eric_and_teresa

Green Card # not found - Applying for I-131a

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline
7 hours ago, Mike E said:

The memo I linked is a pointed reminder from CBP to airlines to board pax with expired 10 year green cards.  Airlines that don’t comply with CBP policy, and attempt to be the gate keepers for citizens and aliens with a right to board risk their privilege to fly to the USA. 

I-131a is for people who have lost their green cards as https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a  says.  I consider this a waste of time.  

Once he is gone 12 months he can file for SB-1 with the embassy but that too is imho a waste of time since he doesn’t have a valid reason for being absent for 12 months or more. The embassy will likely deny SB-1.  

He should bring the memo I linked and insist the airline call the phone number that CBP has on its memo.  

Possibly.  

What is his country of citizenship? 

Thank you so much for all the pointers, I will get him this info and memo and tell him to bring it to the airline. He is from Guatemala.  Thanks again for all your help!

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

OP. What is the airline that rejected your friend to fly back ? I will try to fly with other airline and print out CBP manual that @Mike E posted and make sure your friend highlight the information

Yes, they did not let him board last week. He will try again now with the info that @Mike E has provided and memo in hand. I will keep you posted.

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.08.2011- NOA Received

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

Timeline
9 hours ago, Timona said:

1. Ask another airline if they'll let him fly. Then book.

2. Land entry.

Thank you! I am passing all these messages to him!

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.08.2011- NOA Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
29 minutes ago, eric_and_teresa said:

Thank you so much for all the pointers, I will get him this info and memo and tell him to bring it to the airline. He is from Guatemala.  Thanks again for all your help!

Incredibly he doesn’t need a visa for Schengen area but does for Mexico (and Canada but that is to be expected).  

Given the number  of Schengen area countries, it is likely he can find an airline that will board him from Europe.  

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Incredibly he doesn’t need a visa for Schengen area but does for Mexico (and Canada but that is to be expected).  

Given the number  of Schengen area countries, it is likely he can find an airline that will board him from Europe.  

Yes! Usually green card holders would not need a visa for Mexico but since his has expired, we'd back where we started. This is already costing him a pretty penny, I feel so bad for him. I will make sure to post the outcome. 

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.08.2011- NOA Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 4/29/2022 at 5:41 AM, eric_and_teresa said:

Yes! Usually green card holders would not need a visa for Mexico but since his has expired, we'd back where we started. This is already costing him a pretty penny, I feel so bad for him. I will make sure to post the outcome. 

So in this thread we’ve all been operating under the assumption that it is illegal for an LPR to file I-90 to renew a green card and thus get a one year extension (extended from the date the green card expired [usually].

Indeed https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/replace-your-green-card says:

“If you are outside the United States and your Green Card will expire within six months (but you will return within one year of your departure from the United States and before the card expires), you should file Form I-90 as soon as you return to the United States.“

and some have interpreted this as meaning you are not permitted to file I-90 from outside the USA. 

Well I personally know of people who did file I-90 from outside the USA and used the extension letter plus the expired green card to board a flight home.  

However not wanting to get into the VJ dog house I didn’t want to mention it.  

But today I came across this:

As you can see, in 2021 CBP explicitly gave the LPR the option  to file I-90 online.   

And if you read to the end of the thread that OP got a new green card ultimately.  

It is not illegal to file I-90 online from outside the USA.  

I am certain that filing I-90 online then  having a trusted person send via courier (FedEx, DHL)  the I-90 paper receipt  plus the expired green card will let the LPR board a flight.   

Edited by Mike E

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 5/1/2022 at 10:53 AM, Mike E said:

So in this thread we’ve all been operating under the assumption that it is illegal for an LPR to file I-90 to renew a green card and thus get a one year extension (extended from the date the green card expired [usually].

Indeed https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/replace-your-green-card says:

“If you are outside the United States and your Green Card will expire within six months (but you will return within one year of your departure from the United States and before the card expires), you should file Form I-90 as soon as you return to the United States.“

and some have interpreted this as meaning you are not permitted to file I-90 from outside the USA. 

Well I personally know of people who did file I-90 from outside the USA and used the extension letter plus the expired green card to board a flight home.  

However not wanting to get into the VJ dog house I didn’t want to mention it.  

But today I came across this:

As you can see, in 2021 CBP explicitly gave the LPR the option  to file I-90 online.   

And if you read to the end of the thread that OP got a new green card ultimately.  

It is not illegal to file I-90 online from outside the USA.  

I am certain that filing I-90 online then  having a trusted person send via courier (FedEx, DHL)  the I-90 paper receipt  plus the expired green card will let the LPR board a flight.   

Wow, I had no idea that was even possible, it seems like the person on the thread found a great CBP officer that went above and beyond. I had asked my sister for an update on our friend but haven't heard back from him yet. I am thinking he was successful after going directly to the airline, otherwise he would have come back to my sister's asking for help.  I will ask again and post about it when I find out. 

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.08.2011- NOA Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.