning anyone who has fled and can't return to Russia for fear of conscription/incarceration, unless these centers/countries are going to fudge the rules a bit. I wonder for those couples or individuals who have already exited Russia, how on earth they are supposed to now get a Schengen visa to go to Poland. 

Precisely.

I have first come across this when researching alternate embassies to transfer a case to, noticing that a certain degree of residency was required for action. I'm sure each country is going to have its own rules, and not all groups are going to be treated alike. Yes, overall, it's going to be a bit damning. I imagine we're going to start seeing feedback from the first wave of September 2022 emigrants very soon.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
4 hours ago, Boiler said:

🗞️The results of fake referendum in the occupied parts of Ukraine:
#Luhansk Obl. - 98.42% in favor of joining Russia
#Donetsk Obl. - 99.23% in favor
#Zaporizhzhia Obl. - 93.11% in favor
#Kherson Obl. - 87.05% in favor

They should have asked me saved a bunch.

To lighten the mood, a favorite joke of Lukashenko (who only "won" 81% of his own vote):

Putin, Obama, and Lukashenko are in the same boat. They only have two oars. Obama says, "I'm the leader of the free world, I'm not going to row." Putin replies, "I am the leader of the biggest country, nor am I going to row." Lukashenko says, "ok, let's put it to a vote."

In half an hour, Putin and Obama find themselves rowing in the front of the boat while Lukashenko relaxes in the back. Putin says, "Barack, I've been thinking; we have only three people here, how did four vote for him?"

Edited by slavaskii

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.