MarryMe987654

Senior Citizen Mother with No Birth Certificate

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am hoping that one of you can give me an idea of what to do.

I am going to be a U.S. citizen soon, and I am planning on petitioning my 63-year old mother.

However, I can not find any record of her birth certificate. I tried getting her record using different possible names and years of birth, but no luck. All I have are negatives saying that she has no record.

Anyway, with the negative birth certificates, we have been trying to do a late registration for her, but this is taking too long and the effort is too much (we got to do the registration of her birth certificate in Eastern Samar and we just don't have anyone reliable to help us with it).

I am also not looking forward to getting her passport and other immigration-related papers with a late-registered birth certificate (they are prone to extra scrutiny).

Does anyone else have other ideas on how to go about it?

I'm not asking for anything illegal, just another option for registering her birth certificate or maybe an agency that can help?

Your experience in dealing with a birth certificate that is 63 years old would be helpful.

Thank you all for your help.

Edited by MarryMe987654

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings!

Just follow what the Department of Foreign Affairs is asking, and it will be okay.

reference:  DFA Office of Consular Affairs

Please read the following:

Supporting Documents for Adult New Applications

In addition to the core requirements, the following supporting documents will be further required in the following cases:

In case of Late Registered Birth Certificate

• If Birth Certificate was registered at least ten (10) years ago, application will be treated as a regular application, and no additional supporting documents will be required
  • If Birth Certificate was registered less than ten (10) years ago, applicant must submit IDs that pre-date the late registration or current IDs with NBI Clearance

In case applicant has NO Birth Certificate or Report of Birth:

• If applicant is born AFTER 1950 - applicant must first file for late registration with Local Civil Registrar (LCR) or Consular Office with jurisdiction over the place where applicant was born. Applicant will then submit the original copy of the PSA authenticated late registered Birth Certificate and IDs that pre-date the late registration or current IDs with NBI Clearance.
  • If applicant is born ON OR BEFORE 1950 - applicant must submit original and photocopy of PSA Authenticated Certificate of No Birth Record and Affidavit of Two Disinterested Persons attesting to the identity of the applicant (Affidavit should include photocopy of IDs of the Two Disinterested Persons indicated in the presented document)

If an Applicant's marriage has been dissolved and wants to revert to her maiden surname

• Applicant must submit original and photocopy of PSA Birth Certificate and acceptable IDs.
  • Applicant must submit original and photocopy of the annotated PSA Marriage Certificate (MC) or Report of Marriage (ROM) stating that the marriage has been dissolved; OR

If applicant has lacking data in Birth Certificate or Report of Birth

• Applicant must present original and submit photocopy of proof of filing of supplemental report from the Local Civil Registrar (LCR)

If applicant has discrepancy in data in Birth Certificate / Report of Birth and other documents

• If the discrepant data is in the BC, the applicant must submit annotated birth certificate authenticated by PSA reflecting the corrected entry. If the discrepant data is in the other documents, the BC will be followed.
  • Discrepancy in first name - Applicant must submit the original and photocopy of the petition and supporting documents for correction of first name filed with Local Civil Registrar (LCR) or consulate
  • Discrepancy in other data - Applicant must submit annotated birth certificate authenticated by PSA reflecting the corrected entry

If applicant is a Dual Citizen

• Confirmed Online Appointment(click here)
  • Government Issued IDs (Refer to the list of valid Philippine Government Issued IDs or their secondary citizenship/residence counterparts)
    1. If the applicant possesses dual citizenship from birth (i.e. one parent is a Filipino while the other parent is a citizen from which the applicant's other citizenship is derived; or, have both Filipino parents but was born in a country which applies jus soli citizenship; etc.)
      - Original and photocopy PSA-authenticated Birth Certificate/Report of Birth
    2. If the Filipino citizenship was reacquired or retained as specified in RA 9225:
      - Original and photocopy of identification certificate issued by a Philippine Foreign Service Post (FSP) or by the Bureau of Immigration (BI)

If applicant is a Naturalized Filipino Citizen

• Original and photocopy of Identification Certificate of Naturalization from BI

If applicant obtained Filipino citizenship by Election

• Original and photocopy of Affidavit of Election of Philippine Citizenship
  • Original and photocopy of Identification Certificate of Election from BI

If applicant has been granted citizenship by Act of Legislation

• Certified true copy of the law granting citizenship
  • Foreign Birth Certificate authenticated by Philippine FSP
Edited by nelmagriffin

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings!

