Dantrolene

Mom inside the US. Her case is overseas ?? (merged)

30 posts in this topic

Quick question here 

On 9/15/2022 at 11:12 AM, Demise said:

It's been approved. The processing is a bit weird. The decision upon I-130 rests with USCIS no matter what, they approved it and the form remains theirs. They just forwarded the part of issuing the visa to the Department of State. The thing is that you can at any time take the case and have USCIS process an adjustment application regardless of whatever DOS is doing.

What you are referring to is what's known as the "90 day rule", which is a weird thing that DOS abides by and USCIS doesn't. USCIS will let her adjust just fine, but if she were to abandon the application and later try to seek an immigrant visa then DOS will do a lot of hand-wriggling and basically accusing her of immigration fraud. So yeah in this case, if she files for AOS she needs to stay in US at least until USCIS approved her I-131.

Yes, I-765 and I-131 for EAD and Advance Parole. They're free if filed with I-485 or while one is pending.

No, the approved I-130 doesn't have to have anything done with it. The correct thing to do would be to write to NVC that your mother will instead apply for AOS and to close the case they have going on over there, but this is more of a courtesy you'd give to the government so they won't waste an interview slot, it's not a hard requirement.

quick question here,  will I need to submit AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT form again with my mother's AOS package ? Or the one I sent with her I-130 form before is enough ? FYI her I-130 form is already approved while she was overseas. Now she is in the US and seeking AOS process. And I see in the AOS checklist is to submit affidavit of support form, so just check if I need to resend it..

5 minutes ago, OldUser said:

1 - check. Just make sure you have enough funds in the account and it's written clearly.

2 - anywhere if I am correct. But it needs to be from a provider USCIS recommends

3 - include everything together

quick question here for you if u know answer to,  will I need to submit AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT form again with my mother's AOS package ? Or the one I sent with her I-130 form before is enough ? FYI her I-130 form is already approved while she was overseas. Now she is in the US and seeking AOS process. And I see in the AOS checklist is to submit affidavit of support form, so just check if I need to resend it..

47 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

Quick question here 

quick question here,  will I need to submit AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT form again with my mother's AOS package ? Or the one I sent with her I-130 form before is enough ? FYI her I-130 form is already approved while she was overseas. Now she is in the US and seeking AOS process. And I see in the AOS checklist is to submit affidavit of support form, so just check if I need to resend it..

Yeah resend it.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

quick question here for you if u know answer to,  will I need to submit AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT form again with my mother's AOS package ? Or the one I sent with her I-130 form before is enough ? FYI her I-130 form is already approved while she was overseas. Now she is in the US and seeking AOS process. And I see in the AOS checklist is to submit affidavit of support form, so just check if I need to resend it..

I-864 is never submitted with the I-130.  It is submitted to the NVC during that stage of the consular visa process.

Now that you have switched to Adjustment of Status, you will need to submit the I-864 with the I-485.

*** Removed related thread.  Please post your related questions in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

25 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

So my mom's I-130 got approved while she was overseas and I was at old address in Washington. Now we are In Michigan and want to about to apply for AOS in few days.  We still have family home in Washington.  So, Is it better to stick with Washington address or request to move the case to Michigan ?  We got the medical examination done in Washington.  Processing time is faster in Michigan.  My understanding is that I need to fill a form to request address change if I'd like to, so can I send that form via mail too with AOS package or that form can be filed online ?

Just now, OldUser said:

@Dantrolene also remember to include fee free forms in your packet: I-131, I-765. You may think you may not need them now, but you never know. Plus they're free.

Will do. So my mom's I-130 got approved while she was overseas and I was at old address in Washington. Now we are In Michigan and want to about to apply for AOS in few days.  We still have family home in Washington.  So, Is it better to stick with Washington address or request to move the case to Michigan ?  We got the medical examination done in Washington.  Processing time is faster in Michigan.  My understanding is that I need to fill a form to request address change if I'd like to, so can I send that form via mail too with AOS package or that form can be filed online ?

2 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

Will do. So my mom's I-130 got approved while she was overseas and I was at old address in Washington. Now we are In Michigan and want to about to apply for AOS in few days.  We still have family home in Washington.  So, Is it better to stick with Washington address or request to move the case to Michigan ?  We got the medical examination done in Washington.  Processing time is faster in Michigan.  My understanding is that I need to fill a form to request address change if I'd like to, so can I send that form via mail too with AOS package or that form can be filed online ?

Don't pick the office by the processing times. They're not accurate at all.

Pick it based on where your mother will be physically living. She may be invited for biometrics, notices can sent to that address etc.

33 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

As previously, location of medical exam doesn't matter.  Is there any advantage to staying with Washington?  Do you intend to return there?

