abaa

Timing Trips to Manila

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancé and I will be completing the DS-160 soon and we should have an interview date shortly. I know we will need to schedule an exam at SLEC and I was wondering about optimal timing of the appointment. My fiancé lives in Mindanao, so it would be preferable to do the exam on the same trip as the interview. My question is, what is the best amount of time between the exam and the interview? I would prefer to have the dates close enough to do on the same trip, but I would also like a cushion of time in case there is some problem with the exam.

My second question regarding timing is the amount of time between the interview(assuming an approval) and receiving the visa. I’m wondering if it is better for her to return home to Mindanao while she waits for the visa or to stay in Manila and wait there since she will most likely need to fly from there when traveling to the US.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Complete the medical a full 24 hrs before the interview date .. just in case, as the embassy requires a 24hr notice should there be issue with the medical

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Complete the medical a full 24 hrs before the interview date .. just in case, as the embassy requires a 24hr notice should there be issue with the medical

Thank you for the info Hank.

Timeline

My Fiancee had her interview set for a Thursday, She flew to Manila on a Sunday, medical on a Monday ( all day there ) they had her come back Tuesday to finish (only took an hour ). She received her package for the Embassy then, She chilled Wednesday and did the interview Thursday and then flew back to Leyte Friday.

I knew we could have done it faster but I didn't want to take chances, St Lukes is a gamble on their timing. I figured a couple extra days for a hotel was worth the price.

We had her visa sent to Leyte because ( at least for us ) it took 2 weeks for them to send it. I see some cases where the visa is issued within a couple days, and some take a few weeks....

Timeline
2 minutes ago, RUJEN said:

My Fiancee had her interview set for a Thursday, She flew to Manila on a Sunday, medical on a Monday ( all day there ) they had her come back Tuesday to finish (only took an hour ). She received her package for the Embassy then, She chilled Wednesday and did the interview Thursday and then flew back to Leyte Friday.

I knew we could have done it faster but I didn't want to take chances, St Lukes is a gamble on their timing. I figured a couple extra days for a hotel was worth the price.

We had her visa sent to Leyte because ( at least for us ) it took 2 weeks for them to send it. I see some cases where the visa is issued within a couple days, and some take a few weeks....

Thanks, I appreciate the timeline from someone who has gone through this recently. It gives me a good idea how to plan.

13 hours ago, RUJEN said:

13 hours ago, abaa said:

Thanks, I appreciate the timeline from someone who has gone through this recently. It gives me a good idea how to plan.

abaa, in RUJEN's timeline, just don't forget your RT-PCR Negative result within 3 days of medical day, you will not be able to enter SLEC without it.

Timeline
1 minute ago, hunny&me said:

abaa, in RUJEN's timeline, just don't forget your RT-PCR Negative result within 3 days of medical day, you will not be able to enter SLEC without it.

Thank you for the tip. It would be terrible to miss an appointment over something like that.

1 minute ago, abaa said:

Thank you for the tip. It would be terrible to miss an appointment over something like that.

must be DOH accredited too!  >> https://doh.gov.ph/licensed-covid-19-testing-laboratories

Timeline
5 minutes ago, hunny&me said:

It looks like she will also need that test for her flight to Manila. I hope we can just stay within the time thresholds and use the same test, that way she can get it done before she leaves. Thank you for the list.

@RUJEN had great suggestions for timing. @abaa I would only add that it's best to get a hotel within walking distance of SLEC and the US embassy. I'm currently in Manila and traffic is pretty much back to pre-pandemic levels. It can get ages to get anywhere.

Hmmm? That date is sus.  Maybe you get to the front of SLEC and the security guard says "APRIL FOOLS"🙄🤪  (just kidding......????)

22 hours ago, hunny&me said:

E3CFB452-CCDE-4E4F-876B-D6E89C961377.jpeg

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

An answer to your second question is right here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MNL-Manila.html#medical_exam_instructions

It states right there IN RED that you should schedule the exam 2 weeks before the interview. 

The sentence is ambiguous.  It could mean that you should carry out the action of scheduling 2 weeks before your interview, or it could mean that you should schedule beforehand so that your medical appointment will occur 2 weeks before your interview appointment.   I think it means the latter, or at least I think that is what they meant to say, or perhaps they meant to say, "at least 2 weeks before", although that is, in fact, not what was said there.

We are considering having my wife take an early trip to Manila in order to do the medical, before we even get the interview date, since the medical is purported to be good for 6 months, and it has been reported recently that some people have had trouble getting it done before the interview.  I also read that at the Manila Consulate, you are not allowed into the interview without the medical already completely accomplished with the approval document in hand.

Edited by Steve2022

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.