2,958 posts in this topic

I spent WEEKS getting my together to travel 3600km for a 5 minute interview for a decision a ###### computer made. A week prior, I traveled 1200 km in the other direction for a joke medical. The whole thing cost thousands of dollars and, by the end, 3 years of our lives. Chalk up 7k more most probably for an immigration benefit that is my spouse's RIGHT as an American citizen. This process has me questioning whether I want to move at all.

I just want to be with my wife and dog, in her country of birth. That's it.

Edited by ConsistentCut

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, ConsistentCut said:

I spent WEEKS getting my together to travel 3600km for a 5 minute interview for a decision a ###### computer made. A week prior, I traveled 1200 km in the other direction for a joke medical. The whole thing cost thousands of dollars. Chalk up 7k more most probably for an immigration benefit that is my spouse's RIGHT as an American citizen. This process has me questioning whether I want to move at all.

100% echo your frustration, I really do. It is abhorrent, and unjust, and it is a completely dysfunctional system. It has put enormous strain on my marriage and my finances and my life in general. 

Ya I feel for you. I dunno why you haven't filed WOM yet, but you obviously have your reasons. We're filing it weeks before the lawyer even suggests we do it, to make up for the weeks or months of bureaucratic baloney we expect to encounter. I don't expect one inch of natural movement in this process. Maybe we get lucky, but that would go against what we've encountered so far. It's either a lawyer or wait for years, so screw it. We're committed.

Edited by ConsistentCut

Timeline
9 minutes ago, ConsistentCut said:

Ya I feel for you. I dunno why you haven't filed WOM yet, but you obviously have your reasons. We're filing it weeks before the lawyer even suggests we do it, to make up for the weeks or months of bureaucratic baloney we expect to encounter. I don't expect one inch of natural movement in this process. Maybe we get lucky, but that would go against what we've encountered so far. It's either a lawyer or wait for years, so screw it. We're committed.

Why? Yes I have my reasons: annoyance just on the principle of the thing, and the extreme amount of money involved. That's it.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, ConsistentCut said:

I spent WEEKS getting my together to travel 3600km for a 5 minute interview for a decision a ###### computer made. A week prior, I traveled 1200 km in the other direction for a joke medical. The whole thing cost thousands of dollars and, by the end, 3 years of our lives. Chalk up 7k more most probably for an immigration benefit that is my spouse's RIGHT as an American citizen. This process has me questioning whether I want to move at all.

I just want to be with my wife and dog, in her country of birth. That's it.

It definitely sucks dude, I empathize with you. 
This whole system is so broken it’s beyond laughable. 

like you can go back to America and chill with your wife and it’s all good. But they didn’t approve your visa cause they have to “extreme vet” you. Wtffff the hypocrisy and irony is nuts 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

12 minutes ago, BatmanFlow said:

It definitely sucks dude, I empathize with you. 
This whole system is so broken it’s beyond laughable. 

like you can go back to America and chill with your wife and it’s all good. But they didn’t approve your visa cause they have to “extreme vet” you. Wtffff the hypocrisy and irony is nuts 

In 2018 I told the border agent I was crossing to get married and he let me in. Returned the day I told him I was gonna. I've been there 15 times in the last few years with not so much as a handful of questions.

Never lied, never even thought about lying. Never even thought about thinking about lying.

This is random nonsense. There is no reason for any of this.

Edited by ConsistentCut

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Guess I'm the newest member of this grim gang.

Had my interview Oct 4, was told I was approved, but then on Oct. 5 was emailed the dreaded DS-5535. Still in shock.

After applying for K-1 back in April 2021 I thought there was a light at the end of this tunnel, but now there's nothing but uncertain darkness.

We will definitely look into filing a WOM, so lawyer recommendations are welcome. Also plan to request to have my passport returned.

I'm wondering if it is at all worth it to start over and file for a spousal visa instead.

If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them. In solidarity with everyone else in this unjust limbo.

