my VAWA application has finally been approved

Yee-HAAAAA!  :dance: 

[Note to T-B.'s self:  Jokes worked again... jokes worked again... :P ]

3 hours ago, WhomJahBless said:

I was a man that was being abused by a woman

This does happen.

now I'm 27 and I feel like I can finally breathe

You're in the prime of your life with only better things ahead.

this is extremely long

It's not long -- it's complete, and very well-written, too.

get past this very tough time and make it on the other side in one piece

And this they will. 

Great, great post.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

11 hours ago, WhomJahBless said:

Hello Everyone! 

Happy Easter! (and to my Muslim and Jewish brothers and sisters Ramadan Mubarak and Chad Sameach respectively). It must've taken all 3 religious holidays to fall in the same time frame for me to finally have some good news about my case. I'm a March 2020 filer and after 37 months, my VAWA application has finally been approved as of this past Friday. 

With all thanks and glory going to God, I felt that I should post my story here because 1) it was not a simple VAWA case and 2) it will hopefully help someone who was in a situation like mine to be encouraged and know that it can happen for them too.

Most of you won't know me but I am a longer time lurker here. I first found this forum back in early 2019 after searching for help for my situation. In December 2018 I had fled my life in GA with my wife who was my college sweetheart and moved in with my family in FL after realizing that the emotional turmoil and abuse that I had with my wife would not change. I was lost and turned to this thread (which was VAWA Part 12 at the time!!) for guidance and assistance. The love I and others was shown was incredible and the advice and encouragement that the members of this site gave me the hope I needed to get through this long process. 

At first it seemed like a daunting challenge, the immigration system is incredibly complex and the thought of filing all this paperwork, gathering evidence etc seemed too much. I also had doubts after seeing stories about denials, RFEs and long wait times. However after reading through dozens and probably hundreds of forum pages I was able to understand the system a bit more and what was needed. I gathered every bit of evidence I could find and luckily was able to find a church organization that was able to take my case pro bono.

I went into this knowing that my case would probably be harder than most. First I was a man that was being abused by a woman, my own insecurities made me feel that maybe I was over reacting or not being "man enough" for putting up with her abuse. I felt like this for a while until counseling helped me understand that wasn't the case. Second, my case was based mostly on emotional abuse not physical. I did not have a lot of abuse evidence except for some abusive texts, and affidavits from my friends. I had heard that emotional abuse cases were generally harder and it was recommended that I get an evaluation, which I didn't have the money for at the time so I went without. Finally even though me and my wife were together pre-marriage for a number of years, we only actually spent a few months married in the same home before I left. A lot of the evidence I had happened while we were engaged as well which I was told the USCIS would not take into consideration as they look at evidence mostly after marriage. Knowing this I still decided to give it a shot and brought it up with my pro bono lawyer who assured me everything would be fine. 

I met my lawyer in early 2019 and my application was received by USCIS March 2020 and I immediately got a Prima Facie and started the process of waiting. I eventually got my work permit later that year and started working during the peak of COVID. Everything was generally fine except for a slight hiccup in 2021 when I forgot to renew my work permit before it expired. At this point I left my original lawyer because they were extremely unresponsive. Not only did it take almost a year from I gave over all my documents to them for them to file on my behalf, but they were extremely unresponsive. I would send emails, texts and leave phone calls and they would say that they did not receive them. I ended up being fed up and moved to a local legal aid company that took my case over from them. It was went smoother after that and my new lawyer was much more responsive and helpful with any questions I had. Everything went well until I received my first RFE in May of 2022. Another hiccup occurred when my RFE got sent to my previous lawyers address (which was no longer in practice) and not my current lawyer's.The process of correcting that added months with and RFE ticking in the background. Eventually it got fixed and I learned that USCIS had requested evidence of bonafide marriage and cohabitation. This was confusing to me because that was the evidence that I had provided the most of. I submitted to my original lawyer dozens of photos of me and my wife together, pictures of us with friends, and together. Pictures of us on trips, I sent lease documents and bank statements. Apparently, my original lawyer didn't submit any of that. I will probably never know the reason why but I may have been done with this a long time ago if it was done properly the first time. I sent the RFE evidence off in mid march and got the approval notice this past Friday. 

I started looking for help with my situation when I was 22 and now I'm 27 and I feel like I can finally breathe for the first time in years. I know that there's still the process of the adjustment of status to go through and then eventually citizenship one day but I feel like that most stressful days are finally past me. I know this is extremely long but I hope that someone can read this and become encouraged that despite the evidence they may or may not have or the issues they may have gone through with a lawyer that they can get past this very tough time and make it on the other side in one piece.

