2,958 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ak47 said:

Hi..What would be the negative if the passport is sent ? as it is clearly mentioned in the 221g to send the passport with other documents.

Also i see @Selfmade has also sent his passport with the 221g document request.

I am just trying to make sense of things.

The negative? The consulate will hold on to the passport until the 5535 clears… which could be several months or a year plus.

On 3/30/2023 at 7:13 PM, ak47 said:

Same Happened to me and now we are back in the line waiting for our turn. Based on the experience in this forum, have to wait for 6 to 8 weeks for a reply, if no reply then people file WOM with a lawyer. Wait and watch game.

It’s not the norm for a DS-5535 to clear in 6-8 weeks. 

2 minutes ago, ak47 said:

@throwitaway

I have a similar situation where they asked for a updated job offer letter.

I think you’re confused, or you’re not understanding the process. Whatever they asked for, give it to them. If they also asked for DS 5535, that usually means you’ll be waiting a while. No point in sending your passport before your DS 5535 clears. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

I think you’re confused, or you’re not understanding the process. Whatever they asked for, give it to them. If they also asked for DS 5535, that usually means you’ll be waiting a while. No point in sending your passport before your DS 5535 clears. 

I understand DS5535 and have gone through the complete forum. So cannot agree with you on this as the CO mentioned it during the interview to send it together.

The CO mentioned in the 221g to send the requested information and the passport.

Will keep it positive. 

Edited by ak47

Timeline
On 3/30/2023 at 3:43 PM, PanFriedTofu said:

New member to this group.

At the interview (Montreal Consulate), I was issued a 221(g) white slip and my passport was returned to me on the spot.

The officer told me they had all the documents they needed and the white slip says: "Supplemental questions will be sent to you by email. Passport". Also, the signature space was left blank by the officer 😐.

Interview was March 22nd, shouldn't I have received the form already?

Hi @PanFriedTofu

Do have any update on your 221g ? Have you sent documents through AIS ?

Edited by ak47

@ak47 @throwitaway

I got the 221g with both DS-5535 request and "passports for all applicants". This is confusing.

Plan of action:

- Sent DS-5535 already and now waiting.

- will email consulate in a few days to ask if I need to send in passport

I don't think them (or us) holding the passports means anything.

Extreme vetting will take its own course and nothing is predictable at this point.

18 hours ago, Selfmade said:

During my interview the officer told me to send in my passport together with the correct RCMP criminal report that was missing for my visa to be issued since it was the only missing document.

Throwitaway ,

where is it mentioned that I shouldn’t send in my passport till am asked to?

Am confused.

thanks 

If I understand this, you were asked to send in police certificates and your passport?

If that is correct then yes you should send in both.

DS-5535 is an email and no specific form exists for Montreal (other consulates have used a form though).

I don't know why would they send someone for extreme vetting via DS-5535 but call for passports without first getting an all clear.

This is confusing.

Timeline

Based on the information shared in this forum, more recent applicants(in March) have been receiving passports mentioned in 221g white slip with other documents.

I have not seen other applicants in this forum mentioning that they have received a passports mentioned in their 221g. The CO we interviewed with mentioned us that there is no point in keeping the passports as of now as it may just be stacked or stored and it is better we send the passport later. It can also be a case by case strategy where they request passport in 221g.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
20 hours ago, ak47 said:

Hi @PanFriedTofu

Do have any update on your 221g ? Have you sent documents through AIS ?

No update as of yet - status was last updated March 23rd (day after interview) and shows up as Refused. 

I have not received any email with additional requests nor have I heard back from the consulate.

What do you mean by AIS? I did not receive any requests to send documents, yet.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, PanFriedTofu said:

No update as of yet - status was last updated March 23rd (day after interview) and shows up as Refused. 

I have not received any email with additional requests nor have I heard back from the consulate.

What do you mean by AIS? I did not receive any requests to send documents, yet.

Hi..you should send an email to check regarding the email. One of the members in the forum had the same situation where they had to contact regarding the email because they CO forgot to send it. And upon enquiring after a few weeks, the email was sent again. Just sharing what i read earlier.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.