2,958 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2023 at 8:57 PM, LYV said:

Really sad reading this, brings back memories of when it was all fresh and we didn’t know a thing about MTL and DS-5535. I know it’s tough and it may not seem like it, but there is an end to this, and you’ll survive it.

Edited by throwitaway

On 6/26/2023 at 8:16 AM, WatchingPaintDry said:

Successfully crossed the border yesterday morning via Pearson and reunited with my wife and baby girl. No issues on crossing. They took my fingerprints again and had my verify my US residential address. Now just wait for the physical card

Great news!! Congrats again! My husband crosses tomorrow morning!

On 7/4/2023 at 12:44 AM, Admitt said:

It’s been over 2 month now.

Update: i sent the consulate a email a couple of weeks ago and they sent me a response ( looks generic) however my case finally updated for the first time. Does anyone have experience with that? 

Message from them is below.

Hello, 

Thank you for your inquiry.  

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S.  Nonetheless, the Consulate in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive consular review and administrative processing. 

While we cannot predict when the processing of your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the State Department are aware of your concerns and will contact you as soon as the processing is complete. 

We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your inquiry.  

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. 

Regards,

1 minute ago, Admitt said:

Update: i sent the consulate a email a couple of weeks ago and they sent me a response ( looks generic) however my case finally updated for the first time. Does anyone have experience with that? 

Message from them is below.

Hello, 

Thank you for your inquiry.  

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S.  Nonetheless, the Consulate in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive consular review and administrative processing. 

While we cannot predict when the processing of your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the State Department are aware of your concerns and will contact you as soon as the processing is complete. 

We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your inquiry.  

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. 

Regards,

They literally sent me the same thing 10 minutes ago!

My interview date was May 26th, we sent our form on June 7th and we updated for the first time on June 20. We didn’t get an email though.. but we didn’t inquire. I’m not sure if the updating means anything because I’ve seen others on here go through several updates and still wait months. But maybe someone else that’s been here longer can comment. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not to be a downer but I was put in AP on the 27th of April and submitted my DS-5535 on May 1st. I'm past the 60 day mark now and I have not seen an update since May 5th, which was the day after I got a confirmation email from them. Processing times seem to vary by immigration type primarily, with EB folks getting through faster. We had a couple of people on this forum get through AP in about 90 days. IR-1/CR-1 folks seem to wait much much longer.

If I had to guess, the employment based folks get through faster since they are being sponsored by US based business who would suffer without them.

Apparently people get through at different speeds for a variety of reasons, but I haven't seen any IR-1/CR-1 folks get through in less than 6 months. Does anyone know of any counter examples to this?

I'm curious if @Nbc16, @Admitt, and @LYV got to fill in the Microsoft Office digital form version of the DS-5535. The new forms are supposed to speed things up. I had the older one which I just responded to directly inside the email they sent me.

2 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Not to be a downer but I was put in AP on the 27th of April and submitted my DS-5535 on May 1st. I'm past the 60 day mark now and I have not seen an update since May 5th, which was the day after I got a confirmation email from them. Processing times seem to vary by immigration type primarily, with EB folks getting through faster. We had a couple of people on this forum get through AP in about 90 days. IR-1/CR-1 folks seem to wait much much longer.

If I had to guess, the employment based folks get through faster since they are being sponsored by US based business who would suffer without them.

Apparently people get through at different speeds for a variety of reasons, but I haven't seen any IR-1/CR-1 folks get through in less than 6 months. Does anyone know of any counter examples to this?

I'm curious if @Nbc16, @Admitt, and @LYV got to fill in the Microsoft Office digital form version of the DS-5535. The new forms are supposed to speed things up. I had the older one which I just responded to directly inside the email they sent me.

I got the email one…

3 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

My DS5535 was just the old email questions that i responded to on the same day of my interview. Also, i’m a K1 visa currently on the 2 months mark. Work visas being quicker to clear make sense 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.