Timeline
9 hours ago, jujubemom said:

The status turned to ISSUED this morning (Oct. 05)! My guess of these dates are: on Sept.9 or Sept.21 the final clearance came, but my case was not attended promptly. 
My husband contacted the congressman and their office sent an inquiry on Sept. 30th, that might helped. 

Good luck to all of you!

Did they keep the passport at the interview or did you send  it in? My husband and I are in the same situation. They requested resume and we were issued DS5535. They requested the passport pin September 15…but no updates yet. 

1 minute ago, Icecreamcastles said:

Had my interview Oct 4, was told I was approved, but then on Oct. 5 was emailed the dreaded DS-5535. Still in shock.

After applying for K-1 back in April 2021 I thought there was a light at the end of this tunnel, but now there's nothing but uncertain darkness.

We will definitely look into filing a WOM, so lawyer recommendations are welcome. Also plan to request to have my passport returned.

I'm wondering if it is at all worth it to start over and file for a spousal visa instead.

If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them. In solidarity with everyone else in this unjust limbo.

Spousal visa wont get you any closer. It also is not a for sure thing that once you get to the interview part for spousal that you wont get hit with the DS5535 again.

As for the lawyer it seems like the most common ones are Goldstein and Hacking. Cost is right around 5-7k. 

Im sorry you are here. 

22 minutes ago, Icecreamcastles said:

The folks over at PIC law are the best, Chris saved us from our first lawyer (popular WoM choice on forums like this) that screwed our WoM up real bad. Spousal visa won’t help, the 5535 is tied to your passport and you will always get it with new visa applications (H1B, who renew every few years, get 5535 infinitum so long as they got it once). 

Asking for your passport back is fine, they’ll email you to submit it again when they’re ready.

10 hours ago, ConsistentCut said:

So now I'm hearing that under "previous passports" we were supposed to include expired Canadian passports? Is this true? I put N/A and "I have only held a Canadian passport" in my DS5535 email. How do I correct this? How do I even get a copy of an expired passport? Do I include the one when I was a kid, 30 frickin years ago???

Is there ever an end to this confusion? I'm about ready to throw in the towel. This almost isn't worth it.

The form states include all passports - meaning yes, every single passport you’ve ever had. I wasn’t sure I had all my passports so I had to contact Passport Canada (you can message me for their specialized email for this) for a certified letter showing my entire passport history. It took two months. 

14 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

The form states include all passports - meaning yes, every single passport you’ve ever had. I wasn’t sure I had all my passports so I had to contact Passport Canada (you can message me for their specialized email for this) for a certified letter showing my entire passport history. It took two months. 

It says any passport you have other than the one you applied with. My opinion at the time was this meant any other countries passport. All of your previous canadian passport numbers are listed at the bottom of your current one's photo page. I'm not sending them anything else. 

8 minutes ago, ConsistentCut said:

All of your previous canadian passport numbers are listed at the bottom of your current one's photo page. 

I don’t see any previous passport numbers under my photo. Also, was just trying to help and clarify for others that read this thread. Everyone I know that filled this form included all their passports, but you can obviously do whatever you want.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Icecreamcastles said:

We will definitely look into filing a WOM, so lawyer recommendations are welcome. 

Seconding PIC Law, you can see my previous post about them, they’re not a WoM churn firm. Communication with your attorney is key, especially if it’s your first time ever suing like most of us. 

You can also branch out and have a look on AVVO, there are many DC lawyers for immigration! 

16 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

I don’t see any previous passport numbers under my photo. Also, was just trying to help and clarify for others that read this thread. Everyone I know that filled this form included all their passports, but you can obviously do whatever you want.

Ya I'm not arguing with you. There is no definitive answer because there isn't anyone "inside" we can talk to. When the guy told me to send it in "asap, like today" it precluded running around collecting expired passports.

They know your passport history in Canada when they see your bio page. It's functionally the same passport, just an updated version. I instantly assumed they meant other passports from other countries. THAT would make some sense, I guess.

So that's what they got. If they want anything else, they can specifically ask.

Edited by ConsistentCut

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.