Hawaiianparadise

Green Card Holder Minor Child of US Citizen Parent

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: India
Timeline

Hello everyone, 

I just got naturalized and became US citizen recently. My Daughter has 10 years green card and she been here in the US since 2018 but currently in India. 

My Question is: Can my daughter directly apply for US passport now with the US Embassy?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
3 hours ago, Hawaiianparadise said:

Hello everyone, 

I just got naturalized and became US citizen recently. My Daughter has 10 years green card and she been here in the US since 2018 but currently in India. 

My Question is: Can my daughter directly apply for US passport now with the US Embassy?

I think she will have to be on US soil to apply for passport or citizenship with her greencard, since she was born before you naturalized.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, Hawaiianparadise said:

Hello everyone, 

How old is your daughter?  How long has she been in India?  When is she planning to return to the US?  Answers to these questions will get you a better, more accurate response.

Filed: IR-2 Country: India
Timeline
Just now, jan22 said:

How old is your daughter?  How long has she been in India?  When is she planning to return to the US?  Answers to these questions will get you a better, more accurate response.

She is 12 years old and she been living in India for over 1 year but still doing study in the US school though online school 

2 hours ago, Hawaiianparadise said:

She is 12 years old and she been living in India for over 1 year but still doing study in the US school though online school 

If she returns to LIVE in the US with you, when she is under 18 still, she can get US citizenship /US passport. See INA320 , relevant to you are sections A and B here https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-h-chapter-4

Oh - important caveat -  did you apply for a re-entry permit for her? If not and she has been outside the US for more than a year then she may/will be presumed to have abandoned her green card. She must be a LPR for the above conditions to be satisfied. Online school is irrelevant. 

Unless she is living with a US citizen parent in India she cannot qualify for a US passport from there (but if this is the case, see https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-h-chapter-5  to see if the conditions are met).

Edited by SusieQQQ

*** Moved from Bringing Family of USC forum to Passports sub-forum US Citizenship General Discussion -- topic is about US passport for LPR minor child of a USC ***

Edited by Chancy

* not entirely sure why this thread got moved to the passports section as the child is not yet a USC and therefore does not yet qualify for a passport? 
possibly should have been moved to more general citizenship discussion?

Edited by SusieQQQ

7 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

* not entirely sure why this thread got moved to the passports section as the child is not yet a USC and therefore does not yet qualify for a passport? 
possibly should have been moved to more general citizenship discussion?

You're right.  Thanks.  Moved thread.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.