ar & rk

"NRA" instead of ITIN on tax return?

68 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

@Wuozopo

So that is promising because it seems it would let you e-file without an SSN or ITIN.  Thanks.  

I just tried and Turbo Tax will NOT allow you to e-file without a SSN or ITIN. 

I spoke with a Turbo Tax expert and it seemed the best option for me to be able to E-FILE is to request for an extension.

Extension allows you to file your taxes up until October 17, 2022. 

I am hoping and praying that by this time, I would have received the SSN for my husband and then file the taxes electronically. 

If you opt for this option, you can file for an extension on TurboTax for your FEDERAL returns but not for the state returns. 

You can easily google how to file for an extension with your state and follow their instructions as well.

Hope this helps someone. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
16 minutes ago, NiniB. said:

I just tried and Turbo Tax will NOT allow you to e-file without a SSN or ITIN. 

Were  you trying Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately? 
No you cannot file a MFJ return by efile or mailing unless the spouse has a SSN or ITIN.

We are questioning in this topic a Married Filing Separately return.

Edited by Wuozopo

53 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Were  you trying Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately? 
No you cannot file a MFJ return by efile or mailing unless the spouse has a SSN or ITIN.

We are questioning in this topic a Married Filing Separately return.

Yes I was submitting it as "married filing separately" but TurboTax did NOT allow me to e-file without a SSN or ITIN. 

I added "NRA" to the last name.And even tried typing NRA into the SSN but this was not allowed.

Ultimately, I could not E-FILE without the SSN or ITIN.

A couple years back I was told TaxSlayer allowed you to file MFS with NRA for foreign spouse. 

Not sure if it is the same this year. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Timeline
40 minutes ago, NiniB. said:

Yes I was submitting it as "married filing separately" but TurboTax did NOT allow me to e-file without a SSN or ITIN. 

I added "NRA" to the last name.And even tried typing NRA into the SSN but this was not allowed.

Ultimately, I could not E-FILE without the SSN or ITIN.

That’s because you were trying to do a joint return. NRA only applies to Married Filing Separately. 

58 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

That’s because you were trying to do a joint return. NRA only applies to Married Filing Separately. 

It looks like that post mentioned filing Married Filing Separately so its confusing. However, there is no need to file for an extension. There is always the option to file paper and if an ITIN is needed, form W7 can be included with the paper return. 
However, my understanding is indeed that MFS status does not require an ITIN based on Form 1040 instructions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I’m curious if entering 000-00-0000 for the spouse would work

Good question.  I would like to see how their system handles that.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

They will flag it as an incorrect SSN/ITIN. 

You can prepare your return with TurboTax but if you don't have an SSN/ITIN you need to print it out and mail it in. 

As mentioned before TaxSlayer would allow you to e-file a few years back (with NRA) but I'm not sure if they allow it now as we always paper file. 

Timeline
17 hours ago, ar & rk said:

It looks like that post mentioned filing Married Filing Separately so its confusing. However, there is no need to file for an extension. There is always the option to file paper and if an ITIN is needed, form W7 can be included with the paper return. 
However, my understanding is indeed that MFS status does not require an ITIN based on Form 1040 instructions.

@NiniB.

Yes, sorry I misread the post.

I believe the reason for the extension is she thinks her husband might get his SSN before the extension deadline so she could efile. However the better reason for waiting on a SSN is her husband could qualify for the 2021 $1400 economic impact payment.

What effect to filing status have on taxes?

I did a sample TurboTax to try NRA possibilities outlined earlier in this thread. Then I went back and calculated Married Filing Jointly on his same income. I reported a foreign income of $30,000  for “Mary Smith”.

“John Smith” MFS. OWED $108 Mary didn’t file.

John and Mary MFJ with Mary applying for an ITIN. REFUND $1202

John and Mary MFJ with Mary having a SSN. REFUND $2602

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

@NiniB.

Yes, sorry I misread the post.

I believe the reason for the extension is she thinks her husband might get his SSN before the extension deadline so she could efile. However the better reason for waiting on a SSN is her husband could qualify for the 2021 $1400 economic impact payment.

What effect to filing status have on taxes?

I did a sample TurboTax to try NRA possibilities outlined earlier in this thread. Then I went back and calculated Married Filing Jointly on his same income. I reported a foreign income of $30,000  for “Mary Smith”.

“John Smith” MFS. OWED $108 Mary didn’t file.

John and Mary MFJ with Mary applying for an ITIN. REFUND $1202

John and Mary MFJ with Mary having a SSN. REFUND $2602

interesting! Does TurboTax allow you to enter foreign spouse's foreign income? That means that they calculate and apply foreign tax credits if we pick MFJ? My spouse has significant income in Canada which is why I was thinking about filing MFS. I am now wondering if I should also file out an MFJ scenario to see if it reduces the tax liability. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, ar & rk said:

interesting! Does TurboTax allow you to enter foreign spouse's foreign income? That means that they calculate and apply foreign tax credits if we pick MFJ? My spouse has significant income in Canada which is why I was thinking about filing MFS. I am now wondering if I should also file out an MFJ scenario to see if it reduces the tax liability. 

Either a foreign tax credit Form 1116 or a Foreign Earned Income Exclusion Form 2555..one or the other..  Yes to TurboTax handling those forms. If you get a SSN,  you should definitely look at filing jointly and see what the difference is. If you purchase Turbo to install on a computer, you can do as many versions as you want by saving each with a different file name. 

On 4/13/2022 at 9:19 PM, Crazy Cat said:

I also tried TurboTax and it did not work either. I asked a couple other folks (HR Block included) and none of the software take care of this scenario. The only option is to mail the return. I wrote my wife's name with "(NRA)" in front of it, under the filing status checkboxes. I check marked Married Filing Separately. I left the SSN box empty. In my situation, filing jointly would result in significant tax payment so MFS was the better option since its much closer to the Single filing status that I used last year when I did not take into account my wife's income (hence withholding was on the mark). While I am mailing the return on Monday, I am looking to pay online using irs' direct pay. Hope this helps everyone.

Edited by ar & rk

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, ar & rk said:

I also tried TurboTax and it did not work either. I asked a couple other folks (HR Block included) and none of the software take care of this scenario. The only option is to mail the return. I wrote my wife's name with "(NRA)" in front of it, under the filing status checkboxes. I check marked Married Filing Separately. I left the SSN box empty. In my situation, filing jointly would result in significant tax payment so MFS was the better option since its much closer to the Single filing status that I used last year when I did not take into account my wife's income (hence withholding was on the mark). While I am mailing the return on Monday, I am looking to pay online using irs' direct pay. Hope this helps everyone.

I also filed "Married- Filing Separately" in 2015 and 2016....by paper.  In 2017, the year my wife entered the US as a legal resident, I also filed separately since my wife had considerable foreign income.  She was a dual status alien that year.  I have found pay1040.com to be conveniently online, safe, and very inexpensive when paying additional owed taxes.  I have used them for several years with no problems.  

You can amend your taxes after your spouse receives a SSN to correct the filing status.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.