Foreverforeign

Work visa while CR1 pending

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Maldives
Timeline

Me(citizen) and my wife(foreigner) are currently going thru CR-1 process and waiting on i-130. She has just been offered a job in the US by an employer willing to sponsor a work visa. How does getting a work visa effect the CR-1 process? What happens when i-130 is approved? Would she need to leave the country even if she has a work visa?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A lot of this depends on the work visa involved, there are many variants 

So which one?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

H1b is dual intent so a couple of options

Go back for the immigrant interview

File to adjust status in country

Just gives you another option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Boiler said:

H1b is dual intent so a couple of options

Go back for the immigrant interview

File to adjust status in country

Just gives you another option.

So if I understand this correctly, we could continue on with CR-1 in parallel while she works in the US or we could file to adjust while she is on the work visa. How would the latter work?

Timeline

The Guides go into detail but essentially you file a I 485

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Note that H1B is a lottery system, Since the H1B cap has already been reached for 2022, the soonest the employer can enter her into the lottery in April 2023.

Edited by Bajinga

Timeline
1 minute ago, Bajinga said:

Note that H1B is a lottery system, Since the H1B cap has already been reached for 2022, the soonest they can enter her into the lottery in April 2022.

There is cap and non cap so yes some are subject to the lottery.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

correct, Universities and related nonprofit entities, nonprofit research organizations and government research organizations are cap exempt. OP if the employer is any of those my above comment might not apply 

Edited by Bajinga

Timeline
Just now, Bajinga said:

correct, Universities and related nonprofit entities, nonprofit research organizations and government research organizations are cap exempt. OP if the employer is any of those my above comment does not apply 

7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

She would be a working for a government research organization so I am assuming the cap would not apply in this case. 

Timeline

Probably not but good to ask.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Foreverforeign said:

She would be a working for a government research organization so I am assuming the cap would not apply in this case. 

she should confirm that with the employers immigration Lawyers, they will know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.