EllisAndRenz

Adventure in travel to Philippines

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yeah, she failed to get her passport changed, so I may have to buy her a new ticket home.  

Edited by EllisAndRenz

On 9/8/2022 at 4:26 PM, EllisAndRenz said:

Yeah, she failed to get her passport changed, so I may have to buy her a new ticket home.  

Well the one way to see is to try and come back to the USA. You will then know not to do this on your next trip back to Pinas

Timeline
2 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Well the one way to see is to try and come back to the USA. You will then know not to do this on your next trip back to Pinas

For sure.  But we should have her passport corrected by then as well.  

She has no wiggle room on the timing of the trip home.  If she doesn't get on the flight it affects her job.  That's the dilemma I'm in now.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

So she was able to get home.  I bought her a new ticket in her maiden name.  Then, Philippine immigration gave her a hard time at departure because her green card didn't match.  After some back-and-forth they let her proceed.  She got to Asiana and they were basically "So long as you have something with your name on it, we are fine with you flying."  So a waste of $1400, but it is what it is.  She's home.  I'm happy. 

7 hours ago, EllisAndRenz said:

So she was able to get home.  I bought her a new ticket in her maiden name.  Then, Philippine immigration gave her a hard time at departure because her green card didn't match.  After some back-and-forth they let her proceed.  She got to Asiana and they were basically "So long as you have something with your name on it, we are fine with you flying."  So a waste of $1400, but it is what it is.  She's home.  I'm happy. 

That is kinda what I figured was gonna happen, Thanks for the update

Did she have to go to the room behind the Immigration and wait there while they sorted it all out at the airport?

Timeline
2 hours ago, Palawan said:

That is kinda what I figured was gonna happen, Thanks for the update

Did she have to go to the room behind the Immigration and wait there while they sorted it all out at the airport?

Well, it was opposite what I expected to happen.  

I was worried with her married name on the ticket and her maiden name on the passport, she'd have a hard time boarding the plane.  (On the trip down, Philippine air rejected her, but Asiana had absolutely no problem flying her.). She was flying home on Asiana, but since she was in a different airport, I didn't want to take a chance.  That's why I paid $1,400 more to get her a ticket home.  (This time on Japan airlines)

But this created sort of the opposite problem.  Philippine Immigration now gave her a hard time because her green card was in her married name and the ticket was in her maiden name.  They sort of implied she wasn't cleared to come to the USA, and asked her if she'd ever been there.  My wife went into beast mode and told them "I live in the USA, do you think they mailed my green card to Manila?"  They then asked her if she was OFW which pissed my wife off even more.  No, they didn't take her to a back room, but they may have felt she was about to murder them at that time.  They finally cleared her passed.  

Then she got to Japan airlines and they looked at her passport, and ticket and green card.  The boarding agent did ask "Why is your green card different name?"   She told them the story and how she bought another ticket.  The agent said "Oh, so long as you have all three documents, we are fine boarding you, I mean it's common sense, right?"  (facepalm).  

So glad Japan airlines has agents that can think for themselves.  I'd rather have my $1,400 back but it was cheap insurance I guess.

EDIT: Correction:  She flew there on Asiana airlines.  She flew home on Japan Airlines.  

Edited by EllisAndRenz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.