I am sorry, I forgot to include this in the above guidelines. Kindly read as this, it may help you to know the general knowledge with regards to your concern or simply email PSA or call them for updates.

reference: I Requested for My Birth Certificate but PSA Says It Has No Record of My Birth. How Can I Get My Birth Certificate? – FilipiKnow

I Requested for My Birth Certificate but PSA Says It Has No Record of My Birth. How Can I Get My Birth Certificate?

When the Philippine Statistics Authority or PSA (formerly NSO) is unable to retrieve your birth certificate from their database, your request will return a “negative intact” result and you’ll be issued a corresponding “Negative Results Certification” or NRC.

There’s no need to panic though because having no record of birth in PSA could mean any of the following:

• Your birth records/certificate exist but the local civil registrar (LCR) where your birth was registered hasn’t forwarded or transmitted the said files to the PSA yet. To obtain a copy of your birth certificate, you must first request an Endorsement.
  • The hospital attendant or midwife (if you’re born at home) failed to register your birth with the local civil registrar within 30 days from the time of birth. As a result, no record of your birth can be retrieved either from the PSA or the local civil registrar. If this is the case, you must file a Late Registration of Birth.
  • Your birth records exist in the local civil registrar but for some reason (e.g., due to fire, mishandling, etc.), they got lost. Through a process called Reconstruction, the LCR can help recreate your birth certificate and forward it to PSA for encoding.

Among the three mentioned above, the first one is the most common reason why PSA can’t issue your birth certificate.

Since your birth records are still intact but haven’t been forwarded to PSA yet, you can personally visit the local civil registrar where your birth was registered and do a follow-up.

File a request for endorsement of your birth certificate with the civil registrar’s office who will then verify if such record exists.

If upon checking the database they’re able to prove your birth is registered with them, you’ll be asked to pay an endorsement fee. On the other hand, if none of your records are found either at the PSA or the local civil registrar, it means you should file for a Late Registration of Birth.

After paying the endorsement fee, the civil registrar will then prepare and sign the endorsement letter with an attached copy of your birth certificate retrieved from their database.

You may get a copy of this endorsement letter along with the tracking/dispatch number, reference number, and date of delivery so you can follow up on the request with the PSA office.

After receiving the files from the civil registrar a few weeks later, the PSA will then encode your birth certificate. As soon as you’re informed that your PSA birth certificate is available, you can now request a copy either through a walk-in application or by ordering online.

If you don’t have time to personally process the endorsement, you can use the online endorsement instead.

Simply fill out the online application form and wait for the courier to pick up your payment and the documentary requirements which include:

• Printed and duly accomplished application form.
  • 2 original copies of the Notarized Special Power of Attorney.
  • Original copy of the “Negative Intact” or “Negative Results Certification” from the PSA.
  • Photocopy of any of your valid government-issued IDs.
  • Original copy of the Service Agreement with your signature.
  • Original or photocopy of your birth certificate from the LCR or previously issued by NSO/PSA.

About 7-8 weeks after the endorsement is filed with the local civil registrar, you’ll receive 2 copies of your PSA birth certificate.

