sourumeboshi

L1 with k1 pending

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Im just wanting some general advice or thoughts. Currently my fiance and I have a k1 petition pending approval. 

But the company I work for is incredibly keen to transfer me to the states and head up the marketing efforts there.

Is there any draw back to starting the L1 with an expedite? Has anyone done this before? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

L1 is a much much better option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not even close.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Do it! My husband came over on an L1 and was working and able to travel back and forth from the UK from day 1. We also were able to spend ample time together as boyfriend and girlfriend and then as fiances before we married. We got to live together and make sure this was 100% what we wanted. 

If you are eligible for an L1, do it. Even if you know for certain that you are going to get married, it is such a relief to know that there's no fast-ticking clock for AOS. You set the pace, more or less. My husband was in the US for three years before we got married!

On top of it all, you have a job from day 1, ability to get a driver's license, to leave the country, get an SSN, all the stuff that's a pain when you're adjusting from a K1. (Been there, done that, with marriage #1.)

Good luck!!

Edited by laylalex

15 hours ago, laylalex said:

Do it! My husband came over on an L1 and was working and able to travel back and forth from the UK from day 1. We also were able to spend ample time together as boyfriend and girlfriend and then as fiances before we married. We got to live together and make sure this was 100% what we wanted. 

If you are eligible for an L1, do it. Even if you know for certain that you are going to get married, it is such a relief to know that there's no fast-ticking clock for AOS. You set the pace, more or less. My husband was in the US for three years before we got married!

On top of it all, you have a job from day 1, ability to get a driver's license, to leave the country, get an SSN, all the stuff that's a pain when you're adjusting from a K1. (Been there, done that, with marriage #1.)

Good luck!!

Thank you! I'll chat to my work today. 

My SO seems to think it's a bad idea but he also said the cr1 was a bad option so as joey would say his opinions is moo 😂

On 3/15/2022 at 3:07 PM, sourumeboshi said:

Thank you! I'll chat to my work today. 

My SO seems to think it's a bad idea but he also said the cr1 was a bad option so as joey would say his opinions is moo 😂

L1 is a lot better. My partner had an L1 and his visa was super fast. The company's lawyers will do all the paperwork and you just need to go to the consulate and get a stamp on your passport.

Then, when you are ready and in the US, you can get married without any pressure/time constrained, and apply for a GC through marriage.

Edited by Coco8

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Estonia
Timeline
On 3/16/2022 at 5:23 PM, Coco8 said:

L1 is a lot better. My partner had an L1 and his visa was super fast. The company's lawyers will do all the paperwork and you just need to go to the consulate and get a stamp on your passport.

Then, when you are ready and in the US, you can get married without any pressure/time constrained, and apply for a GC through marriage.

There is still an interview in the process too right?

1 hour ago, Mari_Justin said:

There is still an interview in the process too right?

Yes, but it's mostly a formality as long as you pass the background check they do. You need the interview to get the stamp on the passport.

The reason why it's a formality is because the lawyers send a petition to USCIS and when it's approved, it's sent to the consulate. This is a very technical petition so the consulate has no reasons to go against USCIS. They ask some basic questions like "what do you do?" "where are you going to work?", things you already know about. Then they'll get the stamp on the passport.

Edited by Coco8

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.