2,958 posts in this topic

Just now, AnimeLover89 said:

Hello everyone. 

Not sure if I am at the right place but just needed some suggestions. I had my interview for ir1 at the montreal embassy on the 7th November 2022. I was approved and everything. The CO told me everything is good and told me that he will recommend me for the visa, kept my passport and told me I should receive my passport with the visa and everything within 2-3 weeks. The next day I checked my CEAC status it showed "REFUSED". I was not given 221g or anything. The CO kept my passport along with the police certificate. Its been 4 weeks and the status still shows "REFUSED". Is it normal? I haven't received any email or anything. I am a Pakistani living in Canada on a worker status. 

Were you ever refused entry at the US border? 

Just now, AnimeLover89 said:

No never been refused entry nor have overstayed. 

There was another user who was refused entry at the border - not for anything serious or anything but refused nonetheless. The officer asked her if she was and she answered truthfully. The officer thought nothing of it and approved her on the spot. Later she checked her status and she was refused. The officer called her and told her it was because of the refusal at the border. They had to call the border and confirm her story. 4 weeks later she was finally approved and her passport was mailed.

I’m in a similar situation however, I was put into administrative processing on the spot rather than being approved for the exact same reason - The refusal. Currently waiting for my status to change and my passport to be mailed out. 

1 minute ago, kryptonite said:

There was another user who was refused entry at the border - not for anything serious or anything but refused nonetheless. The officer asked her if she was and she answered truthfully. The officer thought nothing of it and approved her on the spot. Later she checked her status and she was refused. The officer called her and told her it was because of the refusal at the border. They had to call the border and confirm her story. 4 weeks later she was finally approved and her passport was mailed.

I’m in a similar situation however, I was put into administrative processing on the spot rather than being approved for the exact same reason - The refusal. Currently waiting for my status to change and my passport to be mailed out. 

I see but again why is it taking this long? I also answered everything truthfully. All my records are clean and everything. The CO was satisfied and recommended me for the visa on the spot. During these 4 weeks my CEAC updated twice but the status remained refused.

4 minutes ago, AnimeLover89 said:

I see but again why is it taking this long? I also answered everything truthfully. All my records are clean and everything. The CO was satisfied and recommended me for the visa on the spot. During these 4 weeks my CEAC updated twice but the status remained refused.

I’m not entirely sure. But, the last update date changing on CEAC means absolutely nothing.

Asfor the reason for the refusal - it could be literally anything. Really frustrating that they didn’t tell you the reason. 

1 minute ago, kryptonite said:

I’m not entirely sure. But, the last update date changing on CEAC means absolutely nothing.

Asfor the reason for the refusal - it could be literally anything. Really frustrating that they didn’t tell you the reason. 

Are they doing like thorough background checks? Because Ive read that now a refused status is same as AP. Plus I'm a Pakistani so can that be a causing all of this?

1 hour ago, AnimeLover89 said:

Are they doing like thorough background checks? Because Ive read that now a refused status is same as AP. Plus I'm a Pakistani so can that be a causing all of this?

If your CEAC is refused with a long text underneath that says “your case will remain refused while undergoing such processing blah blah” then yes, you’re in AP.

“Administrative Processing” is no longer used as a status for AP, in other words, the “we’re looking into you before we can issue your visa” step is now just called “Refused,” with some text mentioning AP underneath. 

The old “Administrative Processing” status is rarely used at all anymore. Sometimes it shows up immediately before a visa is issued, like when it’s queued up for printing.

When a CO “approved” your visa it still gets reviewed at the end of the day by the higher ups, this is where it can then be tossed into the AP pile.

It sucks. There’s nothing you can do to find out why this happened, but you’re lucky you didn’t get asked for DS 5535 (I know it’s little solace when you didn’t expect any of this, but trust me, it could be worse). You’ll probably clear in 90 days or less (they’re reviewing your application). Be sure to let us know! 

Edited by throwitaway

1 hour ago, kryptonite said:

This is an extraordinary example of someone who was told why they were refused - unfortunately the majority of us will never know.

2 hours ago, throwitaway said:

If your CEAC is refused with a long text underneath that says “your case will remain refused while undergoing such processing blah blah” then yes, you’re in AP.

“Administrative Processing” is no longer used as a status for AP, in other words, the “we’re looking into you before we can issue your visa” step is now just called “Refused,” with some text mentioning AP underneath. 

The old “Administrative Processing” status is rarely used at all anymore. Sometimes it shows up immediately before a visa is issued, like when it’s queued up for printing.

When a CO “approved” your visa it still gets reviewed at the end of the day by the higher ups, this is where it can then be tossed into the AP pile.

It sucks. There’s nothing you can do to find out why this happened, but you’re lucky you didn’t get asked for DS 5535 (I know it’s little solace when you didn’t expect any of this, but trust me, it could be worse). You’ll probably clear in 90 days or less (they’re reviewing your application). Be sure to let us know! 

Thank you. So basically emailing them is pointless I guess coz it won't get me anywhere?

6 hours ago, AnimeLover89 said:

Thank you. So basically emailing them is pointless I guess coz it won't get me anywhere?

Email them to confirm, in case they suddenly need something from you. If there’s nothing outstanding on your end they’ll reply with a “Your application is currently undergoing administrative processing and we don’t know how long this will take.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, AnimeLover89 said:

2 hours ago, throwitaway said:

Email them to confirm, in case they suddenly need something from you. If there’s nothing outstanding on your end they’ll reply with a “Your application is currently undergoing administrative processing and we don’t know how long this will take.”

I believe someone here was in refused for a month or longer and didn’t know why and didn’t get any email. But when they emailed the embassy they were told police cert was missing. So might be worth a shot to email 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

9 hours ago, AnimeLover89 said:

Not at all. I emailed the embassy 2 weeks after my interview since I was placed in administrative processing and originally was told no additional documents were needed. There was no update to my file since the day of my interview. They responded to me a week later and told me they were waiting to receive my police certificate. If I didn't email them I wouldn't have known this.

Hi Folks,

Got a question pertaining to AP. I am currently on a TN visa and a frequent traveler(US-Canada). Since I opted for consular processing, I have not had issues with border crossing. In CP the intent to immigrate triggers when we go for the visa interview. Suppose for whatever reason if the CO decides my case should go to AP and if my TN is still valid, can I cross the border for work or can I now be refused because I have shown intent by attending that interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

so i called the third party drop site where our documents first go. they confirmed that embassy picked up the documents but cant tell which date.

so embassy does have my moms documents, its like as @throwitaway mentioned, no one has actively touched the documents, hence the embassy response is that they dont have the documents, which is ridiculous. they cause so much stress!

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

54 minutes ago, BatmanFlow said:

so i called the third party drop site where our documents first go. they confirmed that embassy picked up the documents but cant tell which date.

so embassy does have my moms documents, its like as @throwitaway mentioned, no one has actively touched the documents, hence the embassy response is that they dont have the documents, which is ridiculous. they cause so much stress!

Do you mind sharing the number of the 3rd party drop site please?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.