Edited by nelmagriffin

1 hour ago, MarryMe987654 said:

I am also not looking forward to getting her passport

My mom got her passport after presenting her certificate of no record from PSA + her baptismal certificate from the parish church in her province + marriage certificate.  That was decades ago, though.  Not sure if DFA is more strict now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/28/2022 at 1:12 PM, Chancy said:

My mom got her passport after presenting her certificate of no record from PSA + her baptismal certificate from the parish church in her province + marriage certificate.  That was decades ago, though.  Not sure if DFA is more strict now.

This is what my dad did for my grandmother who was born during WW2. The churches thankfully had good record keeping system and govt agencies honor the baptismal cert alongside the PSA letter starting no birth record exists.

• 1 month later...

Hello y'all.... Sorry that I forgot to thank y'all for the answers.

Just an update: I ended up doing an out-of-town late registration for my mother after completing 4 of the required documents by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) in Angeles City, Pampanga.

We had to do out-of-town because my mother was born in Eastern Samar and it would be too much hassle for us to have to travel there, especially with my aging mother.

It was a very challenging experience because my mother, for whatever reason, used different names and different birthdate on her documents. We used whatever name/birthdate combination we can find to fulfill the 4 documents requirement: PhilHealth MDR, Senior Citizen document, Marriage certificate, and Baptismal certificate from her Baptist church.

Now, we just have to wait for the update from the Angeles City LCR office that the Samar LCR office acknowledged the documents.

Hope this helps!

New Petition:

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

• 1 year later...

Hi MarryMe,

I am on the same boat, however my parents are older born in 1937 and 1941. Do you have the list of acceptable documents? My mother doesn't know where she got baptized.  It's hard to produced these requirements for people these age :) and I am planning to petition them this yr.

How's your mother's late registration?

Thank you.

Hello @EM ZEE! My mother's late registration was successful. She now has a PSA birth certificate and a passport. She obtained a baptismal certificate from her Baptist church. She was baptized in early 2000 and they kept a record of it. We even had to request to have the name changed so it matches most of her legal documents.

The requirements she submitted were below:

1. Birth certificate form - she was given a blank form to fill out, then they sent it over to the registry office in the city hall of her birthplace to confirm some of details. They then send it back to the city hall that we are applying the late registration via LBC. This took about 6 weeks.
  2. Senior citizen ID
  3. Marriage certificate
  4. PSA no record certification
  5. Baptismal
  6. School records - we had to tell them that my mom did not finish elementary so she has no record on anything. This is not true but we opted to this as we do not have any school record of her at all. We tried going back to her school to get records and they cannot provide it. So we didn't have to provide this.
  7. IDs - my mom has voter's ID, TIN ID, SSS (this was a pain in the butt to get under the name she wants to use for all her records so we skipped it)

Hope this helps!

Edited by MarryMe987654

New Petition:

Great to hear your mom already completed the late registration.Thank you very much, both of my parents have no Bc and back in 2015 they were able to apply for passports with just having a negative records from NSO (now PSA). And I've heard they need a BC when I petition them, so I am asking my sibling in the Philippines to see if they can process on my parents' behalf since they're in the states currently, otherwise they will process when they get home in 1/2024. Is baptismal required? What if there is no baptismal? My mom apparently don't know where she was born exactly. She just know Baguio city.. lol

Anyway, thanks much!!!

Edited by EM ZEE

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2023 at 9:25 PM, MarryMe987654 said:

Hello @EM ZEE! My mother's late registration was successful. She now has a PSA birth certificate and a passport. She obtained a baptismal certificate from her Baptist church. She was baptized in early 2000 and they kept a record of it. We even had to request to have the name changed so it matches most of her legal documents.

The requirements she submitted were below:

1. Birth certificate form - she was given a blank form to fill out, then they sent it over to the registry office in the city hall of her birthplace to confirm some of details. They then send it back to the city hall that we are applying the late registration via LBC. This took about 6 weeks.
  2. Senior citizen ID
  3. Marriage certificate
  4. PSA no record certification
  5. Baptismal
  6. School records - we had to tell them that my mom did not finish elementary so she has no record on anything. This is not true but we opted to this as we do not have any school record of her at all. We tried going back to her school to get records and they cannot provide it. So we didn't have to provide this.
  7. IDs - my mom has voter's ID, TIN ID, SSS (this was a pain in the butt to get under the name she wants to use for all her records so we skipped it)

Hope this helps!

