Journey22

Divorce during i751 Pending

45 posts in this topic

I have tried so hard to wait and work on my marriage but my husband doesn't care. He has been constantly cheating. Before he told me that he wanted to divorce me. Eventually, when I agreed he still didn't. I am not sure what to do? Cultural stuff: If I did, it's gonna be really terrible for me being a woman. 

If I decided to initiate the divorce, do I need to hire an attorney? They are so expensive! I am ready to move on but really stuck. He is neither willing to work or even communicate, nor willing to leave me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There was an article I read recently that stated that most divorces are initiated by women, apparently 90% if college educated so no issues there.

Whether you need a lawyer normally revolves around money and children

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

There was an article I read recently that stated that most divorces are initiated by women, apparently 90% if college educated so no issues there.

It's not that. My culture is what I am worried about and the backlash plus sick mom. It's a lot. He is the one who doesn't wanna be with me so it's so unfair to play games. I am so tired of these games while the society is gonna blame me anyway! 

15 minutes ago, Boiler said:

We don't have kids and I don't need money from him. He is not gonna give me anything anyway as he never gave me money he was responsible for as per our marriage terms religiously. Besides, I am financially independent. 

4 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You need to check the requirements in your state.

Search online for no-fault and uncontested divorce.

My state is a no-fauly state. But if I ended up not doing anything as that's what my family would want me to be more patient and wait, what can I do? Are there other options?

1 minute ago, Journey22 said:

My state is a no-fauly state. But if I ended up not doing anything as that's what my family would want me to be more patient and wait, what can I do? Are there other options?

The main problem is the I-751 process.

You filed jointly and that requires you to still be married. 

If you're separated and divorcing, you must ask for a divorce waiver and they will issue an RFE for the divorce decree. 

When did you file for removal of conditions? Did you enter the US with a spousal visa?

1 minute ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

If you're separated and divorcing, you must ask for a divorce waiver and they will issue an RFE for the divorce decree. 

When did you file for removal of conditions? Did you enter the US with a spousal visa?

I filed a year ago jointly with him. Since he is cheating, He will never go to the interview anyway. I can wait and see what happens but I am getting so fed up as he doesn't come home for days

3 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

I don't want to divorce because of cultural reasons but I am getting tired now

3 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

before I was emotional and waiting for him to come back but he clearly doesn't want to. Not syre why is he wasting my time and causing me so much stress

4 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

We are not separated I am covered by his insurance He is a beneficiary on my financial stuff and also on my insurance and everything even life insurance. He just doesnt wanna communicate and work on the marriage because this setup works for him. Wife for society and other women for himself

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

From an immigration perspective which is all we can comment on here the current situation is not tenable 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.