Dwayne_UK

Car Insurance

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hi All,

I recently looked into getting a car in the usa, I was looking at getting quotes for a fairly high end car, however gieco wouldnt take into account my 13+ years UK driving experience and the preimium for the insurance was more per month than the payments on the car!

has anyone found an Insurance company that takes into account your driving experience from your home country?

Cheers

Dwayne

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No, we use Progressive and find them decent. No complaints at all ;)

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Farmer's will do so. State Farm would not (for Bulgaria, anyway)

Met Misho in Cabo San Lucas, August 3, 2003

Many trips back to Cabo, August-September, 2003

Xmas/Kolda in Bulgaria, December-January, 2004

Civil Ceremony in Sofia, Bulgaria September 8th

Appointment to file I-130 September 10, 2004. Approved!!!

Wedding Celebration with family & friends September 12, 2004

Flight back to San Diego September 14th...waiting....

Misho's VISA interview October 8th

We bought the ticket! Misho arrives October 14th!

Home together!

I-751 mailed August 15, 2006

Check cashed August 28, 2006

I-767C, Notice of Action recevied

Biometrics Appointment September 12, 2006

Approved! 10 Year Greencard received December 27, 2006

Our Wedding

April 19, 2008- Learned he was a liar, cheater and religious fanatic in that order. Filed for divorce May 2008

I have AIG with my UK license, although they didnt take into account my previous driver history they are pretty cheap.

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

I think American insurance will only base their rates on records in the U.S.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Other Timeline

we have State Farm insurance, and when we went to add me to my husband's policy I took along a printed driving report from my home province, no accidents, no tickets, they accepted that.

If you can get a report from your home country, they may accept that, but its difficult for them to just take your word for it if you've got nothing official to prove a good driving record.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We used State Farm. They were able to access my Cdn info, At least that is what they said!! I didnt have to show any of my driving records (which I did have) Best is just to sit down, make a list of the many insurance companies (google is your friend) and then sit down on the phone and compare. One would think they would al be pretty close in $$$, but they are not! best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Farmer's will do so. State Farm would not (for Bulgaria, anyway)

They do not.

There is a small loading for those that can not evidence prior insurance, you may well be able to use UK documentation to get past it.

The US premium structure is not the same as the US. Very difficult to do a comparison. A US DL is essential, and a good credit score helps.

A USC moving to the UK would be in a much worse position btw.

They can not access foreign records, not that it would matter that mutch anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
No, we use Progressive and find them decent. No complaints at all ;)

Another Progressive clients here. Hubby and I use them when I first got here. They took me even with only Indonesian license. Rate was a bit higher (mainly due to the foreign license issue), but not too bad. They adjusted our premium once I got my US license, and they also gave us discount after 6 months since we didn't claim nor got any tickets.

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Filed: Timeline

We use commerce insurance and I was added to my husbands insurance before we were married using my UK photo licence and paper print out and I downloaded from DVLA an explanation of the licence.... we did not have to pay any extra for me to be added and all I had to do was obtain my State DL within 12 months of entry to US.... and notify them when I got a SSN...

Kezzie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.