ar & rk

"NRA" instead of ITIN on tax return?

68 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Turbo tax will generate a page telling you where to mail when you say no to efiling and proceed to filing by mail. Those “Thank you for using TurboTax” print outs of course are not mailed. Just the forms with the attachment sequence. Some forms could be multiple pages so include the whole form, even though the attachment sequence only appears on the first page.

One last question, I'm assuming TurboTax does support filling out the forms in the desktop or online then printing to paper file? I just want to make sure that there is no special version for filling out the forms online then print and mail?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, A&J22 said:

One last question, I'm assuming TurboTax does support filling out the forms in the desktop or online then printing to paper file? I just want to make sure that there is no special version for filling out the forms online then print and mail?

I always install the desktop version and am not too familiar with the online screens. We just bought a disk version of TurboTax Deluxe from Amazon for $ 36.99 (because I don’t need State filing). With state is more. You don’t need fancier versions or audit defense or things they try to upsell. My wife has used Turbo over 20 years and has paper filed on occasion. Yes you complete the tax return. Check and complete any errors they bring up like missing info. When you have done all except the error you will get for spouse SSN , which you just ignore. Go to the print section and choose print for filing to get just the forms to be mailed without all the worksheets and such. Then write in NRA yourself and mail. Do save the complete file with all the worksheets for your records and maybe just the filing  version too for your records. My wife says to mail with some kind of tracking of proof of mailing at USPS.

I can do a screenshot of the print choices later on my computer. On hold waiting for Social .security to take my call (34 minutes so far. Ugh)

4 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I always install the desktop version and am not too familiar with the online screens. We just bought a disk version of TurboTax Deluxe from Amazon for $ 36.99 (because I don’t need State filing). With state is more. You don’t need fancier versions or audit defense or things they try to upsell. My wife has used Turbo over 20 years and has paper filed on occasion. Yes you complete the tax return. Check and complete any errors they bring up like missing info. When you have done all except the error you will get for spouse SSN , which you just ignore. Go to the print section and choose print for filing to get just the forms to be mailed without all the worksheets and such. Then write in NRA yourself and mail. Do save the complete file with all the worksheets for your records and maybe just the filing  version too for your records. My wife says to mail with some kind of tracking of proof of mailing at USPS.

I can do a screenshot of the print choices later on my computer. On hold waiting for Social .security to take my call (34 minutes so far. Ugh)

Thank you so much for your detailed answers, I appreciate it. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, A&J22 said:

Thank you so much for your detailed answers, I appreciate it. 

And I need to remember from last year. Not even sure if handwriting NRA is a thing anymore. But I know you can’t efile unless the IRS changed all their coding for that which I doubt because it is such a minor number of people who need that. I am busy at the moment but will look at my new Turbo desktop for 2022 and make screenshots.

And can you tell me where your wife is? It is possible to get her an ITIN and file jointly aa a “resident for tax purposes”. That’s a little complicated and still a paper filing but likely a tax advantage. And another topic entirely.

Edited by Wuozopo

31 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

And I need to remember from last year. Not even sure if handwriting NRA is a thing anymore. But I know you can’t efile unless the IRS changed all their coding for that which I doubt because it is such a minor number of people who need that. I am busy at the moment but will look at my new Turbo desktop for 2022 and make screenshots.

And can you tell me where your wife is? It is possible to get her an ITIN and file jointly aa a “resident for tax purposes”. That’s a little complicated and still a paper filing but likely a tax advantage. And another topic entirely.

I literally just e-filed in Oct. (for 2021; had an extension) but I used an accountant.  Not all accountants even know it's possible.  My original one swore it wasn't.  I had to find one that could do it.  There's nothing on the IRS end preventing it.  It's a software issue.

Timeline
43 minutes ago, JD2 said:

I literally just e-filed in Oct. (for 2021; had an extension) but I used an accountant.  Not all accountants even know it's possible.  My original one swore it wasn't.  I had to find one that could do it.  There's nothing on the IRS end preventing it.  It's a software issue.

Yes I agree. Professional tax preparers are required to efile and have software that seems to enable it. They don’t typically use consumer tax software.. It costs more is why consumers are drawn to do it themselves. Did you file MFS with no SSN for the spouse?

1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

Yes I agree. Professional tax preparers are required to efile and have software that seems to enable it. They don’t typically use consumer tax software.. It costs more is why consumers are drawn to do it themselves. Did you file MFS with no SSN for the spouse?

Yes MFS with no SSN or ITIN.

Edited by JD2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 12:09 PM, Wuozopo said:

I just finished doing my taxes using Turbotax, it's my first time filing by Mail, I have couple follow ups if you don't mind:

1- Do I need to mail 1099-B form for stock gains/losses as well as the w2 for federal and states?

2- Do I need to mail a copy of my federal taxes for the states as well?

3- Is there any form or sheet that I need to exclude for either federal or states?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.