God bless you all and I look forward to updating you all with the rest of my journey and being update with yours!

Congratulations brother 🤲🏻 it felt like same case. December 2020 and lots of pf no rfe and still waiting. I hope I will also hear some news soon…

16 minutes ago, Ozy7 said:

Congratulations brother 🤲🏻 it felt like same case. December 2020 and lots of pf no rfe and still waiting. I hope I will also hear some news soon…

Keep hope and trust in God through Jesus-Christ and He never ever fails. 

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

@gramercy @sandranj 

As a Green card holder through VAWA, I will be eligible to file for naturalization on 05/02/2023. I am planning to do it through USCIS online portal. I have a couple of questions

1. I was filling out the form online, to have it ready, what is the qualification reason. As none of the reasons mentioned apply for a 3 year VAWA Rule

2. Are there any additional documents that I need to attach at the end? Like payslips / tax returns etc. As it says that any additional documents can speed up the case

appreciate if you can respond

9 hours ago, Desert Storm said:

@gramercy @sandranj 

As a Green card holder through VAWA, I will be eligible to file for naturalization on 05/02/2023. I am planning to do it through USCIS online portal. I have a couple of questions

1. I was filling out the form online, to have it ready, what is the qualification reason. As none of the reasons mentioned apply for a 3 year VAWA Rule

2. Are there any additional documents that I need to attach at the end? Like payslips / tax returns etc. As it says that any additional documents can speed up the case

appreciate if you can respond

Qualifications :

"Others: LPR via vawa for three years (INA 319(a))"

At the time of filing N-400, you only need to include 2 passport photos,copy front and back of your green card, and most recent marriage document.

for the full list of documents to bring to the interview, check N-400 Instructions.

(USCIS.gov website )

** your green card copy is the evidence of your vawa status and class of admission category.

Edited by Rhema1

On 4/6/2023 at 1:38 AM, Makanaki said:

I received the RFE and yes it’s somewhat ridiculously simple @TBoneTX

2 things they asked for which I kinda knew they were going to ask for one of them but was hoping the longevity and the issuance of my daughters GC will nullify it.

1) Police clearance from home country (expected). 

2) Evidence of termination of “1st marriage” (unexpected). I put this in quotation marks because we were never legally married, not even traditionally. But with the belief that we will and my naivety back then I bore his name and considered “his wife”. Not strange in my country mind you. I visited the US back then as “his wife”. But relationship ended with my mom rejecting “their hand” in marriage when they eventually sought for it. Years later remarried legally, had a child, turned south and legally divorced. In the box where they ask for how many marriages have you had, I clearly put 2.

In the RFE they had no issues with my divorce but stated I mentioned 2 marriages but was not forthcoming with my “1st marriage “ which is in my 2011 visiting visa.

Hmmm, if I said 2 right from the beginning, is that not mentioning?

Also, since the so called “1st marriage “ was never “legal” (in my country and as recognized on USCIS site there are 3 types of marriages that are recognized), I obviously cannot submit any “legal termination “ evidence. Do you think my personal statement on  circumstances surrounding this will suffice?

You can get a document of no impediment from your country. It's available at the office where marriages are registered 

3 hours ago, Gratefulone said:

I got an initial evidence for my I-485 (I360 approved February); could someone offer any suggestions what it might be while I wait for the notice.

medical deficiency letter if it wasn't submitted or expired.

If your status has been updated it's mostly the medical RFE 

Edited by Rhema1

@sandranj @Stillwinning!!!😊 @Rhema1

Hi all,

I got my Green card in December through VAWA, and I am working on submitting i-130 for my 2 children. I am confused on how to achieve this, and I will appreciate if you can guide me on this by answering these questions:

Can I start the application now (Just 3 months after my green card)

Where will I send the application to (NBC or Vermont)

What is the application fee per child (Children are aged 14 & 12)

What documents do I send with their application?

Do I need to fill in the affidavit of support for them (Form I-864)?

Please help me out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Wednesday means that it's time for our hilarious, tension-reducing Semiofficial Semiweekly VAWA-Thread Joke:

=============================================
ASKING DAD A QUESTION

A boy asked his father, "Dad, are bugs good to eat?"

"That's disgusting — don't talk about things like that over dinner," the dad replied.

After dinner, the father asked, "Now, son, what did you want to ask me?"

"Oh, nothing," the boy said.  "There was a bug in your soup, but now it's gone."

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.