MrsH23

IN UK AFTER REFUSED

10 posts in this topic

Hi. I posted before about coming home to the UK with my husband (us citizen) after he was refused entry(refused with not enough ties to the USA back  when we were dating in 2016)

we travelled through Dublin as there was no direct flights to glasgow. We had a hard time at immigration but they let us in without “referring” us as the immigration officer kept mentioning. I showed enough ties to America as I now live there with him and work there and we have a 3 year old son. And I went prepared with documents that I would have used if we applied for a visa.

i did want to ask though, we are currently home in Scotland and due to go home next Monday but wanted to extend for another few weeks. My grandad is terminally ill. And I am not ready to leave yet(he’s having end of life care). I’m worried we leave and he passes :( 

when we are leaving to go back home to America will we have trouble with immigration again? The officer on the way in scanned all of our passports, my greencard/ licence. And our flight itinerary. i mean we have every intention to go back to the USA we have made a life there. We just want to extend our time here for a little bit. Both of our jobs know. 

for me travelling back to the USA. This is the first time I’ve traveled since getting my greencard (10 year card). Am I going to be questioned at point of entry too?

thanks in advance 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from Off Topic to the Working & Traveling forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How long have you been gone?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, powerpuff said:

Not sure what the UK Border Agency refusing entry to your US citizen husband in 2016 has to do with you flying back as a green card holder back to the US. 

It has nothing to do with it but I asked two separate questions… we are in UK now and planning to stay longer then we said at point of entry… I’m asking if the UK border will have something to say about that THEN I asked about me travelling back there …. 

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

How long have you been gone?

Just 3 weeks so far.. but wondering about Uk immigration for my husband AND US immigration for me… 

at the Dublin airport they scanned our passports etc and our flight itinerary.. will they say something if we stay longer than the 3 and a half weeks we stated at point of entry.. and then when I go back to USA will I be questioned or I’m fine because I have my greencard 

1 minute ago, MrsH23 said:

It has nothing to do with it but I asked two separate questions… we are in UK now and planning to stay longer then we said at point of entry… I’m asking if the UK border will have something to say about that THEN I asked about me travelling back there …. 

11 hours ago, MrsH23 said:

when we are leaving to go back home to America will we have trouble with immigration again?

This made it seem like it is related. And it wasn’t clear if it was two separate questions.

I don’t see why you would have trouble entering the US. You’re a permanent resident now, unless you were absent for 6 months or more, CBP will not be questioning you.

Just now, powerpuff said:

This made it seem like it is related. And it wasn’t clear if it was two separate questions.

I don’t see why you would have trouble entering the US. You’re a permanent resident now, unless you were absent for 6 months or more, CBP will not be questioning you.

Ok I have never travelled before so just wondered. Thank you! 
i read back and yes I just said “immigration” so i didn’t make it clear enough that I was referring to the UK immigration in my husbands case 

On 4/25/2022 at 5:03 PM, MrsH23 said:

Hi. I posted before about coming home to the UK with my husband (us citizen) after he was refused entry(refused with not enough ties to the USA back  when we were dating in 2016)

we travelled through Dublin as there was no direct flights to glasgow. We had a hard time at immigration but they let us in without “referring” us as the immigration officer kept mentioning. I showed enough ties to America as I now live there with him and work there and we have a 3 year old son. And I went prepared with documents that I would have used if we applied for a visa.

i did want to ask though, we are currently home in Scotland and due to go home next Monday but wanted to extend for another few weeks. My grandad is terminally ill. And I am not ready to leave yet(he’s having end of life care). I’m worried we leave and he passes :( 

when we are leaving to go back home to America will we have trouble with immigration again? The officer on the way in scanned all of our passports, my greencard/ licence. And our flight itinerary. i mean we have every intention to go back to the USA we have made a life there. We just want to extend our time here for a little bit. Both of our jobs know. 

for me travelling back to the USA. This is the first time I’ve traveled since getting my greencard (10 year card). Am I going to be questioned at point of entry too?

thanks in advance 

How long is your husband allowed to stay in the UK? What did they tell him/ stamp in his passport?

He should not stay longer than the time allowed. I believe US citizens can stay in the UK for up to 6 months but I am not sure of that rule.

Sometimes if the UK believes someone will overstay they'll inform them when they have to leave (usually the day of return ticket). But, if your husband was just given a warning you should be okay to extend your trip.

If you are worried about your husband getting into trouble with UK immigration maybe have him fly home alone while you stay in the UK with your family.

It is great you're able to spend this time with your family. And totally understandable why you are not ready to leave. 

On 4/26/2022 at 2:08 PM, ROK2USA said:

How long is your husband allowed to stay in the UK? What did they tell him/ stamp in his passport?

He should not stay longer than the time allowed. I believe US citizens can stay in the UK for up to 6 months but I am not sure of that rule.

Sometimes if the UK believes someone will overstay they'll inform them when they have to leave (usually the day of return ticket). But, if your husband was just given a warning you should be okay to extend your trip.

If you are worried about your husband getting into trouble with UK immigration maybe have him fly home alone while you stay in the UK with your family.

It is great you're able to spend this time with your family. And totally understandable why you are not ready to leave. 

They didn’t give us a time, on both my husbands and sons passports they stamped them and she wrote IT UK on it. Now sure what that means?? She didn’t write a date or anything in it. The stamp just says the date that we arrived 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.