As Old User said, she will need to appear for biometrics, and if there is no one to receive your mail you will have problems sticking with Washington.

In my wife's case, USCIS sent everything to our "mailing address", while we were actually at a different "physical address".  I decided not to change it to avoid any delays.

I believe address can be changed online.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I-130 filed online:  July 8, 2022
I-485, 765 and 131 filed:  July 12, 2022
NOA1/I-797 received:  July 22, 2022
Biometrics appointment scheduled:  July 23, 2022

Biometrics appointment: August 11, 2022

EAD approved:  August 14, 2022

EAD returned to sender (USCIS):  August 31, 2022

EAD re-sent and delivered:  September 23, 2022

Approval of AOS:  October 11, 2022

Permanent Resident Status card received in the mail:  October 18, 2022

I-131 filed for Re-entry permit:  Nov 23, 2022

NOA1/I-797 for Re-entry permit:  Nov. 27, 2022

Submitted N-400 application for naturalization:  April 19, 2023

Naturalization interview:  July 31, 2023

Oath taking ceremony:  August 1, 2023

12 minutes ago, lovinglive said:

As previously, location of medical exam doesn't matter.  Is there any advantage to staying with Washington?  Do you intend to return there?

As Old User said, she will need to appear for biometrics, and if there is no one to receive your mail you will have problems sticking with Washington.

In my wife's case, USCIS sent everything to our "mailing address", while we were actually at a different "physical address".  I decided not to change it to avoid any delays.

I believe address can be changed online.   

Great to know. She is living between both Washington and Michigan. Can biometric be done anywhere? Or has it to be same uscis office we filed at ?   I hope it's convenient to attend at any office for biometric.  

For the interview depends on where she is, it's okay if she traveled to it once. 

6 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

Great to know. She is living between both Washington and Michigan. Can biometric be done anywhere? Or has it to be same uscis office we filed at ?   I hope it's convenient to attend at any office for biometric.  

For the interview depends on where she is, it's okay if she traveled to it once. 

The biometrics will be scheduled at a specific office that is linked to the address you use when you file.  Most of the forms ask for both a physical address and mailing address (which for most people would be the same).  In our case, my wife was invited for biometrics at our mailing address.

If you are in Michigan most of the time, if your mother's I-130 was already approved, I can't see any advantage to staying with the Washington address.  Your new forms will be a new process and I don't see how changing the address will make any difference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I-130 filed online:  July 8, 2022
I-485, 765 and 131 filed:  July 12, 2022
NOA1/I-797 received:  July 22, 2022
Biometrics appointment scheduled:  July 23, 2022

Biometrics appointment: August 11, 2022

EAD approved:  August 14, 2022

EAD returned to sender (USCIS):  August 31, 2022

EAD re-sent and delivered:  September 23, 2022

Approval of AOS:  October 11, 2022

Permanent Resident Status card received in the mail:  October 18, 2022

I-131 filed for Re-entry permit:  Nov 23, 2022

NOA1/I-797 for Re-entry permit:  Nov. 27, 2022

Submitted N-400 application for naturalization:  April 19, 2023

Naturalization interview:  July 31, 2023

Oath taking ceremony:  August 1, 2023

20 minutes ago, lovinglive said:

The biometrics will be scheduled at a specific office that is linked to the address you use when you file.  Most of the forms ask for both a physical address and mailing address (which for most people would be the same).  In our case, my wife was invited for biometrics at our mailing address.

If you are in Michigan most of the time, if your mother's I-130 was already approved, I can't see any advantage to staying with the Washington address.  Your new forms will be a new process and I don't see how changing the address will make any difference.

That makes sense. I'll keep it Michigan then and if she happens to be in Washington when we receive the biometrics notice. I'll have her travel to Michigan for her biometrics. Hopefully they give enough notice for biometrics appt. so we can arrange traveling etc. 

• Ontarkie changed the title to Mom inside the US. Her case is overseas ?? (merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related questions merged. Please keep related questions in one thread. It helps when all the information is together.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

@Dantrolene 

39 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

That makes sense. I'll keep it Michigan then and if she happens to be in Washington when we receive the biometrics notice. I'll have her travel to Michigan for her biometrics. Hopefully they give enough notice for biometrics appt. so we can arrange traveling etc. 

Great! For anybody in similar situation think of these things:

- Where would the immigrant be getting their state ID / driver's license?

- Where would they be seeing their dentist / doctor?

- Where would they be filing taxes once they become LPR?

- Which airport are they going to use to fly domestically and internationally the most?

These and some more questions will help determining which address to use if you have multiple places you spend your time at.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.