Zack202

Vaccine Requirements 2022

17 posts in this topic

Can anyone confirm what vaccinations are required for an adult between 18-64 for immigration into the US? And if I am missing any vaccination, will I be offered this at my medical appointment?

According to the Travel Gov State website the following vaccines are required for immigration purposes:

• Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Influenza
  • Influenza type b (Hib)
  • Measles
  • Meningococcal
  • Mumps
  • Pneumococcal
  • Pertussis
  • Polio
  • Rotavirus
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids
  • Varicella

They provided this chart to showcase which vaccination applies for which age groups. However it is not clear how up to date this information is. It looks like it's from 2015.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

CDC website would have the current requirements.

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/laws-regs/vaccination-immigration/revised-vaccination-immigration-faq.html

During the medical, they can run a test on you.  I believe it's called Titer testing.

14 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

They have the shots available at the clinic in London. You can check their prices here  https://visamedicals.co.uk/united-states/  Scroll down to find shot prices.

Here are the shots needed for 19 through 59 years of age:

• Td or Tdap - Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis or get DT, DTP or DtaP and it will be accepted. The latest shot must be no longer than 10 years ago or you need a booster. In the UK they will give Revaxis which is Tetanus/diphtheria +polio. Adults don’t need polio for immigration but that’s the combo available in the UK. They don’t have a Tetanus and diphtheria only jab like Adacel given in the US.  
  • MMR - (if born in 1957 or later)-Mumps/measles/rubella.  It's two doses in your life, but if you get the first dose, and 4 weeks haven't passed by your medical, they will waive the second dose for "insufficient time interval". If you only had one dose as a child, get a second one before the medical.
  • Varicella - Not routinely given in the UK. A history of having chickenpox excuses you from the shot. They take your word for it at the visa medical exam. They will also waive the shot in the UK for "not routinely available". 
  • Influenza - Required during flu season only, October 1 through March 31.  If your medical is not during flu season, you don't need it. 
  • Hepatitis B - required for all applicants up to 59 years old. 
  • COVID-19 vaccine - Completely vaccinated with the primary doses. (Boosters have not been added to the requirement yet).

Thank you, that's very useful information. Just in regards. to Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis; I have never had pertussis in my vaccine. I only ever had Tetanus/diphtheria +polio combo. (as you say, this is all that's available in UK). Is this an issue?

Furthermore, all my vaccination records are just a print-out of my gp records. I don't have such a thing as a 'vaccination certificate'. I also have a International Certificate of Vaccination yellow booklet (ICVP). Do you think this is sufficient? I asked my GP for my vaccination records and they just printed out what I already had, so not sure what to do.

6 hours ago, Zack202 said:

Thank you, that's very useful information. Just in regards. to Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis; I have never had pertussis in my vaccine. I only ever had Tetanus/diphtheria +polio combo. (as you say, this is all that's available in UK). Is this an issue?

Furthermore, all my vaccination records are just a print-out of my gp records. I don't have such a thing as a 'vaccination certificate'. I also have a International Certificate of Vaccination yellow booklet (ICVP). Do you think this is sufficient? I asked my GP for my vaccination records and they just printed out what I already had, so not sure what to do.

Td (tetanus/diphteria) is fine as well - you do not need pertussis. 

The yellow booklet is definitely sufficient. I'm German and did not have any other documentation either. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
7 hours ago, Zack202 said:

A print out from your GP is fine. That’s what most people take these days.Take the yellow book too. Mine was hand written by the nurse and she signed it and wrote the name/address of the practice. They will work with most anything.

Concerning Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis: 

They have that in the UK for children. I believe they tack on polio with the baby shots too. Child doses are stronger and indicated by upper case letters. Look for DTP or DTaP (and polio) In your records from when you were young. It was found that adults and kids 10 yrs to teens sometimes had a reaction to DTP or DT so a weaker version was developed and is used in the US for adults. Td (strong tetanus, weaker diphtheria) and Tdap (strong tetanus, weaker diphtheria and pertussis). NHS doesn’t supply those same adult combinations, but you can get the T and d along with polio.  I have noticed that the London clinic gives the Td +polio (Revaxis) and calls it a day without worrying about pertussis. As long as they sign off, you are fine for your visa and greencard. 

11 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

A print out from your GP is fine. That’s what most people take these days.Take the yellow book too. Mine was hand written by the nurse and she signed it and wrote the name/address of the practice. They will work with most anything.

