kaycome

What Are Top Skills I Need To Learn Before Leaving For USA?

6 posts in this topic

Though i am educated but what i have come to understand is that in our world today, most especially in the United States of America, learning a skill is very Very important and you can can never go broke or jobless if you have certain skills in the United States of America

can you advice which IT skills i can acquire before immigrating to USA.  My wife just petitioned I-130 for me. Your suggestions are welcome

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My wife is going through something similar right now, she was a Portuguese Teacher in Brazil and just landed a position at Amazon as a "Machine Learning Data Linguist" for various foreign languages that she speaks. It all started when she said she wanted to keep using her Master's degree in linguistics and keep using her native language (But she didn't want to continue being a teacher) and that's when she found out about Natural Language Processing (NLP), which would mix IT and her Linguistic Background. At first, she started studying how to code with Python and signed up on Coursera to take the "Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate" course, but decided she wanted to work more with language itself and not a ton of technical stuff yet. 

I'd recommend for anybody on here (Since almost everybody is from a different country, and they know a language(s) other than English) to use this to their advantage! Find a niche field that requires you to be proficient in the language you know and work towards that. For example, their are many Data analyst positions in the US, but some require you to collect, organize, sort, etc. data in a different language, that's where you come in! And if you have zero experience or don't have any technical skills at all, you can take those Google Professional Certificates on Coursera to get you started and put on your resume. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Following are top 10 best IT jobs

some may require the person to be a USC so be care of that criteria for security reasons

look up the job and what college teaches the degree and the courses to study 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/101315/10-best-tech-jobs.asp

and i totally agree with Carlos Brazil as Americans are lacking in foreign language skills 

Here i hear Americans say ""why should i study Spanish (example)  this is America ,  we speak English"

We are in a global economy and knowing as many languages as possible should be a must

1 hour ago, Carlos.Brazil said:

My wife is going through something similar right now, she was a Portuguese Teacher in Brazil and just landed a position at Amazon as a "Machine Learning Data Linguist" for various foreign languages that she speaks. It all started when she said she wanted to keep using her Master's degree in linguistics and keep using her native language (But she didn't want to continue being a teacher) and that's when she found out about Natural Language Processing (NLP), which would mix IT and her Linguistic Background. At first, she started studying how to code with Python and signed up on Coursera to take the "Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate" course, but decided she wanted to work more with language itself and not a ton of technical stuff yet. 

I'd recommend for anybody on here (Since almost everybody is from a different country, and they know a language(s) other than English) to use this to their advantage! Find a niche field that requires you to be proficient in the language you know and work towards that. For example, their are many Data analyst positions in the US, but some require you to collect, organize, sort, etc. data in a different language, that's where you come in! And if you have zero experience or don't have any technical skills at all, you can take those Google Professional Certificates on Coursera to get you started and put on your resume. 

I like this

56 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Following are top 10 best IT jobs

some may require the person to be a USC so be care of that criteria for security reasons

look up the job and what college teaches the degree and the courses to study 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/101315/10-best-tech-jobs.asp

and i totally agree with Carlos Brazil as Americans are lacking in foreign language skills 

Here i hear Americans say ""why should i study Spanish (example)  this is America ,  we speak English"

We are in a global economy and knowing as many languages as possible should be a must

Awesome

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 9/14/2022 at 4:52 AM, kaycome said:

Though i am educated but what i have come to understand is that in our world today, most especially in the United States of America, learning a skill is very Very important and you can can never go broke or jobless if you have certain skills in the United States of America

can you advice which IT skills i can acquire before immigrating to USA.  My wife just petitioned I-130 for me. Your suggestions are welcome

kaycome,

when you ask about IT skills are you referring to general IT skills, applicable to most other professions, or IT skills related to IT functions (Software Engineering, Programming, Network etc.)? If you are asking general IT skills, depending on your profession, I would recommend advanced Excel. I work in Accounting/Finance and it's not easy to find people that have advanced Excel skills. I would also recommend SQL to understand how databases work and how you can extract and analyze data. If you want to add even more to your resume, I would suggest to learn a good BI tool, e.g. Tableau. It's a powerful tool that not many people know how to use it and it can help you get a job fairly quickly.

Joster

1 hour ago, jostermacedo said:

kaycome,

when you ask about IT skills are you referring to general IT skills, applicable to most other professions, or IT skills related to IT functions (Software Engineering, Programming, Network etc.)? If you are asking general IT skills, depending on your profession, I would recommend advanced Excel. I work in Accounting/Finance and it's not easy to find people that have advanced Excel skills. I would also recommend SQL to understand how databases work and how you can extract and analyze data. If you want to add even more to your resume, I would suggest to learn a good BI tool, e.g. Tableau. It's a powerful tool that not many people know how to use it and it can help you get a job fairly quickly.

Joster

Thank you for your input. I'm looking going i to cybersecurity. What do you think?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.