ontheway

Naturalized Citizen Remarried filing Cr-1 for new overseas spouse

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Greetings, 

I came to America on an F1 visa. I became a naturalized USC in 2015 via marriage to a USC. I was married to her for 13 years. Got married in 2009, divorced in May of 2022. We have a 12 year old together. We had a life and a home but it all came to an abrupt end as soon as the house was paid off. She filed. No reason given, amicably parted ways. I walked out of that door and left everything for her. Gladly I am very gainfully employed and it didn't take more than a couple of weeks for me to get back on my feet. After my divorce was finalized early May of 2022, I opted for a traditional arraigned marriage in Pakistan, since I am now by myself, nobody to lean on. My family was quick to find a very suitable match for me, we developed a good understanding of each other rather swiftly and we were married in Pakistan in a traditional ceremony, in late July 2022. 

I would like to know, if getting remarried two months after my divorce and filing an immigration petition for a foreign spouse cause a major problem. Any other red flags or potential hurdles? This is going to take 2 years or more. We are prepared for that. I will be visiting her at the very least three times a year, for a week each time, that's all the time off I can get from work. At the time of my divorce and remarriage, I had been a USC for 7 years, so this isn't a pre-planned thing, I wasn't even expecting it. 

Any help or opinions in this matter will be appreciated. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 minutes ago, ontheway said:

Greetings, 

I came to America on an F1 visa. I became a naturalized USC in 2015 via marriage to a USC. I was married to her for 13 years. Got married in 2009, divorced in May of 2022. We have a 12 year old together. We had a life and a home but it all came to an abrupt end as soon as the house was paid off. She filed. No reason given, amicably parted ways. I walked out of that door and left everything for her. Gladly I am very gainfully employed and it didn't take more than a couple of weeks for me to get back on my feet. After my divorce was finalized early May of 2022, I opted for a traditional arraigned marriage in Pakistan, since I am now by myself, nobody to lean on. My family was quick to find a very suitable match for me, we developed a good understanding of each other rather swiftly and we were married in Pakistan in a traditional ceremony, in late July 2022. 

I would like to know, if getting remarried two months after my divorce and filing an immigration petition for a foreign spouse cause a major problem. Any other red flags or potential hurdles? This is going to take 2 years or more. We are prepared for that. I will be visiting her at the very least three times a year, for a week each time, that's all the time off I can get from work. At the time of my divorce and remarriage, I had been a USC for 7 years, so this isn't a pre-planned thing, I wasn't even expecting it. 

Always difficult to some extent from Pakistan but nothing about your history would make it worse.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

As long as there is no overlap, you are fine.

Some people spend years separated and others years in divorce proceedings before it is concluded.

They date on the divorce decree is not the date the actual relationship ended. That is sometimes months or years prior.

The date on the decree is just paperwork catching up. DON'T MESS WITH THE PAPERWORK.

Getting married again right after a divorce happens more than you know.

On 8/6/2022 at 7:04 PM, ontheway said:

Greetings, 

Did you get married PHYSICALLY in Pakistan, or did you do a skype/phone/proxy marriage?  Just making sure

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Timeline
On 8/10/2022 at 9:27 AM, pm5k said:

Did you get married PHYSICALLY in Pakistan, or did you do a skype/phone/proxy marriage?  Just making sure

I did get married physically, in a traditional wedding. Small gathering, 200 people maybe. Had the nikah at the wedding, many pictures and stuff. The proper channel. 

The only thing I’d check is your state’s cool off period (if any) after divorce and prior to a new marriage. Some places have 6 months, some none. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
1 minute ago, milimelo said:

The only thing I’d check is your state’s cool off period (if any) after divorce and prior to a new marriage. Some places have 6 months, some none. 

None in Michigan. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.