Concerning Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis: 

They have that in the UK for children. I believe they tack on polio with the baby shots too. Child doses are stronger and indicated by upper case letters. Look for DTP or DTaP (and polio) In your records from when you were young. It was found that adults and kids 10 yrs to teens sometimes had a reaction to DTP or DT so a weaker version was developed and is used in the US for adults. Td (strong tetanus, weaker diphtheria) and Tdap (strong tetanus, weaker diphtheria and pertussis). NHS doesn’t supply those same adult combinations, but you can get the T and d along with polio.  I have noticed that the London clinic gives the Td +polio (Revaxis) and calls it a day without worrying about pertussis. As long as they sign off, you are fine for your visa and greencard. 

Thank you!

Hi :) 

sorry to bud in but I have a question about the vaccinations.

I have a doctors appoitment tomorrow. (Not the medical exam just a check up with my regualr doctor)

Is it advisable to get most of the vaccines tomorrow? Or should I wait for the medical (not sure when it will be, but we'll hopefully start DCF soon)

Sorry again and thanks in advance

Inx 

DCF Frankfurt

• September 13, 2022: Contacted US Consulate in Frankfurt with copy of offer from petitioners work
  • September 14, 2022: Consulate writes back and asks for copy of petitioners’ residence permit. Response sent same day. 
  • September 15, 2022: Consulate chooses to accept I-130 petition (consular filing)
  • September 19, 2022: I-130 application sent to consulate
  • September 29, 2022: I-130 application approved by consulate. Second package of documents requested
  • October 5, 2022: Doctor’s appointment in Munich
  • October 10, 2022: Sent package 3 of documents to consulate in Frankfurt 
  • October 20, 2022: Received feedback from consulate about scheduling an interview. Request for interview submitted. 
  • October 23, 2022: Appointment made for November 1st at 8:00 AM
  • November 1, 2022:  Interview appointment in Frankfurt
  • November 2, 2022: Received UPS update that visa got dropped of
  • November 3, 2022: VISA IN HAND! 🥳🥳

18 minutes ago, Inx said:

Hi :) 

sorry to bud in but I have a question about the vaccinations.

I have a doctors appoitment tomorrow. (Not the medical exam just a check up with my regualr doctor)

Is it advisable to get most of the vaccines tomorrow? Or should I wait for the medical (not sure when it will be, but we'll hopefully start DCF soon)

Sorry again and thanks in advance

Inx 

They usually require you to have an appointment beforehand. I had to space out my vaccinations (because I had to get them ALL because I came to the UK at 19 and my mother had since lost the records from my home country). If you can, call in and ask if you can, because the nurse administers them, not the doctor.

2 minutes ago, TeeKay11 said:

They usually require you to have an appointment beforehand. I had to space out my vaccinations (because I had to get them ALL because I came to the UK at 19 and my mother had since lost the records from my home country). If you can, call in and ask if you can, because the nurse administers them, not the doctor.

Thanks for your reply! 

So that means you got all of them at the same time? 

I checked my records and I require quite a lot of them. I was scared that it's not possible to get them all at once. 

To know that would be a huge help!

If I'm not able to get them all tomorrow I will call the doctor when I have the appointment for the actual medical exam :)

Thanks 

DCF Frankfurt

• September 13, 2022: Contacted US Consulate in Frankfurt with copy of offer from petitioners work
  • September 14, 2022: Consulate writes back and asks for copy of petitioners’ residence permit. Response sent same day. 
  • September 15, 2022: Consulate chooses to accept I-130 petition (consular filing)
  • September 29, 2022: I-130 application approved by consulate. Second package of documents requested
  • October 20, 2022: Received feedback from consulate about scheduling an interview. Request for interview submitted. 

Just now, Inx said:

Thanks for your reply! 

So that means you got all of them at the same time? 

I checked my records and I require quite a lot of them. I was scared that it's not possible to get them all at once. 

To know that would be a huge help!

If I'm not able to get them all tomorrow I will call the doctor when I have the appointment for the actual medical exam :)

Thanks 

I've just seen you're in Germany, I'm in the UK. So maybe different.. But some require two doses (MMR), while TDap was only one shot. Then I also had to slot in my Covid shots (I had been avoiding it, silly, I know). So basically since March I had a shot every 3 to 4 weeks.

But the TDap and 1st MMR I got together then after 4 weeks, got my 1st Covid. 3 weeks after that I went in for 2nd MMR, then after 3 weeks I got my 2nd Covid one. I just realised I need Hep B today when I read this thread 🤦🏾‍♀️, so I called my GP and they made an appointment to see the nurse on Wednesday to get it.

