Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,186 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Tiabeanie said:

Had my EB3 visa interview today, I thought it went well, I was given a 221g administrative processing paper despite submitting all the required documents. They kept my passport. On average how long has folks waited for a response for them to send back your passport?

As you will be able to see for yourself in the thread linked in the previous post, there has been an abnormally high number of EB cases  (and from other categories as well) getting AP'ed. Some of it is supposed to be due to the backlog in the usual background check that officers are supposed to have the answer of before the interview with the applicant. They don't get that answer in time or they themselves hadn't had enough time to study the case, so they use AP as a cover to buy themselves more time.

I wondered if sb could get a list of how many EB applicants in the EB Google sheet have been AP'ed. Or more precisely how many people have announced here in this thread that they got AP'ed.

1 hour ago, Characteristicall said:

Hi @Tiabeanie , sorry to hear!  Each case is different, so each timeline will be different. I know you asked for the average timeline, perhaps some other person with better statistics knowledge can provide it. May I ask what the 212g paperwork asks for? I mean what documents/information are you asked to provide other than the required documents? Thanks, and good luck friend. 

These are the two sheets of paper I got from the officer this afternoon. I wasn't told to submit any other documents as I brought all that was required to the interview. 19459351_20221031_1406472.thumb.jpg.da569ffdd1a3aeb815b73ee510702d75.jpgScreenshot_20221031-171518_Photos.thumb.jpg.598e537131a9a49b254eb6c308a23f9d.jpg

Edited by Tiabeanie

Timeline
3 hours ago, sszc73 said:

Hi, we received our request for interview (EB2) and re trying to play/prepare for it - do they take the passport  and keep it? If so, how long does it usually take to get it back?

Congrats sszc73, would you mind adding your information to the tracker!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14yZKxht6igwJPXPU0EehKmmN2hx1g3EchEuB5G0yNO4/edit#gid=0

2 minutes ago, Tiabeanie said:

These are the two sheets of paper I got from the officer this afternoon 19459351_20221031_1406472.thumb.jpg.da569ffdd1a3aeb815b73ee510702d75.jpgScreenshot_20221031-171518_Photos.thumb.jpg.598e537131a9a49b254eb6c308a23f9d.jpg

Not an expert here, but this looks better than getting directly a DS-5535. Could this be an example of an internal review at the consulate? Meaning the case won't be sent to Washington for administrative processing (which takes much longer). I am recalling a conversation on this podcast by a former consular officer, that mentioned the two types of refusal. From the transcript:

"In a discretionary situation ‘at post,’ the consular officer will issue a 221(g) provisional refusal to buy time for further review. In this situation, the applicant has achieved statutory approval, but the officer would like to collect additional information or documentation. These cases are usually resolved quickly."

2 hours ago, Tiabeanie said:

These are the two sheets of paper I got from the officer this afternoon. I wasn't told to submit any other documents as I brought all that was required to the interview. 19459351_20221031_1406472.thumb.jpg.da569ffdd1a3aeb815b73ee510702d75.jpgScreenshot_20221031-171518_Photos.thumb.jpg.598e537131a9a49b254eb6c308a23f9d.jpg

We received the same refusal paperwork when we were put on administrative processing. The only difference is that in our 221g remarks section for the refusal notice, it requested us to submit additional questionnaire (DS-5535) that will be sent via email. The good news is that the officer did not state that in your remarks section, so hopefully you will not be put on DS-5535. In my opinion, it seems like a general admin processing which should get resolved fairly quicky.. Keep us posted. Good luck!

On 10/27/2022 at 7:41 PM, farzady said:

@topman Did your case approved?

Nope, it was put on admin processing (DS-5535).. here is my interview experience comment. 

On 9/30/2022 at 12:19 PM, topman said:

Thanks, everyone for the best wishing on our interview. Our interview went alright but unfortunately, we received administrative processing for additional supplemental questions (DS 5535) that needed to be answered. We have responded via email by answering the last 15 years of employment, address, travel history, etc.

While researching on DS 5535, there is no apparent rhyme or reason on why folks receive this check but certainly, individuals having a middle eastern background or from higher security risk countries have a greater probability of getting a DS 5535. There is a separate thread on this forum, especially for individuals waiting on a response from the Montreal consulate after getting a DS 5535. It could take anywhere from 60 to 300+ days to get a response on administrative processing. I’m really hoping it is not another year of waiting to clear administrative processing.

@VA21202, The interview process is exactly like what everyone has already discussed on this thread. However, a few days before my interview, I reviewed 200+ pages of this thread and compiled a comprehensive list of interview questions that were ever asked by MTL. I’ve now added this list of all the interview questions to the EB tracker spreadsheet (interview question tab). The interview questions that were asked by the officer were already in this list. Hopefully, this will help you & others prepare for their interviews.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14yZKxht6igwJPXPU0EehKmmN2hx1g3EchEuB5G0yNO4/edit#gid=1282955452

One additional tip that I can share is to have your resume and unofficial college transcripts printed out along with the requested documents. I did not get asked for these two documents during my interview but I had read that this can be requested by the consular officer for EB cases.

Good luck with the upcoming interviews, and thanks so much for this support group for helping each other out! I couldn’t have waited this long without you all. 

1 minute ago, farzady said:

Thanks for the update, the reason that I asked I saw on the tracker said your case approved.

Oh, Gotcha. I'm not sure who updated it to be approved in the tracker, which is definitely incorrect status. I'll try to update the status on the tracker tomorrow to "Administrative processing" 

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, F2J_March said:

@farzady: did you get anything yet since your status was changed to READY??

No, nothing yet. Mine status back to NVC. Also, I contacted NVC on Oct and I received their auto reply today and is saying I’ll get an IL when its my turn. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.