Hi MarryMe, I have a quick question. When the city hall received the document via lbc, was there another process that was done or they just called you and gave you the copy? I am wondering if the document sent via LBC is already psa certified or that must be done by the requesting city hall first before giving you the final doc.  Thank you in advance for your response.

On 6/16/2022 at 8:31 AM, MarryMe987654 said:

Hello y'all.... Sorry that I forgot to thank y'all for the answers.

Just an update: I ended up doing an out-of-town late registration for my mother after completing 4 of the required documents by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) in Angeles City, Pampanga.

We had to do out-of-town because my mother was born in Eastern Samar and it would be too much hassle for us to have to travel there, especially with my aging mother.

It was a very challenging experience because my mother, for whatever reason, used different names and different birthdate on her documents. We used whatever name/birthdate combination we can find to fulfill the 4 documents requirement: PhilHealth MDR, Senior Citizen document, Marriage certificate, and Baptismal certificate from her Baptist church.

Now, we just have to wait for the update from the Angeles City LCR office that the Samar LCR office acknowledged the documents.

Hope this helps!

Hi , I have a quick question. When the city hall received the document via lbc, was there another process that was done or they just called you and gave you the copy? I am wondering if the document sent via LBC is already psa certified or that must be done by the requesting city hall first before giving you the final doc.  Thank you in advance for your response.

On 12/15/2023 at 4:28 PM, RRamos said:

Hi , I have a quick question. When the city hall received the document via lbc, was there another process that was done or they just called you and gave you the copy? I am wondering if the document sent via LBC is already psa certified or that must be done by the requesting city hall first before giving you the final doc.  Thank you in advance for your response.

Hello! The LBCd document is the long form and not PSA certified yet. You will have to wait for ~2 weeks for it to be submitted (by the city hall) to PSA so you can order a PSA-certified copy of the birth certificate.

New Petition:

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year @MarryMe987654!

Thank you for all your insights here! Super happy, I came across this thread!

I find myself in a similar situation and was hoping to seek your guidance on the late registration process in Angeles LCR. Your experience would be immensely helpful.

I am particularly interested in understanding how you managed the out-of-town filing for late registration. Did you simply explain your situation, and was "out-of-town filing" the accepted term for such cases? (Just a factoid: My mother was born in Tuguegarao :))

Furthermore, could you kindly share the specific documents they required at the LCR during your late registration process? I understand that you submitted your PhilHealth MDR, Senior Citizen document, Marriage certificate, and Baptismal certificate. We have a vintage copy (non-PSA) of her Birth Certificate, and I'm optimistic it will aid in the process.

Your insights and any additional advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to follow a similar procedure to obtain a PSA Birth Certificate for my mom.

Edited by stellarskymind

My wifes sister was recently successful out-of-town late registering their mother at Angeles LCR.  They suspect that maybe she was born in Leyte but aren't even completely sure about that detail.  There is literally no record of her as a child.  Absolutely nothing.  The earliest record of her existence at all is that she was listed as the mother on some of her children's baptismal certificates.  Somewhere around 1999 the family late registered her kids including my wife, plus they late registered her marriage then too, so that is where PSA documents start mentioning her.  There are mixed ages on all of those documents and numerous other glaring discrepancies.  I really don't think anyone has any idea her true age or birth date.   They used the baptismal certificates of her kids, PSA marriage certificate and some of her kids birth certificates plus whatever new ID she has like PhilHealth etc.   I wasn't directly involved but I know they were back and forth with the Angeles LCR for a while and finally she passed and now has a "very late" registered birth certificate and passport.  I'll ask my wife if they have any advice on the process.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.