I am trying to avoid paying for them at the medical, because I can get them for free through a nurse at my local GP..

But, considering that at the medical you pay to get the ones you don't have, then I suppose you could get them all done at once. It's only just for me? They started as though I'd never had a single shot, for the sake of having my records ready for my medical.

2 minutes ago, TeeKay11 said:

I've just seen you're in Germany, I'm in the UK. So maybe different.. But some require two doses (MMR), while TDap was only one shot. Then I also had to slot in my Covid shots (I had been avoiding it, silly, I know). So basically since March I had a shot every 3 to 4 weeks.

But the TDap and 1st MMR I got together then after 4 weeks, got my 1st Covid. 3 weeks after that I went in for 2nd MMR, then after 3 weeks I got my 2nd Covid one. I just realised I need Hep B today when I read this thread 🤦🏾‍♀️, so I called my GP and they made an appointment to see the nurse on Wednesday to get it.

I am trying to avoid paying for them at the medical, because I can get them for free through a nurse at my local GP..

But, considering that at the medical you pay to get the ones you don't have, then I suppose you could get them all done at once. It's only just for me? They started as though I'd never had a single shot, for the sake of having my records ready for my medical.

That's a huge help. Thanks! Glad you realized that you need another appointment!

Sounds stressful! How's your body handling it?

I guess my situation is a bit different.

I need some booster vaccinations e.g polio,tetanus,diphtheria/petussis (which were a combined shot when I got them). Plus a few more. 

I guess I'll ask the doctor tomorrow.

I think I've read somewhere that if you have the first shot of every vaccine than it's fine.

DCF Frankfurt

2 minutes ago, Inx said:

That's a huge help. Thanks! Glad you realized that you need another appointment!

Sounds stressful! How's your body handling it?

I guess my situation is a bit different.

I need some booster vaccinations e.g polio,tetanus,diphtheria/petussis (which were a combined shot when I got them). Plus a few more. 

I guess I'll ask the doctor tomorrow.

I think I've read somewhere that if you have the first shot of every vaccine than it's fine.

I've just seen that now about needing only the 1st shot. Its true. I just happened to have the time to run around 😂 Plus I'm a cheapskate so I didn't want to get Stateside and pay for something I could've gotten for free in the UK 😂

Yeah talk to your doctor and get your boosters.

Mind you, I made an appointment for my Varicella shot back in April for June. When June came, they told me I couldn't have it because apparently that's the same shot they're using for Monkeypox 🤷🏾‍♀️.

I have an issue in itself because I booked my medical before I got DQ because I was soo positive I'll get DQ before my medical...

Now my medical is 18days away 🙆🏾‍♀️🙆🏾‍♀️ But you know what they say: Do as I say not as I do 😂

This immigration journey is one full of twists and turns, (and money too!)

I wish you the very best. Did you say you and yours are doing DCF?

4 minutes ago, TeeKay11 said:

I've just seen that now about needing only the 1st shot. Its true. I just happened to have the time to run around 😂 Plus I'm a cheapskate so I didn't want to get Stateside and pay for something I could've gotten for free in the UK 😂

Yeah talk to your doctor and get your boosters.

Mind you, I made an appointment for my Varicella shot back in April for June. When June came, they told me I couldn't have it because apparently that's the same shot they're using for Monkeypox 🤷🏾‍♀️.

I have an issue in itself because I booked my medical before I got DQ because I was soo positive I'll get DQ before my medical...

Now my medical is 18days away 🙆🏾‍♀️🙆🏾‍♀️ But you know what they say: Do as I say not as I do 😂

This immigration journey is one full of twists and turns, (and money too!)

I wish you the very best. Did you say you and yours are doing DCF?

I acutally need a few more then the mixed shot but I guess everything is going to work out :D 

I would probably do the same!  

We'll send the request for DCF tonight or tomorrow. So we're hoping to do DCF

All the best for you too everithing is going to work out! and thanks again!

Edited by Inx

DCF Frankfurt

1 hour ago, Inx said:

I acutally need a few more then the mixed shot but I guess everything is going to work out :D 

I would probably do the same!  

We'll send the request for DCF tonight or tomorrow. So we're hoping to do DCF

All the best for you too everithing is going to work out! and thanks again!

Re varicella: The doctor in Frankfurt just asked me if I had chickenpox in the past and did not require a titer as proof. So I could've saved the 100 EUR ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.