Katya Chas

N400 - 5 year rule - Going through divorce

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi all! Thanks in advance for your advice. I’m prepping my N-400 application under the 5 year rule while my husband and I are going through divorce. At the time of my submission the divorce won’t be finalized. How should I describe my marital status? We are separated (not living together but it’s not a court ordered separation). Married? Separated? Certainly not yet divorced… Feeling confused. Thank you!

You are legally married until the minute the judge signs your final order/ decree. However, there is an argument if court mandated separation vs no court order separation is the same thing for n400. I am leaning towards its the same and should select separated since its also safer. Perhaps a good question for your lawyer, if you have one. Perhaps also a good idea to ask on Avvo.

However, I think it wont be a deal breaker with whichever you go, since 5 year rule is you solo and has no bearing on marriage / separation.

Just inform the officer before you sit down for the interview. Let them know you weren't entirely sure about this. He/ she will change it according to the way they prefer it with no penalty to you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
9 hours ago, Mobius1 said:

You are legally married until the minute the judge signs your final order/ decree. However, there is an argument if court mandated separation vs no court order separation is the same thing for n400. I am leaning towards its the same and should select separated since its also safer. Perhaps a good question for your lawyer, if you have one. Perhaps also a good idea to ask on Avvo.

However, I think it wont be a deal breaker with whichever you go, since 5 year rule is you solo and has no bearing on marriage / separation.

Just inform the officer before you sit down for the interview. Let them know you weren't entirely sure about this. He/ she will change it according to the way they prefer it with no penalty to you.

Super helpful. Thanks so much! 

Hi All,

Just came here to seek for advices from you guys as I am going through a similar situation as Katya Chas. I got my green card through marriage with a US citizen since Sept. 2015.  We are still living together in the same house but have been physically separated for 2.5 years. I'd never thought about applying for a US citizenship until recently. I'm planning to have a divorce soon.

Am I eligible to apply for a US citizenship while filing for a divorce? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, LanF said:

Hi All,

Just came here to seek for advices from you guys as I am going through a similar situation as Katya Chas. I got my green card through marriage with a US citizen since Sept. 2015.  We are still living together in the same house but have been physically separated for 2.5 years. I'd never thought about applying for a US citizenship until recently. I'm planning to have a divorce soon.

Am I eligible to apply for a US citizenship while filing for a divorce? 

Yes. The 5 year rule does not require the initiating marriage to still be in place. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.